G

Ok, it is getting a little old now. I just want to squeeze as much as I can from it now. Only problem is that my system is from dell (bought it a year ago, learnt my lesson :) and so there is hardly any bios options. WCPUID says my chipset info is Intel 440BX/ZX. I'm guessing Dell just took out most bios option and put their name on the bios startup. Is there anyway I can overclock my cpu? As you must know, my system clock is set at 100mhz. I'd like to shoot for 600mhz or 650mhz, either by changing the fsb to 133 or the multiplier to 6. I know their are limitation and it doesn't help having Dell made this machine but if any of you can help it would be great help.

first identify your clock generator,if your not sure what this is try SiSoft Sandra under mainboard info.Next download soft fsb or one of the other software overclocking utilities.and overclock or change your fsb in windows.

G

Regardless of the computer, the PIII 500 is on the 100mhz bus, and most likely has PC100 memory in it, knowing that DELL does not put anything more in the computer than what is needed. The BX chipset was never intended for 133mhz, although some boards like Asus, Abit, and so on will run the BX chipset this high, but the OEM Dell mobo is probably not going to run at anything but 100mhz, as they probably removed any functions to up the FSB. The multiplier is not an option on INTEL processors, they are locked and nobody has figured out how to bypass it. You are stuck at 5 x 100mhz. If a FSB option is on the board, try setting it up to 112mhz. Most PIII 500's will run a little over 600mhz, but need a good motherboard and most likely PC133 memory to do so. Does you Dell computer use a standard ATX motherboard layout?? If so, look into buying a new motherboard to replace it that will give you the features you are desiring.

many dell computers are overclockable this way,and i have a stick of 128 mb pc100 memory that will do 148 at cas3, rare but it happens.and most people will tell you that software overclocking works great,no need to shut down computer or even restart, just apply and go.
and people come here for answers about the hardware they have now, not to be told that your hardware sux,buy something better!!

G

Thx rick, but I can’t find the clock generator in the motherboard info. Also, I tried soft fsb but couldn’t find the right info for it. Perhaps one of the other will work better for me? The software overclocking seems intriguing because I don’t need my system to be over clocked all the time. I believe I’ll be ok with the heat because of the chasis cooling tha dell used for my case. Seen here.
http://support.dell.com/docs/systems/dkub/sm1_02.gif
http://support.dell.com/docs/systems/dkub/sm1_10.gif
It’s a nice full sized case fan running onto the cpu slot, which isn’t as good as most cooling systems out there but pretty good. There is a nice size heatsink on the slot too.

ok look at the list of clock generators on soft fsb and get an idea of the numbers, ok now look at your motherboardand look for a chip that has these same numbers, it will usually be found just above the ide connectors or beside them this chip will be about 1/2 inch wide and 3/4 of an inch long