Belkin router - turn off wireless?

Is there a method or hack to turn off and disable the wireless feature
of a Belkin ADSL modem Wireless router F5D7633-4?

I only need to use it in wired mode and it interferes with my TV
sender and the TV sender when on causes intermittent Internet access
through the router.

I only bought the wireless version as it seems impossible these days
to find a wired only router.

cheers

Bob
10 answers Last reply
More about belkin router turn wireless

    saracenia-usenet@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > Is there a method or hack to turn off and disable the wireless feature
    > of a Belkin ADSL modem Wireless router F5D7633-4?

    Does it have external antennas?
    If so, unplugging may work.

    On 11 Sep 2005 11:36:08 GMT, Ian Stirling <root@mauve.demon.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >saracenia-usenet@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >> Is there a method or hack to turn off and disable the wireless feature
    >> of a Belkin ADSL modem Wireless router F5D7633-4?
    >
    >Does it have external antennas?
    >If so, unplugging may work.
    yes it has two stubbies which swivel and bend out to 90deg, but they
    seem integral to the case and cannot be removed from outside. As is
    only few weeks old am reluctant to dismantle case (for warranty reason
    only)...but as last resort maybe will have to.

    tnx

    Bob

    > >Does it have external antennas?
    > >If so, unplugging may work.
    > yes it has two stubbies which swivel and bend out to 90deg, but they
    > seem integral to the case and cannot be removed from outside. As is
    > only few weeks old am reluctant to dismantle case (for warranty reason
    > only)...but as last resort maybe will have to.

    Just removing the antennas isn't a great idea, you'd have more luck if
    the unit contained say a miniPCI or PCMCIA card which you could unplug.
    Although you might then find that if the router does a self check and
    fails on the radio initialisation that it fails entirely.

    David.

    <saracenia-usenet@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >If so, unplugging may work.
    > yes it has two stubbies which swivel and bend out to 90deg, but they
    > seem integral to the case and cannot be removed from outside. As is
    > only few weeks old am reluctant to dismantle case (for warranty reason
    > only)...but as last resort maybe will have to.
    >
    > tnx
    >
    > Bob

    Nothing in the menus to disable the radio(s)? If not, and you don't want to
    open it up, just wrap the antennas in a few layer of aluminum foil and
    swivel them in such a position where they can't be seen as an eye sore.
    Seriously, just a few layers of foil will very effectively block all it's
    RF.

    Cheers,
    Eric

    Is there no switch in the control pages?

    I have one on my Netgear and use it frequently. The best security is
    OFF when not needed.

    saracenia-usenet@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > Is there a method or hack to turn off and disable the wireless feature
    > of a Belkin ADSL modem Wireless router F5D7633-4?
    >
    > I only need to use it in wired mode and it interferes with my TV
    > sender and the TV sender when on causes intermittent Internet access
    > through the router.
    >
    > I only bought the wireless version as it seems impossible these days
    > to find a wired only router.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Bob

  6. 8O I know I'm posting like two years later -
    But
    I had a similar problem with my brand-spankin' new Belkin F5D7230-4
    It turns out the IS a way to switch OFF the wireless on this unit.
    You have to go in to the browser based interface, and explicitly go back
    to the 'wireless' link to find the soft switch for the wireless.
    It is even in the documentation, but It wasn't obvious for a major feature.

    Also, the Belkin tech support either misunderstood what I was asking for,
    or didn't know their own stuff all that well.

    Hopefully your problem is solved by now. Pehaps Belkin added this feature after reading your original post.

    By the way, wrapping a wireless router in aluminum foil and sticking it in an aluminum pressure cooker only seemed to degrade the signal by about half.
  7. Hi, haroldb2:

    Can you please let us know which firmware version you have installed in your F5D7230-4 router?. I have one as well (bought back in 2005) , but can't find that "wireless soft-switch" you mentioned in your post.

    Thanx in advance.
  8. Ha, I found the way to turn off the wireless function:

    In web control: 192.168.2.1

    Wireless > Channel and SSID

    Wireless Mode > select OFF to turn off the wireless.

    Here is the description on the manual:

    This switch allows you to set the Router’s wireless modes. There are
    several modes.
    Note: Some modes may require firmware updates to be enabled.
    1) Off
    This mode will turn OFF the Router’s access point, so no wireless
    devices can join the network. Turning off the wireless function of your
    Router is a great way to secure your network when you are away from
    home for a long period of time, or don’t want to use the wireless feature
    of the Router at a certain time.

    Good Luck
  9. Holy necro, this thread is from 2005!
  10. With my Belkin N+ I get an "Invalid Character" popup and I'm not allowed to cut off the wireless. I am allowed to make other changes but I am not allowed to cut off the wireless.

Wireless Routers Belkin Internet Wireless Networking