AMD Thunderbird 1.1Ghz

G

I have been running a 1.1ghz Thunderbird in my comp for a few weeks and i am wondering now... is it too hot? I have a 230w power supply and a midi case without extra fans... An Asus A7V and a SuperORB on top. The problem i am facing is that the damned thing is so damned hot! It's now running at 56C and the mobo is at 45C and that's only with minimal load, just internet surfing and ICQ. Coz the SuperORB has dual fans, they're both running at 6350 and 4700 respectively (the lower fan is plugged into the CPU fan plug on the mobo and the top fan is in the Power Fan plug so i can monitor it, this good or bad?). I am wondering, should i be worried? What are your suggestions for improvements?

AMD Thunderbird 1100Mhz
Asus A7V
128MB PC133SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win 98

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
cool setup man! I also have the A7V w/900mhz oc'd to 1.0ghz and the SuperORB. My proc runs about 49-50C idle, mobo 29-30C. You're pretty much ok w/proc running at 56C. If fact according to AMD it can run as high as 80-90C. My suggestion for cooling down the mobo temp is adding a case fan or two(if you haven't already). One other thing to consider is the temp of the PC's environment. If its in a warm room naturally it will run hotter.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

G

I haven't been able to put in extra case fans as of yet, one because i'm not sure if my case (AOpen HQ45) can take them, and two because i haven't found any good ones worth buying yet. My room temp is prolly around or just under 30C today (damned Australia) and it's been running at that temp, i thought of other ways to cool my sys down today and just 10mins ago put a little fan heater (with the heating element burnt out) next to the open case... it's as close as it can get to the mobo without losing any cool airflow from the room... The system is now running CPU at 52C and the Mobo at 37C which is a marked improvement, i am thinking maybe i should just leave it as that coz the fan is really quite quiet and it's a great deal cooler.

ANy suggestions are still welcome tho...

AMD Thunderbird 1100Mhz
Asus A7V
128MB PC133SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win 98