Cant install printer after XP froze

April 25, 2004 7:30:28 PM

I was installing my EPSON C84 when my windows XP froze.
When i rebooted and tryed again it said there was an
error and it cant continue. I didnt have system restore
on at the time. I already deleted all files associated
with the installation manually. It still says it cant
install the printer though. Any ideas?

More about : install printer froze

Anonymous
April 26, 2004 2:42:26 PM

You also might want to try a System File check....

From the command prompt, type

sfc /scannow
(note space between c and /)

This will find and replace any system files that have become corrupted.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com
"Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was installing my EPSON C84 when my windows XP froze.
> When i rebooted and tryed again it said there was an
> error and it cant continue. I didnt have system restore
> on at the time. I already deleted all files associated
> with the installation manually. It still says it cant
> install the printer though. Any ideas?
April 26, 2004 3:51:06 PM

I havent tryed the system filecheck yet but i have cleaned the registry with norton utilities. So far as i can see there is nothing left on windows that has the name epson or c84. When i boot up the computer (with the printer on) it will indeed tell me it has detected the printer. Then the wizard pops up and i click it to auto detect and it scans my cd and starts to install but then it will stop saying ERROR cant proceed. I have also tryed to manually do this through the wizard but i get the same result. After it fails to install i get a message saying "there has been an error installing the device it may not work proparly" And it wont install.
Related resources
April 26, 2004 4:01:17 PM

I know its not the cd or the driver, i can install the driver onto my desktop from the cd just fine, but as soon as the wizard comes up and trys to set up my printer it still stops with an error. Could this be due to the old parallel cable? Should i try using the printers usb connection? Those cables cost like $25 hehe
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 4:46:25 PM

Hi

Try this:

Go into Device Manager, delete all references to your printer, then reboot. Does Windows recognise your printer after the reboot? Failing that, try the same via Safe Mode.

Have you got the latest drivers for your printer that are compatible with XP:

ftp://ftp.epson-europe.com/pub/drivers/inkjet/sc64/EN/s...

Although the file says 'win2000' they are XP drivers. Clicking on this link will initiate an automatic download.

--

Will Denny

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
"Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3f2701c42b14$e95a3540$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>I was installing my EPSON C84 when my windows XP froze.
> When i rebooted and tryed again it said there was an
> error and it cant continue. I didnt have system restore
> on at the time. I already deleted all files associated
> with the installation manually. It still says it cant
> install the printer though. Any ideas?

---
April 26, 2004 5:12:37 PM

USB is always the better alternative!

$25!!!!! YIKES... where are you shopping!

>I know its not the cd or the driver, i can install the driver onto my
>desktop from the cd just fine, but as soon as the wizard comes up and trys
>to set up my printer it still stops with an error. Could this be due to the
>old parallel cable? Should i try using the printers usb connection? Those
>cables cost like $25 hehe
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 12:14:53 AM

Hi

I gave you the wrong link in my last posting - sorry - try here:

ftp://ftp.epson-europe.com/pub/drivers/inkjet/sc84/EN/s...

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User