Adding a printer

I have Dell Laptop Latitude running on XP. I bought a used
Brother Laser HL-630 printer. I am using parallel port.

I am adding printer using pRinter/FAX by adding, it
complains "operation could not be completed".

I disgnosed troubleshoting and parallel port is OK.

I consulted knowledgebase from Microsoft Windows. I wasted
1-2 days in trying all different combinations.

1) I checked to make sure Printer Spooler is automatic and
started.

2) As a user, I am an Adminidrative Gropup.

I down loaded drivers from brother webpage for XP.

I need printing capabilities very badly for submitting my
tax reurn. I appreciate any help.

Thanks for any one to publish back or sent e-mail to yrk98
at yahoo dot com

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about adding printer

    Im having a very similar problem, i havent been able to figure it out either, ill post if i do.

    ----- Rk wrote: -----

    I have Dell Laptop Latitude running on XP. I bought a used
    Brother Laser HL-630 printer. I am using parallel port.

    I am adding printer using pRinter/FAX by adding, it
    complains "operation could not be completed".

    I disgnosed troubleshoting and parallel port is OK.

    I consulted knowledgebase from Microsoft Windows. I wasted
    1-2 days in trying all different combinations.

    1) I checked to make sure Printer Spooler is automatic and
    started.

    2) As a user, I am an Adminidrative Gropup.

    I down loaded drivers from brother webpage for XP.

    I need printing capabilities very badly for submitting my
    tax reurn. I appreciate any help.

    Thanks for any one to publish back or sent e-mail to yrk98
    at yahoo dot com

    Thanks

    WHAT DO I DOWNLOAD FROM BROTHER
    ----- Rk wrote: -----

    I have Dell Laptop Latitude running on XP. I bought a used
    Brother Laser HL-630 printer. I am using parallel port.

    I am adding printer using pRinter/FAX by adding, it
    complains "operation could not be completed".

    I disgnosed troubleshoting and parallel port is OK.

    I consulted knowledgebase from Microsoft Windows. I wasted
    1-2 days in trying all different combinations.

    1) I checked to make sure Printer Spooler is automatic and
    started.

    2) As a user, I am an Adminidrative Gropup.

    I down loaded drivers from brother webpage for XP.

    I need printing capabilities very badly for submitting my
    tax reurn. I appreciate any help.

    Thanks for any one to publish back or sent e-mail to yrk98
    at yahoo dot com

    Thanks

    Are you sure you have an XP-compatible driver rather than a Win9x driver? I
    do not believe that Brother has a Windows XP driver for the HL-630 on their
    web site. However, Windows XP has a driver for it on the distribution CD.
    Also note that Brother does not support the use of a Windows 2000 driver
    with XP.

    Remove the driver you installed. Use System restore, if possible, to return
    the system to a pre-driver-install state.

    Assure that the printer cable is IEEE compliant and is properly attached.

    Use the add a printer wizard and allow auto detection. If that fails, try
    selecting the printer from the list.

    Do let us know if any further clarification is desired/needed.

    Tom
    MSMVP-DTS
    "Rk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have Dell Laptop Latitude running on XP. I bought a used
    > Brother Laser HL-630 printer. I am using parallel port.
    >

    > I am adding printer using pRinter/FAX by adding, it
    > complains "operation could not be completed".
    >
    > I disgnosed troubleshoting and parallel port is OK.
    >
    > I consulted knowledgebase from Microsoft Windows. I wasted
    > 1-2 days in trying all different combinations.
    >

    > 1) I checked to make sure Printer Spooler is automatic and
    > started.
    >
    > 2) As a user, I am an Adminidrative Gropup.
    >
    > I down loaded drivers from brother webpage for XP.
    >
    > I need printing capabilities very badly for submitting my
    > tax reurn. I appreciate any help.
    >

    > Thanks for any one to publish back or sent e-mail to yrk98
    > at yahoo dot com
    >
    > Thanks

    You do not download anything from Brother. They do _not_ have a printer
    driver for the HL-630 for use with Windows XP.

    You use the Windows XP CD.

    Quit Windows. Turn the power off on the printer. Connect the parallel cable
    from the printer to the computer. Turn the power back on for the computer
    and the printer. Start Windows XP in the usual way. Put the Windows XP CD in
    the CD drive and close the door of the drive. start the Add printer wizard.
    Let it detect the printer and add the drivers.

    If and only if that does not work, do the following-

    Run the add printer wizard again and select the options to add the printer
    but not automatically. For those options, follow the prompts on-screen as
    the wizard runs. Select LPT1 when it asks for the connection. At the
    appropriate screen, select Brother from the left pane and LH-630 from the
    right pane. Follow the rest of the on-screen prompts. Do print the test page
    when asked. When done, exit and restart Windows. Try printing.

    Let us know.

    Tom
    MSMVP-DTS

    "WULLIE" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > WHAT DO I DOWNLOAD FROM BROTHER
    > ----- Rk wrote: -----
    >
    > I have Dell Laptop Latitude running on XP. I bought a used
    > Brother Laser HL-630 printer. I am using parallel port.
    >

    > I am adding printer using pRinter/FAX by adding, it
    > complains "operation could not be completed".
    >
    > I disgnosed troubleshoting and parallel port is OK.
    >
    > I consulted knowledgebase from Microsoft Windows. I wasted
    > 1-2 days in trying all different combinations.
    >

    > 1) I checked to make sure Printer Spooler is automatic and
    > started.
    >
    > 2) As a user, I am an Adminidrative Gropup.
    >
    > I down loaded drivers from brother webpage for XP.
    >
    > I need printing capabilities very badly for submitting my
    > tax reurn. I appreciate any help.
    >

    > Thanks for any one to publish back or sent e-mail to yrk98
    > at yahoo dot com
    >
    > Thanks

    Tom, Thank you for your time and your willingness to help
    us.
    True, Brother do not say specific that their drivers
    supports XP. I down loaded and never able to use them.
    Some othe bulletin boards wrote they worked for them,
    especially general PCL drivers.

    My som took the CD to his college and I do not have XP CD.
    I will try when he come home to add.

    Also, I cheked and started print spooler using Settings -->
    Control Pannel --> Admin Tool --> Services --> Printer
    Spooling services. It started and automatic.

    I checked Usimg Printer Properties/Services using
    Printer/Faxing --> File --> Services/Properties (not sure)
    it complianed Printer Spoolong is not active. This route I
    was using to deleting the current printer drivers.

    How Do I remove the existing printer driver, if they are
    incompatible wih XP or corrupted.

    I used this printer and cable with my desktop. I assume it
    is good parallel cable. I diagnosed parallel port it works
    well.

    Thanks again for your help.

    RK
    Whenever I use Add a printer, it give me an error saying
    "Operation could not be completed" I could not go any
    further than from it.

    Do not worry about the Win9x driver install attempt. If it was the Win9x
    drivers, they will not actually be installed. For greater assurance, you can
    use system restore (if it was working at the time of the driver install
    attempt) to set the system to a date before the attempt.

    If the spooler service does not run, there might be a problem installing any
    printer driver.

    When you get the CD, do try the driver on it for the printer. Let us know.\

    Tom
    MSMVP-DTS-DTS

Printers Microsoft Parallel Port Windows XP