Some crysis questions :]

wootwoot66

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I just got a gtx 680 and love it :] however ive been having 2 problems and have some questions. First Ive been experiencing horizontal lines while playing Crysis 2 sometimes even though i have vertical sink on? Also I was playing the original Crysis for a benchmark and the graphics seem almost grainy idk how to describe it but i think it looked nicer on my gts 450 at lower settings because of this "grainyness" I'm getting at the moment with my gtx 680. Help much appreciated thanks.

Solution
Do you have a vignette or cinematic feature enabled? I'm not aware of any such feature through NVCP for instance, but if you have something else with that trait, that could cause graininess. As far as horizontal tearing with Vsync enabled, not sure what to tell you on that one. Vsync acts as a way to help alleviate tears but doesn't guarantee to completely remove them. If you have enabled vsync and you check your fps and it is actually capped appropriately that's probably as good as you're going to get. You can increase pre rendered frames in NVCP if you want in the hopes that the tears are in some way related to frame draws, but this won't likely help unless what you're actually seeing is hitching.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Do you have a vignette or cinematic feature enabled? I'm not aware of any such feature through NVCP for instance, but if you have something else with that trait, that could cause graininess. As far as horizontal tearing with Vsync enabled, not sure what to tell you on that one. Vsync acts as a way to help alleviate tears but doesn't guarantee to completely remove them. If you have enabled vsync and you check your fps and it is actually capped appropriately that's probably as good as you're going to get. You can increase pre rendered frames in NVCP if you want in the hopes that the tears are in some way related to frame draws, but this won't likely help unless what you're actually seeing is hitching.

Solution
it could be the specular map is enabled thats causing the grainy look. it may also be that the card is new as are the drivers and they need tuning...

best just go into the settings and turn everything down apart from the rez and aa. replay the level and see if the graint effect has gone. if so turn everything up 1 at a time and then you will find what setting is causing it... it shouldnt take more than 20 mins...
1s done you will know more about the game and what its features do...
but as i say its likely to be specular map as that was 1 of the features that was disabled in dx9 when i first got the game because it crumpled the performance and made the image grainy (if i remember correctly)when turned on, on early dx10 cards.

wootwoot66

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

yeah i tried that but couldn't conclude anything solid really it did look kinda better when everything was on medium though. I'm thinking is has to be one of the two possible issues you addressed. hopefully a driver update fixes it lol

wootwoot66

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

yeah its capped at 60 but i noticed i also get it in bf3 as well but not nearly as much I'm thinking its a driver issue? I tried adaptive vertical sink as well and it didn't do anything for me.