Proliant 3000 Fans

Greetings,

My Proliant 3000 (Dual PII-300) is showing an error on the LCD display.

"Failure in Auxiliary Fan 5."

Looking at the parts list, I see 3 fan types for the Proliant 3000:

Front fan assembly (306576-001)
Fan assembly, rear (306577-001)
Fan assembly, rear redundant (326873-001)

Which one is Fan #5? The dying fan is quite loud and noticable but
inside a server room it's not possible to even distiguish if it's a
front or rear fan dying.

Thanks - Matt
5 answers Last reply
More about proliant 3000 fans

    Lacking the technical info on which fan is which, have you tried a
    mechanics stethoscope to locate it by the noise it is making? I used a set
    in a number of very noisy situations to locate problems by the noise they
    make in a running engine. Not the best solution in your situation, but an
    alternative pending one of the more technically knowledgeable members
    posting a better answer.

    KC

    "Matt Fuerst" <matt@nerdstuff.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > My Proliant 3000 (Dual PII-300) is showing an error on the LCD display.
    >
    > "Failure in Auxiliary Fan 5."
    >
    > Looking at the parts list, I see 3 fan types for the Proliant 3000:
    >
    > Front fan assembly (306576-001)
    > Fan assembly, rear (306577-001)
    > Fan assembly, rear redundant (326873-001)
    >
    > Which one is Fan #5? The dying fan is quite loud and noticable but
    > inside a server room it's not possible to even distiguish if it's a
    > front or rear fan dying.
    >
    > Thanks - Matt

    Stick your finger in each fan one at a time causing fan to stop. when
    you have a stopped fan and no noise, that is the bad fan #5

    Fan #5 is the rear fan to the left of the cpu(s).

    David Pendleton wrote:
    > Fan #5 is the rear fan to the left of the cpu(s).
    >
    > "Matt Fuerst" <matt@nerdstuff.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Greetings,
    >>
    >>My Proliant 3000 (Dual PII-300) is showing an error on the LCD display.
    >>
    >>"Failure in Auxiliary Fan 5."
    >>
    >>Looking at the parts list, I see 3 fan types for the Proliant 3000:
    >>
    >>Front fan assembly (306576-001)
    >>Fan assembly, rear (306577-001)
    >>Fan assembly, rear redundant (326873-001)
    >>
    >>Which one is Fan #5? The dying fan is quite loud and noticable but
    >>inside a server room it's not possible to even distiguish if it's a
    >>front or rear fan dying.
    >>
    >>Thanks - Matt

    Hi David,

    Do you know the stats of this fan? Is it a "regular" 92mm fan I can buy
    at Radio Shack? I'm assuming not...

    Thanks!
    Matt

    Probably. The cage is most likely the only thing that makes it 'special'.
    You may have to use the existing connector, also.

    Give it a try; can't be much worse than it is now...

    Regards.

    Dave

    > David Pendleton wrote:
    >> Fan #5 is the rear fan to the left of the cpu(s).
    >>
    >> "Matt Fuerst" <matt@nerdstuff.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Greetings,
    >>>
    >>>My Proliant 3000 (Dual PII-300) is showing an error on the LCD display.
    >>>
    >>>"Failure in Auxiliary Fan 5."
    >>>
    >>>Looking at the parts list, I see 3 fan types for the Proliant 3000:
    >>>
    >>>Front fan assembly (306576-001)
    >>>Fan assembly, rear (306577-001)
    >>>Fan assembly, rear redundant (326873-001)
    >>>
    >>>Which one is Fan #5? The dying fan is quite loud and noticable but
    >>>inside a server room it's not possible to even distiguish if it's a
    >>>front or rear fan dying.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks - Matt
    >>

    > Hi David,
    >
    > Do you know the stats of this fan? Is it a "regular" 92mm fan I can buy at
    > Radio Shack? I'm assuming not...
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Matt

Compaq Fan Proliant Computers