  • Diablo
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 8, 2005 12:34:53 PM

Hello.

Longtime vet of Diablo Lord of Destruction, looking for something new,
thinking about EverQuest 1.

Cant play EQ2, computer is too old.

Advice for first time beginer? Helpful websites where i can read up?

thank you

More about : eq1 complete utter noob questions

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 6:08:05 PM

howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hello.
>
> Longtime vet of Diablo Lord of Destruction, looking for something new,
> thinking about EverQuest 1.
>
> Cant play EQ2, computer is too old.
>
> Advice for first time beginer? Helpful websites where i can read up?
>
> thank you

http://eq.crgaming.com
http://www.allakhazam.com
http://groups.google.com (naturally) ;)

Those are just a couple off the top of my head. There are several class-
specific sites that are immensely helpful as well, depending on the class
you choose.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:08:05 GMT, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

>howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>> Hello.
>>
>> Longtime vet of Diablo Lord of Destruction, looking for something new,
>> thinking about EverQuest 1.
>>
>> Cant play EQ2, computer is too old.
>>
>> Advice for first time beginer? Helpful websites where i can read up?
>>
>> thank you
>>

>http://eq.crgaming.com
>http://www.allakhazam.com
>http://groups.google.com (naturally) ;)
>
>Those are just a couple off the top of my head. There are several class-
>specific sites that are immensely helpful as well, depending on the class
>you choose.

thank you
February 9, 2005 12:08:06 AM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:34:53 -0500, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello.
>
>Longtime vet of Diablo Lord of Destruction, looking for something new,
>thinking about EverQuest 1.
>
>Cant play EQ2, computer is too old.
>
>Advice for first time beginer? Helpful websites where i can read up?
>
>thank you

Try World of Warcraft,if your PC can run EQ1 it can run
WoW too,and you get a much better game,EQ1 is dieing rapidly,lost
about 1/2 of its players in the last half year.
Starting out as a newbie now means you are doomed to solo all your
way up to the 60s,and when you are there,you are still doomed because
in the meantime SOE has will have raised the level cap to 80. :)
You come from Diablo and think soloing can be fun ? - Not in EQ1,all
the good stuff is only available to raiders or looong time players,and
dont dare to think about playing a melee class as a newbie,you will be
doomed more,melee classes are all about gear and you have to compete
with long-time-player-twinked chars for the ultra rare open spot in a
below 70 group. :)

Uland 67 Hunter
Mheldur 65 Cleric
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:08:07 AM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:08:06 +0100, Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:34:53 -0500, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Hello.
>>
>>Longtime vet of Diablo Lord of Destruction, looking for something new,
>>thinking about EverQuest 1.
>>
>>Cant play EQ2, computer is too old.
>>
>>Advice for first time beginer? Helpful websites where i can read up?
>>
>>thank you
>>

>Try World of Warcraft,if your PC can run EQ1 it can run
>WoW too,and you get a much better game,EQ1 is dieing rapidly,lost
>about 1/2 of its players in the last half year.
>Starting out as a newbie now means you are doomed to solo all your
>way up to the 60s,and when you are there,you are still doomed because
>in the meantime SOE has will have raised the level cap to 80. :)
>You come from Diablo and think soloing can be fun ? - Not in EQ1,all
>the good stuff is only available to raiders or looong time players,and
>dont dare to think about playing a melee class as a newbie,you will be
>doomed more,melee classes are all about gear and you have to compete
>with long-time-player-twinked chars for the ultra rare open spot in a
>below 70 group. :)

wow! all that and a credit charge per month!

the hell with that, thanks for the reality check.

y'all enjoy.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:08:08 AM

howldog wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:08:06 +0100, Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:34:53 -0500, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Hello.
>>>
>>>Longtime vet of Diablo Lord of Destruction, looking for something new,
>>>thinking about EverQuest 1.
>>>
>>>Cant play EQ2, computer is too old.
>>>
>>>Advice for first time beginer? Helpful websites where i can read up?
>>>
>>>thank you
>>>

>>Try World of Warcraft,if your PC can run EQ1 it can run
>>WoW too,and you get a much better game,EQ1 is dieing rapidly,lost
>>about 1/2 of its players in the last half year.
>>Starting out as a newbie now means you are doomed to solo all your
>>way up to the 60s,and when you are there,you are still doomed because
>>in the meantime SOE has will have raised the level cap to 80. :)
>>You come from Diablo and think soloing can be fun ? - Not in EQ1,all
>>the good stuff is only available to raiders or looong time players,and
>>dont dare to think about playing a melee class as a newbie,you will be
>>doomed more,melee classes are all about gear and you have to compete
>>with long-time-player-twinked chars for the ultra rare open spot in a
>>below 70 group. :)
>>

> wow! all that and a credit charge per month!
>
> the hell with that, thanks for the reality check.

That may be his reality, but it's not everyone's. There
are quite a few of us who find the game entertaining and
not at all like what he has portrayed it as.

Tracey
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:08:08 AM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:23:42 -0500 in
<qs7i01dhl6jm16pk9ek0r7ldch64o2npgs@4ax.com>, howldog
<lifeisgood@hotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:

>On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:08:06 +0100, Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:34:53 -0500, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Hello.
>>>
>>>Longtime vet of Diablo Lord of Destruction, looking for something new,
>>>thinking about EverQuest 1.
>>>
>>>Cant play EQ2, computer is too old.
>>>
>>>Advice for first time beginer? Helpful websites where i can read up?
>>>
>>>thank you
>>>

>>Try World of Warcraft,if your PC can run EQ1 it can run
>>WoW too,and you get a much better game,EQ1 is dieing rapidly,lost
>>about 1/2 of its players in the last half year.
>>Starting out as a newbie now means you are doomed to solo all your
>>way up to the 60s,and when you are there,you are still doomed because
>>in the meantime SOE has will have raised the level cap to 80. :)
>>You come from Diablo and think soloing can be fun ? - Not in EQ1,all
>>the good stuff is only available to raiders or looong time players,and
>>dont dare to think about playing a melee class as a newbie,you will be
>>doomed more,melee classes are all about gear and you have to compete
>>with long-time-player-twinked chars for the ultra rare open spot in a
>>below 70 group. :)
>>

>wow! all that and a credit charge per month!
>
>the hell with that, thanks for the reality check.
>
>y'all enjoy.

Too bad you're determining everything on the word of one person. Kind
of a knee-jerk reaction.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:08:09 AM

Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in news:420920B0.3060302@aol.com:

> howldog wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:08:06 +0100, Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:

>>>Try World of Warcraft,if your PC can run EQ1 it can run
>>>WoW too,and you get a much better game,EQ1 is dieing rapidly,lost
>>>about 1/2 of its players in the last half year.
>>>Starting out as a newbie now means you are doomed to solo all your
>>>way up to the 60s,and when you are there,you are still doomed because
>>>in the meantime SOE has will have raised the level cap to 80. :)
>>>You come from Diablo and think soloing can be fun ? - Not in EQ1,all
>>>the good stuff is only available to raiders or looong time players,and
>>>dont dare to think about playing a melee class as a newbie,you will be
>>>doomed more,melee classes are all about gear and you have to compete
>>>with long-time-player-twinked chars for the ultra rare open spot in a
>>>below 70 group. :)
>>
>> wow! all that and a credit charge per month!
>>
>> the hell with that, thanks for the reality check.
>
> That may be his reality, but it's not everyone's. There
> are quite a few of us who find the game entertaining and
> not at all like what he has portrayed it as.

To be honest, coming from a Diablo background, a game with much faster
advancement than EQ would likely be more to his tastes. I understand WoW
is such a game.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 24 Dwarven Mystic, 21 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 19 Craftsman
February 9, 2005 12:56:20 AM

In article <Xns95F78A125D3B7richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
RichardRapier@netscape.net says...

> To be honest, coming from a Diablo background, a game with much faster
> advancement than EQ would likely be more to his tastes. I understand WoW
> is such a game.

You sort of pigeon-holed him there. Perhaps unjustifiably.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:04:39 AM

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in

> In article <Xns95F78A125D3B7richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
> RichardRapier@netscape.net says...
>

>> To be honest, coming from a Diablo background, a game with much
>> faster advancement than EQ would likely be more to his tastes. I
>> understand WoW is such a game.
>
> You sort of pigeon-holed him there. Perhaps unjustifiably.

Perhaps, just going by some of his comments in here.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 24 Dwarven Mystic, 21 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 19 Craftsman
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 5:33:44 AM

howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> writes:
> Advice for first time beginer? Helpful websites where i can read up?

The FAQ for this newsgroup has lots of tips about EverQuest 1,
including links for further reading. You can find it via
Google Groups or go to the web version at

http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

And welcome aboard! Though you'll see some moaning and groaning
from old-timers who don't like how the game has evolved (and I do
hasten to add they have some legitimate gripes), EQ1 is still quite
alive and many of us are having a fine time with low- to mid-level
characters.

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 51 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 45 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don
February 9, 2005 7:10:51 PM

> I am judging from number of traders,on SolRo there are now mostly
> under 200 traders,where once 550 trader spots wasnt enough.
> Being an "Altaholic" I can assure you,it has become damned hard
> to find a group below level 70 and outside WoS/MPG,even with my
> 65 Cleric I can sit now for hours with lfg on,only tells I get are
> from buff beggars.

You must have worked up a pretty bad reputation for yourself if you can't
find a group as a 65 cleric. Hell, I got a group yesterday with a 29
chanter and I didn't even have my LFG on... Basically, in the past year or
year and a half I've started a necro, pally, bard, chanter, wiz, mage,
rogue, and monk and have been able to find groups for them all in cb, pc,
nl, ms, dsp, cc, gunthak, dulak, the planes, ldons, etc. And most of them
aren't even guilded.

Howldog, you probably shouldn't listen to people like this. I've got 8
characters who are all different levels and are spread over 3 different
servers and I have never had trouble finding a group. I've started several
melees when I was either new to the server or poorer than dirt and I still
managed to get them armored up and get them some decent weapons. Don't
worry about casters either. Sure, they need new spells every 4 levels, but
they don't cost much and you should be able to make enough money from
whatever you happen to be looting at your level.

While I disagree with most of what he said, it is true that this is not a
solo-friendly game. You will need to group, but as I've said grouping is
not a hard thing to do (unless you get yourself a bad reputation. I know a
few people who no one will group with anymore because they are either
annoying or really bad at playing their class, but I won't mention any names
such as Cenlen). If you are going to want to solo, there are classes that
can solo all the way up to 70, but I find soloing to be a little slow and
boring for my taste.
February 9, 2005 7:37:59 PM

> Advice for first time beginer? Helpful websites where i can read up?

Here's all the sites I use for verious references:

I use this mainly for the item look up and to find quests:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/

This will help you navagate Norrath:
http://www.eqatlas.com/

In case you get into tradeskilling:
http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/news_page.php?menustr...

This is good for a list of spells. It also has detailed descriptions of
each class, their skills, and creation guides:
http://eq.crgaming.com/menu/spells_old.asp (that's a link to their old spell
list. I find it more informative than the new one.)

This will tell you which ldon merchant sells what and for how much:
http://www.cardplace.com/eq/ldon/list.cgi

In case you ever want to dye your armor:
http://www.tayloredmktg.com/rgb/
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:23:46 PM

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 02:33:44 GMT, Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:

>howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> writes:
>> Advice for first time beginer? Helpful websites where i can read up?
>
>The FAQ for this newsgroup has lots of tips about EverQuest 1,
>including links for further reading. You can find it via
>Google Groups or go to the web version at
>
> http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
>
>And welcome aboard! Though you'll see some moaning and groaning
>from old-timers who don't like how the game has evolved (and I do
>hasten to add they have some legitimate gripes), EQ1 is still quite
>alive and many of us are having a fine time with low- to mid-level
>characters.

I, for one, actually ENJOY the quieter game we have at the moment. No
more forming queues to get into a good spot (well, not literally, but
you know what I mean), haven't been trained or KS'd in absolutely
ages, less spam, less lag. Hell, even Rathe Mountains isn't camped
24/7 by lvl 60+ characters too gutless to farm better loot!

Palindrome
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:41:48 AM

Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> writes:
> I, for one, actually ENJOY the quieter game we have at the moment. No
> more forming queues to get into a good spot (well, not literally, but
> you know what I mean), haven't been trained or KS'd in absolutely
> ages, less spam, less lag. Hell, even Rathe Mountains isn't camped
> 24/7 by lvl 60+ characters too gutless to farm better loot!

Indeed, when I first went to check out RM a couple months ago,
I was surprised to find I often had it all to myself, given the
stories I'd heard about it. So I've had some good sessions
there with my monk and recently my druid, both of whom, are
able to get xp as well as plat.

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 51 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 45 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 8:11:01 PM

"Tracey" <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in message

> howldog wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:08:06 +0100, Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
>>>
>>>Try World of Warcraft,if your PC can run EQ1 it can run
>>>WoW too,and you get a much better game,EQ1 is dieing rapidly,lost
>>>about 1/2 of its players in the last half year.
>>>Starting out as a newbie now means you are doomed to solo all your
>>>way up to the 60s,and when you are there,you are still doomed because
>>>in the meantime SOE has will have raised the level cap to 80. :)
>>>You come from Diablo and think soloing can be fun ? - Not in EQ1,all
>>>the good stuff is only available to raiders or looong time players,and
>>>dont dare to think about playing a melee class as a newbie,you will be
>>>doomed more,melee classes are all about gear and you have to compete
>>>with long-time-player-twinked chars for the ultra rare open spot in a
>>>below 70 group. :)
>>
>> wow! all that and a credit charge per month!
>> the hell with that, thanks for the reality check.
>
> That may be his reality, but it's not everyone's. There
> are quite a few of us who find the game entertaining and
> not at all like what he has portrayed it as.

Agreed, I play both EQ and WoW; while graphically WoW is a more beautiful
game, I still like EQ enough to continue playing it as well. EQ2 is, IMO,
just boring, so you're not missing anything by your computer not being
advanced enough to play it. As for soloing, it's just as fun in EQ as it's
ever been (I tend to solo a lot when I'm not playing a cleric), and the
population base hasn't fallen QUITE as much as Mr. Bitterness claims. :)  I
would recommend you get the trial version of EQ (available from the website,
www.everquest.com I believe) and find someone who has a 10 day free guest
pass for WoW and try them both to see which you'd prefer before just taking
a very bitter (obvious from his post) person's viewpoint as gospel. :)

--
Thoisar, 12th level Night Elf Druid, Hellscream