Opening 60,599,541 Chrome Tabs for $1,000,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

morerice

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
you have to download an extension for chrome if you want to participate in the program. It just counted the tabs and you submitted them at the end of the day (caps at 250 tabs a day)

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Great! Now I just hope they also find a way of keeping track of the money. If these projects are carried out in well governed nations (to regional standards at least) like Brazil, most Asian countries or Ghana for example, this is great. I'm afraid that in defunct states like Congo a lot of money will stick along its way to the project...

carl0ski

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
you had to install an optional Chrome eXTENSION to participate,

they weren't covertly spying on all chrome users

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Jaspel[/nom]...and how does google know when I open a tab??[/citation]

I hope you weren't implying anything and that was an honest question.

[citation][nom]carl0ski[/nom]you had to install an optional Chrome eXTENSION to participate,they weren't covertly spying on all chrome users[/citation]

OH but thats what they want you to think! /sarcasm :lol:

Just like everyone said jaspel, you needed to download an extension to participate.

Although i wounder what those extensions are doing now so they have no use. Hmm....

darkbunny

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Although i wounder what those extensions are doing now so they have no use. Hmm....[/citation]

So delete the extension(?)

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Great! Now I just hope they also find a way of keeping track of the money. If these projects are carried out in well governed nations (to regional standards at least) like Brazil, most Asian countries or Ghana for example, this is great. I'm afraid that in defunct states like Congo a lot of money will stick along its way to the project...[/citation]

Just reinforcing "regional standards"... Cause I live in Brazil, and I know how much money doesn't get to where it was supposed to.
Not to mention the taxes that are outrageous. As a comparison, we're paying R$670 for a HD6850, wich translates to U$400. What does that tell ya?

If things don't change, and soon, I'm moving out as soon as I finish college.

Anyways, great job by google. I wish we saw more of that.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]Jaspel[/nom]...and how does google know when I open a tab??[/citation]
they know every single thing you do when using chrome or google, theyre watching you every second, theyre like big brother. google is watching you 24/7. I'd stop using google right now

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I think people who engaged in tabbed Chrome browsing specially 'for the environment' were just stupid.

There are so many Chrome users and they were bound to reach the tabs target some time or the other. Amazing marketing ploy.

Pretty good marketing idea, but it didn't work with me. I downloaded Chrome to a VM image, added in the extension and opened 250 tabs every day that this was active, and have now deleted the VM. I don't like Chrome, I just like making Google shell out money (even if it is for a good cause).

MasterCATZ

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Glad they hit the CAP , I didn't even know about it and I rack up an easy 1k tabs a day .. ( in IE / FF / C 32 + 64 bit versions )

still rather FF tho ... but using chrome these days due to an FF memory Leak

jlefebre6001

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

I hate reading too. I'll read the title and then post my comment, but that's about it.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]
Anyways, great job by google. I wish we saw more of that.
[/citation]
yeah. hope more and more big corporation and rich folks to follow what google did.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Google knows when you take a dump, jack off or wear odd socks
Dont act so surprised
It was never the Government you should have been worried about spying on you, it was always going to be the Corporations

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I had 3 bots running on all 3 pc's for the last hour of each day so I would hit the limit if I did not already. too bad all the money will be used to fund wars in Africa and Asia!

Status
Not open for further replies.