tune up printing server

How should I tune up the WinXP Prof workstation, which services as a
printing server in office as well, to stop freezing the frontend
applications? e.g. MSOutlook, Excel, Work, etc.

We are currently having a problem that the performance of its frontend
applications are highly affected as a print job is queuing. Actually, most
of the printings are graphics and photos.

I've set the system performance option to "Applications" rather than
"Background services" already. How can I prevent the computer from stop
responding to applications and keyboard typing? Can I use the performance
monitor to check it?

Thanks,

Leonard

Although it isn't the answer you want to hear, a Server (even a Workstation
functioning as a Server) should be kept as a Server. Don't use it for other
applications! A Server is (or should be) kept purely for 'serving' other
PCs!

Can you not add one more XP PC to your network and use it for the
applications, keeping the first XP PC as the 'Server"?

Cari
www.coribright.com

"Leonard Poon" <leonardpoon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How should I tune up the WinXP Prof workstation, which services as a
> printing server in office as well, to stop freezing the frontend
> applications? e.g. MSOutlook, Excel, Work, etc.
>
> We are currently having a problem that the performance of its frontend
> applications are highly affected as a print job is queuing. Actually, most
> of the printings are graphics and photos.
>
> I've set the system performance option to "Applications" rather than
> "Background services" already. How can I prevent the computer from stop
> responding to applications and keyboard typing? Can I use the performance
> monitor to check it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Leonard

Yes, I agree your saying. But, the fact is that the decision of reserving a
PC or not for printing purpose is up to my boss. We can't deny that someone,
who is not familiar with computer technology, thinks it is not cost
effectively of reserving the pc for printing service only. It is just the
matter of the communication gap between technical level and management
level. If management insists not reserving the PC, we only have to do best
to solve the problem in our own way. This is reason why I asked that
question.

Leonard

Force the clients to render the data rather than the machine hosting the
printer.
Printer Properties / Advanced /
uncheck Enable advanced printing features
This will cause slower response on the clients when printing but all the GDI
rending will happen there rather than the system hosting the printer.

Also if the printer is using the LPT port, this is the slowest link in the
chain and can cause 90% CPU usage depending on the printer type. Switch to
USB if possible and uncheck Enable bidirectional support if it is checked
for LPT.

Adding memory to the workstation will also help process the jobs more
effienciently

Perf counters to watch
Processor / %Processor time / total
Process / %Processor time / spoolsv