Experience with buying a pre-built OC Combo?

G

Anyone bought a pre-built OC combo from overclock store, ocz.safeshopper.com, or PC nut? Any other good sites? Wondered if these "guaranteed" systems are worth the $? I wouldn't know where to begin myself other than closing the L1 Bridges.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I bought one, a Duron 600/KT7/Monster II HSF, claimed to overclock to 1000 Mhz. Paid $218, I think. It actually overclocks to 1007 (Sandra reports 1008) with 106 mhz FSB * 9.5.

It runs well at that speed with the case open but with the case closed I have heat problems. The system seems to become unstable when the CPU temperature reaches 53 degrees C. At 1000 Mhz peak temperatures are normally around 50 but that's when the room is cool. Eventually the computer equipment heats up the room and CPU tempatures creep up as well.

The problem is case cooling, or not enough of it. I shouldn't have bought a mid tower case. The two case fans, one salvaged from a dead AT PSU, seem inadequate. I haven't gotten around to replacing these but I believe that will solve my problem. In the meantime I just run the system at 900 mhz. At this speed the temperatures only reach about 45 degrees in a very warm room, about 27 degrees C, 81 F.

Incidentally, if you go this route don't use the "goop" that is attached to the heatsink. Pull off the goop and clean up the heatsink. Use thermal grease/compound which works much better. (It was difficult cleaning up the goop from the CPU later).

All in all, I highly recommend OCZ.Safeshopper.com. Their memory works great too.

OCZ takes about 4-5 days to ship so expect 8-10 calendar days for delivery.