Sign in with
Your question

Get back dual boot screen

Last response: in Windows 7
October 11, 2010 3:20:08 AM

I had windowx xp and windows 7 running, windows 7 was installed after xp. I had problems with viruses in xp to the point where I could not startup either OS. I ran recovery console for xp, did fixmbr, bootcfg etc.... I finally reinstalled xp using recovery console, it kept all my files but just reinstalled the system files which worked.

The problem is I no longer have a dual boot screen, my computer boots directly into windows xp. The two OS's are on separate harddrives. I can access the windows 7 harddrive from xp.

I cannot find my windows 7 disk so how do I easily get back my dual boot screen so I can get into windows 7?

thanks so much.

More about : back dual boot screen

October 12, 2010 12:27:41 AM

I ran easybcd in windows xp but it will not let me repair, it will only let you repair boot files if you use an OS later than windows xp and my problem is I cannot get into windows 7.

as soon as easybcd loads up I can see the different dual boot options but there is no dual boot screen.

how should I used easybcd in windows xp?

there is an option to add windows 7 bootloader to MBR, if I do that would that just only allow me to boot into windows 7 and I can no longer get into windows xp?

thanks

m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2010 6:16:24 AM

The operative word is to "add" W7 bootloader, thereby giving you a dual boot.
You have to add it before you have a choice. If you have an orange in a bowl and then you add a banana, you then have an orange and a banana, the orange is still there untill you eat it.
m
l
October 12, 2010 12:34:22 PM

A little rude but thanks for the advice.

I just chose add entry after I deleted my entries and added windows 7 and that worked in stead of choosing add windows 7 bootloader to mbr.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2010 9:15:39 PM

loopylulu said:
A little rude but thanks for the advice.

I just chose add entry after I deleted my entries and added windows 7 and that worked in stead of choosing add windows 7 bootloader to mbr.

Wasn't trying to be rude, merely trying to explain, as you apperently didn't grasp the concept "there is an option to add windows 7 bootloader to MBR, if I do that would that just only allow me to boot into windows 7"
As long as you have it sorted is all that matters.
m
l
!