compaq presario 4640 motherboard

I am looking for a replacement motherboard for my computer,prefably a
used one that I cam afford.It currently has a 266mhz processor but
the onboard audio quit working and has no sound. Janko

==============
More about compaq presario 4640 motherboard

    I am not familiar with that exact model of Presario, but most of the earlier
    Presarios used motherboards with proprietary shapes and/or cables and
    connectors. I think there are a couple of possibilities:

    1. Simply buy and install a sound card. This is probably the easiest and least
    expensive solution.
    2. Replace the entire chassis and motherboard.
    3. Get the exact motherboard as a replacement. HPaq spare parts probably cannot
    help here, because they only stock spare parts for selected newer models.
    4. Identify a Compaq part number which will fit the Presario case physically,
    and maybe upgrade the motherboard a bit, say, to a Pentium III.

    One of my clients had a newer Presario with newer Athlon CPU, and the
    motherboard bit the dust completely. I ended up replacing the chassis and
    motherboard, which worked out well... Ben Myers

    On 11 Sep 2004 23:03:03 -0400, janko1954@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (janko)
    wrote:

    >I am looking for a replacement motherboard for my computer,prefably a
    >used one that I cam afford.It currently has a 266mhz processor but
    >the onboard audio quit working and has no sound. Janko
    >
    >==============
    >Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

    I am looking for a replacement motherboard that will work in this
    model because it has an onboard sound(ESS) and it is the only way to
    use the volume controls on the monitor and tower unit.I tried a sound
    card in a PCI slot,but can't use volume controls only placing the
    sound card volume control in the system tray.Also I am doing a total
    upgrade to this;256MB RAM,40GB HD and possibly a faster processor.
    Janko

    ==============

    I think you're wasting your money. You can buy a nice entry-level Dell
    Dimension 2400 for under $400.

    Tom
    "janko" <janko1954@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >I am looking for a replacement motherboard that will work in this
    > model because it has an onboard sound(ESS) and it is the only way to
    > use the volume controls on the monitor and tower unit.I tried a sound
    > card in a PCI slot,but can't use volume controls only placing the
    > sound card volume control in the system tray.Also I am doing a total
    > upgrade to this;256MB RAM,40GB HD and possibly a faster processor.
    > Janko
    >
    > ==============
    > troubleshooting newsgroups.

    I can't seem to get much help from HP/Compaq support.I don't have the
    money to buy another computer and I am buying what I need through
    ebay but I need the correct part numbers that will be compatible with
    this system.PowerLeap web site says that this model can be upgraded
    from the 266Mhz to a 733MHz P3 boxed coppermine slot 1,whatever that
    means
    and I need a used motherboard that has the onboard audio(ESS) to use
    the control knob on monitor and the buttons on the tower. Janko

    ==============

    Powerleap is wrong I think. The 4640 uses an Intel 440LX chipset. No way it
    will run a Coppermine PIII. As for the motherboard only an exact replacement
    from Compaq will work Due to the proprietary connectors, including the power
    supply. Also, there is an 8 GB hard drive size limit in BIOS on that model,
    so you would have to add a PCI IDE controller card to use a larger drive.For
    all of these reasons, follow Tom's advice. Save up and get another PC.
    HH

    > I can't seem to get much help from HP/Compaq support.I don't have the
    > money to buy another computer and I am buying what I need through
    > ebay but I need the correct part numbers that will be compatible with
    > this system.PowerLeap web site says that this model can be upgraded
    > from the 266Mhz to a 733MHz P3 boxed coppermine slot 1,whatever that
    > means
    > and I need a used motherboard that has the onboard audio(ESS) to use
    > the control knob on monitor and the buttons on the tower. Janko
    >
    > ==============
    troubleshooting newsgroups.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    The best this system can do as far as speed is concerned is a Socket 370 766MHz
    Celeron with a slotket that mediates the voltage between CPU and motherboard.
    PowerLeap sells this sort of slotket, but it is pricey. Add the costs of a
    replacement motherboard, larger hard drive, PCI IDE disk controller, Celeron
    CPU, and slotket, and the total is in the neighborhood of a new system. And
    there is always the downside risk that the Presario BIOS will balk at accepting
    a Celeron.

    Frankly, I sell fully outfitted refurbs with legal operating system installed
    for less than all the kit it would take to bring the Presario 4640 up to an
    almost respectable and functional level... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:01:44 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Powerleap is wrong I think. The 4640 uses an Intel 440LX chipset. No way it
    >will run a Coppermine PIII. As for the motherboard only an exact replacement
    >from Compaq will work Due to the proprietary connectors, including the power
    >supply. Also, there is an 8 GB hard drive size limit in BIOS on that model,
    >so you would have to add a PCI IDE controller card to use a larger drive.For
    >all of these reasons, follow Tom's advice. Save up and get another PC.
    >HH
    >
    >"janko" <janko1954@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> I can't seem to get much help from HP/Compaq support.I don't have the
    >> money to buy another computer and I am buying what I need through
    >> ebay but I need the correct part numbers that will be compatible with
    >> this system.PowerLeap web site says that this model can be upgraded
    >> from the 266Mhz to a 733MHz P3 boxed coppermine slot 1,whatever that
    >> means
    >> and I need a used motherboard that has the onboard audio(ESS) to use
    >> the control knob on monitor and the buttons on the tower. Janko

    >> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    >troubleshooting newsgroups.

Compaq Motherboards Computers Product