can verizon phones somehow be used for other carriers such..

Last response: in Network Providers
February 3, 2005 12:56:16 AM

is there some way to change a phone (such as the motorola v710 for
example) from verizon to say, Tmobile??

--
spreestr
spreestr's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...

The carrier has to use CDMA for it to be possible. VZW phones don't
come with lock codes so if the other carrier is willing then yes you can
bring it with you.

Josh

spreestr wrote:
> is there some way to change a phone (such as the motorola v710 for
> example) from verizon to say, Tmobile??

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:13:52 PM

No

"spreestr" <spreestr.1jv05y@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> is there some way to change a phone (such as the motorola v710 for
> example) from verizon to say, Tmobile??
>

> --
> spreestr
> spreestr's Profile:
> http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...
> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t165753

February 3, 2005 1:39:16 PM

No, because Verizon and T-mobile use two completely different technology.
Verizon uses CDMA and T-mobile uses GSM.

Thanks
Imran
http://www.mobileisgood.com

"spreestr" <spreestr.1jv05y@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> is there some way to change a phone (such as the motorola v710 for
> example) from verizon to say, Tmobile??
>

> --
> spreestr
> spreestr's Profile:
http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...
> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t165753

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:22:00 PM

Alltel and Verizon use the same phones... we brought one over from Alltel
when we went to family share.

"Josh Steinhurst" <j.news@SPAM.steinhurst.net> wrote in message
> The carrier has to use CDMA for it to be possible. VZW phones don't come
> with lock codes so if the other carrier is willing then yes you can bring
> it with you.
>
> Josh
>
> spreestr wrote:
>> is there some way to change a phone (such as the motorola v710 for
>> example) from verizon to say, Tmobile??

February 3, 2005 10:56:32 PM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 08:56:16 -0500, Josh Steinhurst
<j.news@SPAM.steinhurst.net> wrote:

> The carrier has to use CDMA for it to be possible. VZW phones don't
>come with lock codes so if the other carrier is willing then yes you can
>bring it with you.

Bad data.

Carriers subsidize the price of phones. They have the option of
having an internal lock code which will stop the phone from being used
on another carrier's network.

Most VZW phones now have this internal lock set to a number dependent
on the phone and which you can not possibly guess in a normal life.
So you can't use them elsewhere.

But if another carrier does not use the internal lock and they use
CDMA it is quite likely their phone can be reprogrammed to work on
Verizon's network.

Old VZW phones without the new internal locks might be transportable
to other CDMA vendors... but phones, like computers, are obsolete
after several years so you probably don't want to use a phone that
old.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:21:42 PM

In news:vfh5019oajc49tqnlui4gr2cvsinlsj3qk@4ax.com,
bill@microsoft.com <bill@microsoft.com> typed:
.... snip ...
> Bad data.
>
> Carriers subsidize the price of phones. They have the option of
> having an internal lock code which will stop the phone from being used
> on another carrier's network.
>
> Most VZW phones now have this internal lock set to a number dependent
> on the phone and which you can not possibly guess in a normal life.
> So you can't use them elsewhere.
>
> But if another carrier does not use the internal lock and they use
> CDMA it is quite likely their phone can be reprogrammed to work on
> Verizon's network.
>
> Old VZW phones without the new internal locks might be transportable
> to other CDMA vendors... but phones, like computers, are obsolete
> after several years so you probably don't want to use a phone that
> old.

When did VZW start locking their phones?
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:01:28 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> IMHO IIRC wrote:
>
>> When did VZW start locking their phones?
>

> No phone I've ever bought from VZW has been locked,

Hi,

How can you tell if your phone is locked? Do you
only find out if you try to use it with another
carrier or is there a way to tell?

FWIW, I have an Audiovox 8900 I bought late last
summer.

Thanks,
Esmail
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 4:33:41 PM

Quick wrote:

> Really? In the past (I had a really good LDC plan and was
> going to the other coast for a week) I did a FreeUP and the
> phone I could have had was a $30 V120? My phone was
> dual NAM capable so I did it that way and they gave me a
> $30 Re-UP card instead.

I've seen $80 and up for basic low-end prepay phones. Nothing cheaper from any
carrier. Perhaps "full price" isn't the right phrase, but you're paying more
than a postpay user, both for the airtime and (generally) for an equivalent
phone, and that's why I'd object to a prepay being locked.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 8:23:16 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Quick wrote:
>
>> Really? In the past (I had a really good LDC plan and
>> was going to the other coast for a week) I did a FreeUP
>> and the phone I could have had was a $30 V120? My phone
>> was
>> dual NAM capable so I did it that way and they gave me a
>> $30 Re-UP card instead.
>
> I've seen $80 and up for basic low-end prepay phones.
> Nothing cheaper from any carrier. Perhaps "full price"
> isn't the right phrase, but you're paying more than a
> postpay user, both for the airtime and (generally) for an
> equivalent phone, and that's why I'd object to a prepay
> being locked.

Well... You are paying more for airtime but what is the
commitment? What is the least expensive FreeUP you
can buy for the initial activation? $10, $20, $30? Let's
say you get the subsidized phone (even if it's not subsidized
to the amount of a "plan" phone) and the minimum FreeUP
card to get it? How much could they possibly recoup?
Remember that FreeUP caters to people who can't afford
or don't need a long term plan or use less than the minimum
plan.

-Quick

-Quick
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:30:54 AM

the minimum is $15 per month - cost used to be 25 cents peak, 10 cents
off-peak with 50 min off peak free with each free up. Then it changed to 25
cents per call (to connect) and lower per peak per min fee - I forget what
it was, but since mom used it mostly on weekends, I thought a straight 10
cents a min, no connect fee was a better deal and refused to take advantage
of the offers they kept sending to get me to change plans.

> Well... You are paying more for airtime but what is the
> commitment? What is the least expensive FreeUP you
> can buy for the initial activation? $10, $20, $30? Let's
> say you get the subsidized phone (even if it's not subsidized
> to the amount of a "plan" phone) and the minimum FreeUP
> card to get it? How much could they possibly recoup?
> Remember that FreeUP caters to people who can't afford
> or don't need a long term plan or use less than the minimum
> plan.
>
> -Quick
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:30:55 AM

Right. So one could put down $15+activation($?) to
get a phone at a subsidized price? I suspect the
subsidy is a lot more than that. There is no obligation
to buy a second card.

-Quick

cricket wrote:
> the minimum is $15 per month - cost used to be 25 cents
> peak, 10 cents off-peak with 50 min off peak free with
> each free up. Then it changed to 25 cents per call (to
> connect) and lower per peak per min fee - I forget what
> it was, but since mom used it mostly on weekends, I
> thought a straight 10 cents a min, no connect fee was a
> better deal and refused to take advantage of the offers
> they kept sending to get me to change plans.
>

> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> Well... You are paying more for airtime but what is the
>> commitment? What is the least expensive FreeUP you
>> can buy for the initial activation? $10, $20, $30? Let's
>> say you get the subsidized phone (even if it's not
>> subsidized to the amount of a "plan" phone) and the
>> minimum FreeUP
>> card to get it? How much could they possibly recoup?
>> Remember that FreeUP caters to people who can't afford
>> or don't need a long term plan or use less than the
>> minimum plan.
>>
>> -Quick
>>
>> -Quick
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 6:16:53 AM

I paid $100 for her phone 3 years ago (got 1000 free weekend minutes in the
deal too - I don;t think they do that now) - a similar phone was free with a
monthly plan. I considered getting her a new phone and staying on prepay,
but the phones were all $10- - then the $10 FS came out and made it a no
brainer to switch. Plus, the prepays don't roam well- it always wanted her
to enter her cell number to connect and it flustered her too much.

A niece is finishing off her money (we reupped right before I put her on
FS), then I'll try to eBay it - which is what a lot of people would do if
they could get one really cheap from Verizon with no contract term.

!