how many hours do you have invested in EverQuest?

My friends are calling it EverCrack and warned me that this game is
seriously addictive, and it takes hours and hours of game play to "get
anywhere", especially for the noob.

If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have
invested in this game?
13 answers Last reply
More about hours invested everquest

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 14:17:02 -0500, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >My friends are calling it EverCrack and warned me that this game is
    >seriously addictive, and it takes hours and hours of game play to "get
    >anywhere", especially for the noob.
    >
    >If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have
    >invested in this game?

    None. I don't consider time spent on a leisure activity an
    "investment".

    If you want to know how many hours I've played, I can't say. I've
    played MMO's starting with EQ for over 6 years now. Before then I
    played MUDs and various single player games. I can't honestly say that
    I spend more of my free time gaming now than I did before MMOs.

    I don't know, I don't buy the who serious addiction thing. The
    addiction isn't any more in MMOs than regular games. Just that MMOs
    appeal to more people who weren't really into gaming before.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer:
    http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
    "Door's to your left" -Gord

    Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

    In <8u3i01thjg0e03nqmj8tlncu2k34q8fpou@4ax.com> howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> writes:

    > If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have
    > invested in this game?

    Around two thousand. Equal to a year of fulltime work. :-)

    morell.Ryssa

    --
    John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
    gordon@panix.com

    > My friends are calling it EverCrack and warned me that this game is
    > seriously addictive, and it takes hours and hours of game play to "get
    > anywhere", especially for the noob.
    >
    > If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have
    > invested in this game?

    It does take a significant amount of time to level to 70, if that is your
    goal. Really, it all depends on what you mean by "get anywhere". It takes
    a lot less time now than it used to.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 24 Dwarven Mystic, 21 Sage
    Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 19 Craftsman

    "howldog" <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > My friends are calling it EverCrack and warned me that this game is
    > seriously addictive, and it takes hours and hours of game play to "get
    > anywhere", especially for the noob.
    >
    > If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have
    > invested in this game?

    hiya, moved over from rmak ? ;)

    howldog wrote:
    > My friends are calling it EverCrack and warned me that this game is
    > seriously addictive, and it takes hours and hours of game play to
    "get
    > anywhere", especially for the noob.
    >
    > If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have
    > invested in this game?

    On a typical week, I'll put in somewhere about 20 hours of game play. I
    am kind of stalling at the mid-50 area mostly due to the fact that I
    tend to solo alot (and split my time between several characters). I'd
    like to do LDoN adventures, but groups are kind of hard to come by.

    When I started playing EQ, it was all very exciting, fun, new and
    interesting. I would want to log on as much as I could (and probably
    more than was good for me :)). Now it is still fun, but I have to grind
    more and while I play alot, I can put it aside for from time to time.

    =30=

    howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > My friends are calling it EverCrack and warned me that this game is
    > seriously addictive, and it takes hours and hours of game play to "get
    > anywhere", especially for the noob.
    >
    > If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have
    > invested in this game?

    MMOG's have to be considered with a different mindset that your typical
    single player game. The question one has to ask themself should be, is
    $12.95US/month too much to pay for unlimited play time and enough content
    to keep it interesting for years?

    If a person can't seem to pry themself away from it long enough to eat,
    bathe, take care of their kids or go to work, then that's the fault of
    their own irresponsibility or a personality particularly prone to
    addiction, not the game itself.

    It always baffles me how people will criticize or complain about being
    "addicted" to EQ. Never have I heard of anyone who truly wanted to quit but
    couldn't. If it's fun, people will play it. If they find it *really* fun or
    *really* engaging, they'll play it a lot.

    I see people watch hours of television every day, but people don't call
    that an addiction. I'm not talking about news or educational programs. I'm
    referring to the endless banality that is sit-coms, reality TV, soap operas
    exploitive talk shows, etc.

    It's just like anything else. If it's fun, not harmful to yourself or
    others and can be done responsibly, then by all means do it. Otherwise,
    maybe it's not for you.

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:28:12 GMT in
    <Xns95F84BFDEB0ACRumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.199.17>, Rumbledor
    <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> graced the world with this thought:

    >If a person can't seem to pry themself away from it long enough to eat,
    >bathe, take care of their kids or go to work,

    ....dying on the living room floor of the trailer from a self-inflicted
    gunshot wound, surrounded by Domino's Pizza boxes...

    "howldog" <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > My friends are calling it EverCrack and warned me that this game is
    > seriously addictive, and it takes hours and hours of game play to "get
    > anywhere", especially for the noob.
    >
    > If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have
    > invested in this game?

    let me put it this way...

    log in 8am

    look at clock: 8:30....PM

    W(here)TF did the day go?

    i had WAAAY too many hours invested.

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 14:17:02 -0500, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have
    >invested in this game?

    According to /played, I have around 46 days invested in my main. Let's round it to 1100
    hours. I probably have another 200 hours or so invested in various alts. So let's call
    it 1300 hours of game time, since late October 2001.

    I can't begin to measure the time I've spent in AGE, on guild/class/SoE/resource websites,
    and talking about EQ in RL.

    Best regards,

    Tim ==
    (substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
    _________________

    Seeq Endestroi
    Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
    http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

    Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions - a Rathe Guild
    http://www.gravewisdom.com

    "howldog" <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > My friends are calling it EverCrack and warned me that this game is
    > seriously addictive, and it takes hours and hours of game play to "get
    > anywhere", especially for the noob.
    >
    > If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have
    > invested in this game?

    At the lower levels, you are gonna get somewhere fast. Unless you're the
    grinder type who wants to be the highest level with all the AA's and the
    best gear money can buy, you will probably feel you are getting somewhere
    when you go buy those lvl 4 spells or train in your new melee skill. The
    lower levels go by fast, so, to me anyway, it actually feels like I'm
    getting somewhere faster when I'm playing a low level character than when I
    play a higher level one. If you are brand new and you've only got an hour
    to play, go kill some decaying skeletons or a few orcs and by the end of the
    hour you'll have gained at least 1 level, maybe 2, so you'll feel like
    you're getting somewhere. Also, lower level groups don't seem to last as
    long, so if you want to group but don't have alot of time it shouldn't be a
    problem till you're in your mid and high levels.

    wrote:

    >My friends are calling it EverCrack and warned me that this game is
    >seriously addictive, and it takes hours and hours of game play to "get
    >anywhere", especially for the noob.
    >
    >If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have
    >invested in this game?

    Over five years, I have roughly 6,000 hours invested. (For comparison,
    a full-time job is roughly 10,000 hours over five years.)

    You can see it as addictive or you can see it as entertainment for
    approximately US$0.08/hr. You won't find a better value.

    --
    --Jekke
    =====================

    In article <8u3i01thjg0e03nqmj8tlncu2k34q8fpou@4ax.com>, howldog wrote:
    > If this is so, how many hours of game play do some of you have invested in
    > this game?

    I had about 81 days /played (so just a bit under 2000 hours) on my main
    character when I quit.

    --
    --Tim Smith

    I have about 400 days /played on my main. Alts have anywhere from 20-200,
    but a lot of that time was spent playing them simultaneously

    -m

Games Video Games