XP laptop won't print to printer on 2K server

April 20, 2004 4:28:22 PM

What I've got:

A Dell Dimension 8100 desktop running Win2K;
An HP LaserJet 1200 connected to the 8100 noted above via
USB;
An IBM R40 Thinkpad running WinXP;
A D-Link router connecting the 8100 & R40 via wireless
network.

I can see and exchange files between my Thinkpad and the
8100 over my wireless network just fine, but I can't get
the Thinkpad to print to the LaserJet. XP's "Add Printer"
wizard appears to add the LaserJet to the Thinkpad's list
of available printers just fine, but even 1-page test
print jobs fail with a generic "error" message in the
print queue.

I've updated the LaserJet's drivers on the 8100 to the
latest XP versions from HP, so it's not a driver problem.
And I'm able to print to the LaserJet over the network
from a spare Dell laptop I have which also runs Win2K,
just like the 8100. So my feeling is, this is some kind
of 2K/XP compatibility problem I'm looking at.

Any ideas?

GDogg
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 2:55:35 AM

Try connecting the R40 to the router via Ethernet cable and see if the
problem persists.

Also, if you haven't already, completely clean up the drivers on the R40
(see http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm) then add the
network printer again.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing