Faxes and dial up connection

On a dedicated phone line--Dial up connection and remote
connection work if Fax isn't installed. But when I set up
fax and try a dial up connection, it will not connect.
Can they exist on the same phone line? Help.
9 answers Last reply
More about faxes dial connection

    You need to provide far more detailed information about your fax software
    and how it is configured and your dial up ISP connection and how it is
    configured.
    Fax and dial up internet connections can both use the same analog phone
    line, but obviously not at the same time.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    wrote in message news:3ec101c42b02$debd1880$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > On a dedicated phone line--Dial up connection and remote
    > connection work if Fax isn't installed. But when I set up
    > fax and try a dial up connection, it will not connect.
    > Can they exist on the same phone line? Help.

    wizard from windows xp professional--Went to add/remove
    windows components and followed the directions. Fax
    worked fine.
    The dial up is not through an ISP--it is just a direct
    dial up from home to my office computer over phone lines,
    then using remote desktop. The office computer acts like
    it is trying to answer a fax rather than my home computer.
    Also, I tried setting the fax to manuel and it won't let
    me answer that way.
    If I disable fax, the dial up works fine. There is some
    type conflict in the actual answering.

    You cannot use XP fax program through another computer. It has to use a
    anolog modem with an anolog phone line going to the computer the XP fax
    program is on..

    wrote in message news:463701c42bc2$d75cf5e0$a401280a@phx.gbl...

> [...]

    Can you dial up when you set the Fax to manual answer?
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "wallydog57 (removethis) @aol.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:463701c42bc2$d75cf5e0$a401280a@phx.gbl...

    try tomorrow and let you know. I am 99.9% sure I have
    done that and it does work. Will let you know. Thanks,
    thanks!!!!

    Just read your answer again and realized I may have read
    it wrong the first time. If the work computer is set to
    manuel and I try to dial into it from home, I get a
    message that the work computer did not answer...it's
    still like it is a fax and did not get manually
    answered. Thanks.

    Clarify your setup. Fax is on what computer?
    What type of dial up access are you using?
    --
    wrote in message news:538401c42cc3$22a1f220$a001280a@phx.gbl...

> [...]
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    All of the set ups are explained in a previous post. The
    fax is microsofts xp on the work computer and the dial up
    is a dial up connection from home to work to use the work
    computer with remote desktop.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    To Clarify--not trying to send a fax through the dial up.
    When I am back at work on the computer that was being
    dialed into from home...the fax will not answer if it is
    set to manuel answer. If the computer at work is set to
    auto answer and I am at home trying to dial into the work
    computer it tries to answer like it is a fax. I get a
    failed fax message at the work computer and the home
    computer says it could not connect.

Phones Fax Connection Dial Up Connection Windows XP