noob question: subscription fee?

Pardon my noobness.

I just noticed on an Everquest box, the requirements listed a
"subscription fee".

what is this exactly? fee for playing the game online? one time or
monthly or hourly or what? I presume this is not standard ISP charges.

please advise, thank you

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:03:27 -0500, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Pardon my noobness.
>
>I just noticed on an Everquest box, the requirements listed a
>"subscription fee".
>
>what is this exactly? fee for playing the game online? one time or
>monthly or hourly or what? I presume this is not standard ISP charges.
>
>please advise, thank you

Monthly. $12.95 for EQ1, I believe. $14.95 for EQ2? Or something like
$24.95 for their access pass which grants you a subscription to all of
their titles (EQ, EQ2, Planetside, and (soon, I think) SWG along with
other minor Station games).

Before you ask, the reason for the fee is running a persistent world
is HUGELY more costly than running, say, a Counterstrike server or
Battle.net.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

"howldog" <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Pardon my noobness.
>
> I just noticed on an Everquest box, the requirements listed a
> "subscription fee".
>
> what is this exactly? fee for playing the game online? one time or
> monthly or hourly or what? I presume this is not standard ISP charges.
>
> please advise, thank you

monthly fee. i dont remember what the EQ1 fee is, its like $12/month-ish
you can pre-pay for up to 2 years, for a discount, but its not refundable.
you need either a valid credit card or a pre-paid game cqard to play.

lee

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:20:59 -0800, Dark Tyger
<darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:03:27 -0500, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Pardon my noobness.
>>
>>I just noticed on an Everquest box, the requirements listed a
>>"subscription fee".
>>
>>what is this exactly? fee for playing the game online? one time or
>>monthly or hourly or what? I presume this is not standard ISP charges.
>>
>>please advise, thank you
>
>Monthly. $12.95 for EQ1, I believe. $14.95 for EQ2? Or something like
>$24.95 for their access pass which grants you a subscription to all of
>their titles (EQ, EQ2, Planetside, and (soon, I think) SWG along with
>other minor Station games).
>
>Before you ask, the reason for the fee is running a persistent world
>is HUGELY more costly than running, say, a Counterstrike server or
>Battle.net.

ok, explain exactly what is a "persistent world"?

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:03:27 -0500, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Pardon my noobness.
>>
>>I just noticed on an Everquest box, the requirements listed a
>>"subscription fee".
>>
>>what is this exactly? fee for playing the game online? one time or
>>monthly or hourly or what? I presume this is not standard ISP charges.
>>
>>please advise, thank you
>
> Monthly. $12.95 for EQ1, I believe. $14.95 for EQ2? Or something like
> $24.95 for their access pass which grants you a subscription to all of
> their titles (EQ, EQ2, Planetside, and (soon, I think) SWG along with
> other minor Station games).
>
> Before you ask, the reason for the fee is running a persistent world
> is HUGELY more costly than running, say, a Counterstrike server or
> Battle.net.

$21.95 for the All Access (different from the Station Pass plan).

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

howldog wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:20:59 -0800, Dark Tyger
> <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:03:27 -0500, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Pardon my noobness.
>>>
>>>I just noticed on an Everquest box, the requirements listed a
>>>"subscription fee".
>>>
>>>what is this exactly? fee for playing the game online? one time or
>>>monthly or hourly or what? I presume this is not standard ISP charges.
>>>
>>>please advise, thank you
>>
>>Monthly. $12.95 for EQ1, I believe. $14.95 for EQ2? Or something like
>>$24.95 for their access pass which grants you a subscription to all of
>>their titles (EQ, EQ2, Planetside, and (soon, I think) SWG along with
>>other minor Station games).
>>
>>Before you ask, the reason for the fee is running a persistent world
>>is HUGELY more costly than running, say, a Counterstrike server or
>>Battle.net.
>

> ok, explain exactly what is a "persistent world"?

Basically, it's when the world is always there and always changing,
whether you're there or not. You materialize in that world, rather
than like Diablo2 where your appearance online creates a world.

Well, it's always there and always changing when the servers are
up. :p

Tracey