Sign in with
Your question

FPS Lag with good Rig...GOing to rip my hair out!

Last response: in Video Games
March 31, 2012 4:10:57 AM

First of, thankyou for taking the time to view my thread :D  Now to the stuff

On so many games, such as fallout 3, tribes ascend, teamfortress 2,Batman arkham asylum, even a blocky game like brick force ive been getting quit bad fps :fou:  . On each of these games on LOW i never go above 60 and drop quite a bit around 30-40 when im around alot of action. Ive been trying to solve this problem for a while so i hope you guys here will be able to help me!

My Specs:
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
DirectX Version 11
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
Radeon Hd 6870
PLenty Of space left

Drivers all updated

Thanks in advance!
March 31, 2012 4:15:01 AM

Make sure you have vsync and triple buffering disabled both in-game as well as in catalyst/ati tray tools. Don't enable PhysX in Arkham Asylum. Don't enable anti-aliasing in any of those titles. Overclock CPU as best you can. Also what resolution are you playing at? 6870 will be fine in this games but only to 1920x1080 at the max.
m
l
March 31, 2012 4:18:54 AM

I play dirt Low in all of those, Only thing that takes alot is 1600x900 full screen, everything else is at minimal, and disabled if possible, ill have to check to see if they are disabled in catalyst/ati tray tools.
Thanks for the quick reply ^^

Edit: Checked Catylist settings, no option for vsync, and triple buffering is off.
GOing to use the overclocking feature to boosst it up, ill post the results later
Edit 2: When i overclock it seems to randomly pause for a second, sometimes crashing when overclocking alot, probably going to test with more games later
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2012 8:07:01 AM

Kirby1337 said:
I play dirt Low in all of those, Only thing that takes alot is 1600x900 full screen, everything else is at minimal, and disabled if possible, ill have to check to see if they are disabled in catalyst/ati tray tools.
Thanks for the quick reply ^^

Edit: Checked Catylist settings, no option for vsync, and triple buffering is off.
GOing to use the overclocking feature to boosst it up, ill post the results later
Edit 2: When i overclock it seems to randomly pause for a second, sometimes crashing when overclocking alot, probably going to test with more games later

The crashing is due to having your overclock set too aggressively for the voltage you're giving it. How high are you pushing for?
m
l
March 31, 2012 1:26:48 PM

I just maxed out the "High GPU Clock Settings" at 1000 MHZ, it was originally at 900MHZ when i enabled overdrive. Theres also "High preformance memory clock", what should i do with that one? and how do i check my voltage? Sorry im really bad at computers :p 
Btw i have 600W Power supply
m
l
March 31, 2012 6:50:15 PM

btw i recently sent my card back for warrenty, thinking it was the card, and it came back, and im still lagging.
m
l
April 1, 2012 1:06:52 AM

go into ccc pannel and click the defaults button under GAMING/ 3d aplication settings.
it sounds like you have inadvertently set vsnc to be on permanently...
also by using default you will turn off any other settings that you may have wrongly adjusted...

ccc panel should only be used to adjust game settings if the game doesnt allow it. always use the in game settings first as using the ccc panel can cause serious performance hits if you select the wrong setting for a game...

you should now be able to max out most of your games from inside the games menu... without the massive performance hit your getting...
below is roughly what you should now get...
also make sure your running the latest 12.3 amd drivers.
fallout 3, max settings 60+fps avg

tribes ascend, max settings 60+ avg
teamfortress 2, 100+ fps max settings.

Batman arkham asylum 60+ max settings but turn physics off or you will be down in the low 30's

m
l
April 4, 2012 9:02:46 PM

Thanks for replying, my Vsnc was set at of unless app applies. and i put it to always off, same with anti alias, and that didnt help :( 
I also reinstalled windows but that didnt help either. I ran benchmark tests and it looks all good, anyone else have any ideas?
m
l
April 4, 2012 9:28:04 PM

Btw could my PSU not be enough at 600W? Are there any tests i can run to see if my PSU is the problem?
m
l
April 5, 2012 2:24:09 AM

bump, please help!!
m
l
April 5, 2012 2:57:00 AM

Dude, just try it with no oc, or with a mild oc. You're pushing it too hard by maxing the slider out. Also, you probably want to move the "power control" slider to give it more room.
m
l
April 5, 2012 8:58:32 PM

Right now its now even overclocked and it still lags, the only thing left that i can think of is my motherboard, mabye its not good enough?
m
l
April 5, 2012 10:00:16 PM

Hi can you start from beginning?

What the game is lagging what are your temperatures for CPU and GPU? What about utilization? What are the clock speeds?

Try to figure out what's causing the problem first
m
l
April 6, 2012 1:02:34 AM

THats what im doing, its not overheating, and im not overclocking, benchmark tests say everything is running fine, so i think my motherboard is not good enough to handle my other hardware
m
l
April 6, 2012 2:29:06 AM

what motherboard do you have, it's socket 775, may only be PciE 1.0 compliant, and you are running a HD 6870 which is probably PciE 2.1, if it is, there's your problem, The PciE lane can't keep up with video data so it crashes, runs buggy. Also running older processor, this is main reason when you change resolutions you see no difference, CPU can't push past a certain limit, even if it's quad, already 2 new technologies have come and a third on the way. these cards where made in last year, CPU is about 4 years old at least. Get faster CPU and newer, frame rates go up
m
l
April 6, 2012 4:06:16 AM

I have a Eureka3 From Pegatron Corp, which is PRETTY crappy im betting. Do you thats the problem? if it is do you think you could reccomend a better motherboard?
m
l
April 6, 2012 12:12:51 PM

if you change the motherboard it would be best that you changed the CPU along with it. No point investing in old tech
m
l
April 6, 2012 1:54:18 PM

Yeah the thing is that im kinda on a low budget :( , if i just replaced the motherboard will i be able to start running the games smoothly?(see 1st post)
m
l
April 8, 2012 3:26:48 AM

unfortunately due ti it being old technology, you may not find one at least PciE 2.0 compliant (need this at least to run newer cards) and the board may cost more then a newer one, the ones here are at least $115 CDN and a new AM3+ is $60..... you probably won't see any improvement unless it's compliant, then you are limited to CPU speed, I had the Q8100 and OC'd it to 2.5 with a 8800GT and it rolled, but not well, when I changed to a AMD Athlon X2 6400+ it almost doubled in framerates, now my new rig flies and I only have the HD5770 and skyrim on high detail is 60+ FPS even in a crowd, more like 75 FPS in open areas. I tested with FRAPS, system runs great.
m
l
April 9, 2012 12:35:07 AM

your getting software lag so your gonna swap hardware? makes no sence...
obviously your system is having a problem that wasnt there b4...
also i didnt say run the game with vsnc off you want to turn it on turning it on will sync your game and stop the stutter. which is after all why you asked for help...
m
l
!