802.11x That Attaches by RJ-45 10/100 Port?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 11, 2005 8:03:58 PM

Does anyone make a wireless access device that attaches to an ordinary
hub/switch/router/firewall using RJ-45 connection to a standard 10/100
ethernet? This would greatly simplify setting up a router/firewall since
you could address wireless as just a normal ethernet access port.

--
Will
Anonymous

Called a Wireless Access Point
Everybody makes them.

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone make a wireless access device that attaches to an ordinary
> hub/switch/router/firewall using RJ-45 connection to a standard 10/100
> ethernet? This would greatly simplify setting up a router/firewall
> since
> you could address wireless as just a normal ethernet access port.
>
> --
> Will

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 12, 2005 3:14:36 AM

Sorry, my requirement is for miniaturization. I want something the size of
a pinky finger I can just plug into a firewall. My application requires
something very small, not a separate box.

I guess one of the problems to overcome here is how does the device get
power? I assume that a normal 10/100 ethernet does not supply power to the
device that is connected by ethernet? What is this "power over ethernet"
standard I hear about, and is that standard intended to only deliver power,
or can it deliver both network signal and power together?

--
Will

"bumtracks" <lost@disney.lan> wrote in message
> Called a Wireless Access Point
> Everybody makes them.
>
> "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone make a wireless access device that attaches to an ordinary
> > hub/switch/router/firewall using RJ-45 connection to a standard 10/100
> > ethernet? This would greatly simplify setting up a router/firewall
> > since
> > you could address wireless as just a normal ethernet access port.
> >
> > --
> > Will
a b F Wireless
September 12, 2005 4:33:29 AM

Will <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote:
> Sorry, my requirement is for miniaturization. I want something the size of
> a pinky finger I can just plug into a firewall. My application requires
> something very small, not a separate box.
>
> I guess one of the problems to overcome here is how does the device get
> power? I assume that a normal 10/100 ethernet does not supply power to the
> device that is connected by ethernet? What is this "power over ethernet"
> standard I hear about, and is that standard intended to only deliver power,
> or can it deliver both network signal and power together?

Can do both, but it requires the device to be setup for it.
You'd need a power supply, and some APs are not that much bigger.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 12, 2005 9:26:30 AM

Will,

1) I have yet to find a miniature access point (like a pen drive). The
only thing that I could think of is if your firewall is computer-based
(i.e. Symantec Enterprise Firewall, Linux, etc.) you could attach a USB
wireless adapter to a USB port, and use ControlAP
(http://www.controlap.com) to turn the box into an AP also. From the
firewall perspective, it would just be another ethernet port.

Additionally, depending on if you already know what firewall you're
using or not, you could select a wireless router that has a built-in
firewall.It may not have the same features as a robust firewall (i.e.
Cisco Pix), but it works for a lot of small environments.

2) Power over Ethernet (PoE) is also known as 802.3af. It delivers
power over the unused pairs of ethernet to the wireless equipment. Your
normal ethernet traffic will ride over the same cable without being
affected. Additionally, this is wonderful for an installation where the
equipment is in a ceiling 300 feet away, and there's no power around.

HTH. If you need any pricing on wireless routers or equipment, feel
free to contact us [http://www.netsteady.cc]

Thanks
Chris
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 12, 2005 12:19:28 PM

> Sorry, my requirement is for miniaturization. I want something the size of
> a pinky finger I can just plug into a firewall. My application requires
> something very small, not a separate box.

Care to expand so that we're not guessing in the dark? What problem are
you trying to solve?
!