3 wire vs 2 wire fans

G

I am attempting to use a Swiftech MC370-0A CPU fan/sink on an ABIT KT7A-RAID board. This board is set up for a 3-pin CPU fan connector (2 pwr, 1 rpm I assume). The ABIT manual says the board will check to see that this fan terminal has been connected (drawing current) AND that it is running between 2000-5000rpm which is going to require a third lead the Swiftech doesn't have. What do I do?

Just noticed in Tom's "Cooler Review" that Swiftech was one of the 2 coolers out of the 17 reviewed that was not listed on the fan speed chart...mmmmm, let me guess...the other fan not listed was also a 2-wire fan that won't work on an ABIT mobo without some kind of work-around.....

<A HREF="mailto:mkapoosta@yahoo.com">mkapoosta@yahoo.com</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jcoyier on 02/11/01 04:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I have a kt7 w/ the same fan.
They are too powerful for a motherboaard conection.
DON'T try to plug it in. I don't think it will hurt anything but it won't work & why chance it.
Use a 4 pin conector and plug it into your power supply.
Try to evenly use each power wire from the supply so important parts arn't shorted of power.
Also make sure your case is breathing well so your not blowing hot air. ;)

AMD OC'rs Kick Ass!!