Asus CUSL2-C & P3-933 What Temp?

G

Just put this together (no o/c) boxed CPU with Intel Fan and thermal pad(ECH!) System open and Bios reads CPU 52.5 to 54C at Idle. Seems a tad hot to me as my other system is a TB800/KT7 Raid and its at 38 to 42C. Anybody know whats normal for this setup? BTW Mobo temp 27C.

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My PIII-500@620 on an Asus P3B-F runs around there as well. I havn't had any problems with it. (they have similar heat outputs)

- JW

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your program is probably in error. Download Asus Probe version 2.12.07 from Asus or www.cusl2.com and find out what your real temps are. You should only be running between 33 and 40 at idle and between 45 and 52 at max load.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Thanks for the input. Took the Heatsink and Fan off to make sure it was hitting thermal pad and it was dead center and tight as a tick. Hm-m-m-m! While I got it off I think I'll add a very thin coat of thermal grease to see if it gets a better transfer of the heat. THANKS AGAIN ALL. Hope someone thats using the same exact setup will give me his bios temps.
WISDOM in 10 words & 20 characters:
"IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll be the judge of that. I am running a CUSL2 with a 700@933 1.75v (if anything, that should be HOTTER than yours) with a stock intle PIII 933 cooler. It shipped with a previous version of probe that was SCREWED UP. OK, now bios-I get a temp of 50C at boot in bios. I get into windows and Probe version 2.12.07 also says 50C, but it DROPS to 38C shortly AFTER boot. Like I said, I have the same cooling fan and am running the same speed. I have no reason to believe my current version of Probe is wrong, because at boot it reads the same temp as at bios. If anything, yours should be COOLER because mine is overclocked at a higher voltage!

Suicide is painless...........

G

Thanks again for your help. I used a thin layer of thermal grease (white silicon I beleive) right over the pad and cleaned pad residue off the chip and also put thin layer on it. That droped the Idle from the 52-54 to 43-46. I then downloaded the 2.12.07 as you suggested and it kind of acts like yours ------ starts high 46 and then drops to 32-36. That doesn't cause me any concern so thanks for the input.

Wisdom: WHAT EVER YOU THINK --- YOU ARE RIGHT