Cannon MP360 driver / XP bug?

I have a Cannon MP360 (usb) printer scanner combo (new at
Christmas) which was working fine until about 2 months
ago. Then one day when attempting to print, a window
opened saying 'printer offline' - it wasn't. Oh dear;
uninstall and try to re-install again. Now it doesn't
appear in printers and faxes, even after multiple
attempts, so I can't select it in applications. The USB
controllers etc in device manager all appear ok, and I
can use it as a scanner, so it can't be a USB problem. It
appears under printers in device manager/show hidden
devices, and is always detected as 'new hardware found
and installed' when the machine is booted. The printer
works fine on another machine. Have tried new drivers
from Cannon's website rather than the supplied CD.
Cannon's help desk say they can't help further..must be a
windows problem.

I run Win XP home (have kept it updated) and Norton AV,
which was disabled at initial and subsequent installation
attempts. No other USB devices connected (ever) and have
resorted to a V.old parallel port printer to get things
done..
Hope someone can help..any guidance appreciated.
John.
2 answers Last reply
More about cannon mp360 driver

    Just like the Lexmark All in Ones, the Canon All in Ones install a Service
    as part of the driver installation. To completely uninstall and reinstall
    the printer, you have to follow Bruce Sanderson's instructions at

    First completely disconnect the printer from the PC.... then work through
    his page....

    After the cleanup, reboot. Do NOT reconnect the MP360 to the PC.

    Download a new set of the software from the Canon website...
    http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprDriversTypeSystemV2.jsp?minisite=10000&type=Software&prodref=PS&subtype=Software&group_id=-1&level2catq=AllCats&x=2section=0&modelid=9526&section=10275&pname=MultiPASS%20MP360#windr
    (Should you get confused at Bruce's uninstall instructions there is also an
    Uninstall utility at the Canon website at the above page)

    Install the software and do NOT reconnect the MP360 until the software tells
    you to do so.

    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Cannon MP360 (usb) printer scanner combo (new at
    > Christmas) which was working fine until about 2 months
    > ago. Then one day when attempting to print, a window
    > opened saying 'printer offline' - it wasn't. Oh dear;
    > uninstall and try to re-install again. Now it doesn't
    > appear in printers and faxes, even after multiple
    > attempts, so I can't select it in applications. The USB
    > controllers etc in device manager all appear ok, and I
    > can use it as a scanner, so it can't be a USB problem. It
    > appears under printers in device manager/show hidden
    > devices, and is always detected as 'new hardware found
    > and installed' when the machine is booted. The printer
    > works fine on another machine. Have tried new drivers
    > from Cannon's website rather than the supplied CD.
    > Cannon's help desk say they can't help further..must be a
    > windows problem.
    >
    > I run Win XP home (have kept it updated) and Norton AV,
    > which was disabled at initial and subsequent installation
    > attempts. No other USB devices connected (ever) and have
    > resorted to a V.old parallel port printer to get things
    > done..
    > Hope someone can help..any guidance appreciated.
    > John.

    Cari,
    Downloaded the drivers from the Canon US site last night.
    (Painful on dial up!)
    Went through all Bruce's instructions to the letter.
    The Canon driver install software does NOT ask for you to
    connect the USB / MP360 but just says its finished. I
    then connected the USB. Hate to say this, but I'm in the
    same position as before....Great scanner / copier, no
    printer! Fine on another PC.
    I've tried the Canon uninstall before, as instucted by
    their support desk. Tried it again - nothing.
    Any further ideas anyone?
    John.

    1&level2catq=AllCats&x=2section=0&modelid=9526§ion=10275&p

USB Printers Windows XP