Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PS4 VS Xbox 720

Last response: in Video Games
Share

PS4 VS Xbox 720

Total: 61 votes (15 blank votes)

  • PS4
  • 66 %
  • Xbox 720
  • 35 %
April 4, 2012 5:23:40 AM

Hey guys,
I know that it is too early to speak about next gen consoles but a lot of rumors has been circulating around the net everyday about these next gen consoles.
What are the features do u expect from next gen consoles ?
What console do u think will come out on top ?

I think Ps4 will be be more powerful than xbox 720 but xbox 720 will have innovative type of gameplay

Whichever console introduces innovative and better style of gameplay like whole body motion gaming, better gaming support, tablet like controller etc..

I think both consoles will come out by 2013 end and i will grab either one of the console within 2 or 3 months , i will consider number of launch up titles for each consoles, exclusives, durability, above features and graphics comparison before buying either one of them .

I also think both of the next consoles wont be a bleeding edge like xbox 360 and ps3 was during its release because of manufacturing costs,
6 years ago while 360 and ps3 was launched hardware costs were not too much costly as it is now and also both consoles sold at loss and they thought that they can catch up with the loss by selling games .

I still think that today's pc will be atleast 2-3 times more powerful than next gen consoles .

I will Comment even further after i start to receive your opinions . God Bless

More about : ps4 xbox 720

April 12, 2012 8:09:00 AM

PS4, but both consoles are getting HEAVY internal hardware upgrades, so hard to tell :D 
April 12, 2012 10:23:41 AM

Ultimate Gohan said:
Hey guys,
I know that it is too early to speak about next gen consoles but a lot of rumors has been circulating around the net everyday about these next gen consoles.
What are the features do u expect from next gen consoles ?
What console do u think will come out on top ?

I think Ps4 will be be more powerful than xbox 720 but xbox 720 will have innovative type of gameplay

Whichever console introduces innovative and better style of gameplay like whole body motion gaming, better gaming support, tablet like controller etc..

I think both consoles will come out by 2013 end and i will grab either one of the console within 2 or 3 months , i will consider number of launch up titles for each consoles, exclusives, durability, above features and graphics comparison before buying either one of them .

I also think both of the next consoles wont be a bleeding edge like xbox 360 and ps3 was during its release because of manufacturing costs,
6 years ago while 360 and ps3 was launched hardware costs were not too much costly as it is now and also both consoles sold at loss and they thought that they can catch up with the loss by selling games .

I still think that today's pc will be atleast 2-3 times more powerful than next gen consoles .

I will Comment even further after i start to receive your opinions . God Bless


In general I agree with your presumptions. I'm not sure about if or why the 720 might have more innovative gameplay than the PS4, but really only time will tell. To be honest, I kind of hope that they abandon some of these attempts at motion controls and the like, or at least make them very peripheral aspects that don't have an impact on standard games. Maybe I'm old fashioned =)
Related resources
April 12, 2012 2:20:08 PM

my biggest question is which one will have backwards compatibility, but aside with that it will really depend on what exclusives each one gets and also for cross platform titles which console will play the same thing better. There's a lot riding on next gen consoles for both sony and microsoft and I think they will try to outdo each other in anything they can so the marketing could spin it, but long story short they will still be limited by profitability, they cannot go overboard with hardware because it would make the end user price too high or they would have to charge more on games again (which I don't think anybody will be happy about)
April 12, 2012 5:17:39 PM

I think both systems will be about the same hardware wise.
Its going to come down to exclusives like Kinect, Halo, Uncharted, God of War

Personally, i hope i will be able to afford both.

I think Sony biggest obstacle is online, it doesnt compared to xbox live and i think sony should consider charging for the service.

Xbox's biggest obstacle is sales outside North America
April 15, 2012 4:53:53 PM

Hard tell from rumors. But they got to put something out soon.. As of right now I own 2 xbox360 1 wII. I would like to get a ps3. But is it to late to get one?
April 16, 2012 7:04:33 PM

Word is that Sony will be first to market with the PlayStation 4, and that Microsoft's Xbox 720 has 16 cores to entice gamers.

Quote:
Time to catch up with some of the latest next generation gaming console rumors.

This generation, particularly in North America, Microsoft has had the upper hand in the battle between Xbox and Playstation. But Sony dominated the last generation when the Playstation 2 was far more popular than the original Xbox. The tables turned when Microsoft launched the Xbox 360 before Sony could get the Playstation 3 out the door. Gamers hungry for new hardware jumped from the Playstation 2 to the Xbox 360.

For the next generation, according to a post (from April 2nd) on VG247, Sony is planning to be first to market. In fact the quote is that they are "confident" that they'll be on store shelves first.

But does it really matter? The Xbox 360 beat the PS3 by about a year. That's a lot of time to establish a lead. If the rumors are correct and both consoles ship for Holiday 2013, the PS4 will beat the Xbox 720 by a couple of months at most.

Additionally, Sony has managed to gather a lot of ill will in the gaming community and beyond. You can trace this back as far as the CD rootkit scandal of 2005. Or maybe it was Sony's Ken Kutaragi suggesting that gamers should work more hours in order to pay for the super-expensive launch PS3. Sony became famous for its arrogance and a lot of gamers aren't yet ready to forgive.

Sony is also reeling from a bad year, cutting 10,000 jobs and reporting a $6.4 billion loss. What will this mean for the PS4? It's hard to say, though games are one of the three main focuses for new Sony President Kaz Hirai's turn-around plan (the other two are mobile and digital imaging). With so much emphasis on Sony's gaming business, maybe the company can make amends with the gaming community.

But let's not forget the elephant in the room. The Nintendo Wii U is launching holiday 2012. Most reports suggest that it has about the same power (some say a little less, others say a little more) as the current Xbox 360 and PS3 so it's easy to discount Nintendo, but many discounted the original Wii and look how well it did. Can the Wii U make a serious dent in the "core gamer" market with a year-long head start?

Anyway, it seems to me that if the Xbox 720 and PS4 both launch in the 2013 holiday season, neither will have a 'head start.' People will wait a month or two to get the brand they want. There's a world of difference between an eight week head start and a year-long head start.

So let's move on to the Xbox 720. As reported by CVG, the latest edition of Xbox World magazine has details on the Xbox 720 "Durango" development kits that have been sent to developers. Mystery sources say the devkits are powered by "a state of the art 16-core IBM Power PC CPU." Xbox World says the system has "a ridiculous amount of power for a games machine -- too much power, even."

So there's a sound bite for you: "The Xbox 720: It has TOO MUCH POWER."

Ars Technica responded to this rumorin a nostalga-filled post that recalled Atari's "64 Bit" marketing campaign for the Atari Jaguar video game system. As Ars points out, without knowing how powerful each core is, 16 cores doesn't mean all that much.

More interesting to me is word from CVG that third party developers are intending to show off their in-progress next generation titles at E3. Both Sony and Microsoft have made a point of saying they won't be talking about new hardware at the show this June. Third party devs apparently have no qualms about going forward without the support of the hardware manufacturers.

Of all the rumors I've heard lately, this is the one I really hope is true. I want to see what kinds of games developers can produce using the next generation of gaming console hardware.


http://www.pcworld.com/article/253830/whats_next_with_g...
April 17, 2012 4:13:43 AM

Xbox 720, but only if they retain the current controller with a better D-pad. Hardware is important, but nothing is concrete yet so debating which will be better in that aspect is sorta pointless at the moment. I also think price will be a huge factor.
April 17, 2012 12:59:25 PM

This is my breakdown of consoles.....There based on the games in which you play them on. Each console has PS or XBOX only games, so i get both regardless.

TOP PRORITY LIST
1. Backwards Compatibility
2. Built In WIFI with a browser
3. Xbox has KINECT to play around with, the PS has the Wii Style motion controls and screw the WII as its for little boys and gilrs.
4. A bluRay player
5. Games that FULLY use the consoles to the max, i want CRISIS like quality here, other wise im dropping 5k on a pc and torrent all i want. ( I DON'T ENDORSE PIRATING, JUST MAKING A POINT)
April 17, 2012 3:42:23 PM

yet your making a point is an attitude a lot take up these days which in turn ends up with us seeing less PC only releases
January 14, 2013 1:21:16 AM

I'm definitely going with a PS4. This last gen I got a 360 because that's what all my friends got (a lot of that was probably because Microsoft got such a huge release jump) and I mainly wanted to play online with people I knew.

But I have a feeling more of the NeXbox's money will be going towards it's connect play which I really have no desire for personally. I saw an article (I'll try to find it later) from a top Sony executive claiming their looking for a way to make a couple pieces of hardware to upgrade during it's life cycle too (probably the GPU and RAM, since consoles are less CPU intensive), but plan for a 10 year life cycle instead of 6-8 if they do so.

That's not a supported life cycle saying they'd support it for 10 years like they've done, but they want it to last 10 years until the next console comes out and to do that they'll make upgrades somehow available.

Anyway, I think Playstation has much better first party games as well as more of them. It's also going to support 4k (not true 4k, but it's better than just having 1080 for the better part of a decade).

January 14, 2013 3:41:52 AM

FYI it is stated that the PS4 will have some sort of "used game" tech.... making it so if you are playing a used game or buy it second hand you have to pay the games manufacturer a fee.... due to this my vote sways to Xbox 720. Go read it on IGN if you think i made it up.

Actually now i read both systems are trying to cull the used game market .....wtf. Games better still not be $60 if they cannot be resold.
January 14, 2013 4:14:58 AM

envymert said:
FYI it is stated that the PS4 will have some sort of "used game" tech.... making it so if you are playing a used game or buy it second hand you have to pay the games manufacturer a fee.... due to this my vote sways to Xbox 720. Go read it on IGN if you think i made it up.

Actually now i read both systems are trying to cull the used game market .....wtf. Games better still not be $60 if they cannot be resold.


I don't believe it's been said that this tech will necessarily be incorporated into the consoles. It's simply known that Sony has patented a potential way of doing this. You can assume there might be an incorporation, but there is no confirmation that it is the case.
January 14, 2013 12:50:03 PM

Well, its sounding like the 720 will be using a PPC CPU, so I'm suspecting a POWER7 Cell variant. So I'm not expecting much of an upgrade from that area. The GPU, for both consoles, will be where the boost comes from, and I'd suspect an AMD 5000/6000 series GPU for both (with a VERY slim chance for the 7000/8000 series for the PS4, if they delay it long enough).

Word is out on the PS4 CPU though. I'd still suspect PPC until proven otherwise, especially if MSFT sticks with it.
January 14, 2013 1:38:59 PM

i would buy neither as they are gonna be outdated on the day of release...
they will likely have dx11, but dx12 is just round the corner for pc users then dx13 and 14 (slated for 2016-2017). chances are when we are playing crysis 4 5 and 6 on max settings with near photo realistic visuals. consoles will be playing games that look no better than bf3 currently does on a dx11 card(unless they allow upgrades)
sad but thats the reality of the next 5 years will be hardware limited gaming again for consoles. yes you will still get the odd title that will make you go wow. but they will get less and less as pc hardware changes again to the higher direct x requirements.

the 7670 or 7770 is touted as the basic gfx for both, you may be able to upgrade this at a severely inflated price to something like a 7970. (remember the rediculous price of a 250gig hdd for the first 360's and the current 500 gig price...
cpu's both seem to be going for a quad core of some sort or other, and some rumors say the 720 may have room for 2. unlikely if they want to sell it for under 400 without taking a massive loss per console (m.s have said there is no way they will eat the same losses per console they did last gen).
so although consoles will again be quite impressive initally they will likely date very quickly this time round.
just to refrence the 5*** and 6*** amd cards. there is little chance of that as they are actually more expencive to produce than the 7 series as the 7 series is better optimized and gives better yields per wafer. they are soon gonna stop producing the 6 series and they have already stopped the 5 series. 6 moths ago you could buy a 5870 for 150 today there back up to 250-300 because they are becoming rare. same will happen for the 6 series by the summer of 2013.
Anonymous
January 16, 2013 6:55:55 AM

Ok here is my question; How much power pc need to compare with them?
January 16, 2013 7:01:29 AM

Anonymous said:
Ok here is my question; How much power pc need to compare with them?


The new consoles whenever they release will already be far less powerful than current "average" gaming computers. FAR less powerful.
Anonymous
January 16, 2013 7:49:45 AM

No offence but don't you think it's a little bit bombast? I heard next gen can compare with james cameron avatar or something.
January 16, 2013 10:32:40 AM

Anonymous said:
No offence but don't you think it's a little bit bombast? I heard next gen can compare with james cameron avatar or something.


I heard you fly to the store in your Jetson's car to buy it at Best Buy. :sarcastic: 
January 17, 2013 3:08:21 PM

While I was a big 360 fan this generation, I don't see me grabbing the new xbox next generation. If so, it will be late in the game and solely for its exclusives. Especially if they keep their paid online service in the same state as this generation.

I am getting into pc gaming for the first time, and, if this generation is any indicator, the xbox won't be offering much that can't be found on pc.
January 18, 2013 4:54:57 PM

IGN has apparently leaked the HW specs:

720: PowerPC CPU [no other details known], modified AMD 6670 GPU
PS4: X86 AMD APU [suspected A10-APU], modified AMD 7670 GPU
January 19, 2013 1:56:38 AM

Xbox in my opinion
February 4, 2013 4:47:19 AM

The only thing xbox 360 has ever had an edge on over PS3 has been a more refined network via xbox live, but I'd still rather have a free PSN that is average over having to pay yearly for xbox live. PS3 has better specs including a blu ray player. A better controller (at least in my opinion). And much better exclusives, although I think many exclusives are starting be produced for both now. Unless you love halo there isn't anything the xbox offers that the PS doesn't do better.
February 4, 2013 1:39:44 PM

lazykoala said:
The only thing xbox 360 has ever had an edge on over PS3 has been a more refined network via xbox live, but I'd still rather have a free PSN that is average over having to pay yearly for xbox live. PS3 has better specs including a blu ray player. A better controller (at least in my opinion). And much better exclusives, although I think many exclusives are starting be produced for both now. Unless you love halo there isn't anything the xbox offers that the PS doesn't do better.


Unless you like Uncharted and Metal Gear, there isn't anything that the Xbox1080 and PS5 can do that the PC sitting in my study as we speak can't do better. Hyperbole but certainly you can see how your logic can be applied in the same way.

You'll need better logic to discern which is the preferable system, and you won't be able to formulate a more logical opinion without more information about things like controller design, peripherals, launch titles, and how their respective online setups will work. Since we don't know any of these things (barring a possible leak of a PS4 controller scheme which looks roughly like every other PS controller), the thread's honestly just got a bad title. The OP itself is a pretty good post with different points that he will be considering, but the title has lead everyone to jump in here and just post garbage.
February 5, 2013 1:22:41 AM

casualcolors said:
Unless you like Uncharted and Metal Gear, there isn't anything that the Xbox1080 and PS5 can do that the PC sitting in my study as we speak can't do better. Hyperbole but certainly you can see how your logic can be applied in the same way.


Uh what? First of all were only talking about console vs. console which has nothing to do with PC so don't know why that is even being brought up. It doesn't take any logic to do a simple comparison of 360 vs ps3.

- hardware: ps3 wins if for no other reason it has a blu ray player
- network: tie...because 360s is better, but ps3s is free
- exclusives: ps3 wins because it has way more high quality exclusives whereas 360 has only halo and gears of war
February 5, 2013 1:34:34 AM

lazykoala said:
Uh what? First of all were only talking about console vs. console which has nothing to do with PC so don't know why that is even being brought up. It doesn't take any logic to do a simple comparison of 360 vs ps3.

- hardware: ps3 wins if for no other reason it has a blu ray player
- network: tie...because 360s is better, but ps3s is free
- exclusives: ps3 wins because it has way more high quality exclusives whereas 360 has only halo and gears of war


Except that Xbox360 and PS3 effectively have nothing to do with the topic of this thread unless you're using them as surrogates for the 720 and PS4, which this thread actually is about. Otherwise, the relevance to the topic is non-existent.
February 5, 2013 6:33:15 AM

casualcolors said:
Except that Xbox360 and PS3 effectively have nothing to do with the topic of this thread unless you're using them as surrogates for the 720 and PS4, which this thread actually is about. Otherwise, the relevance to the topic is non-existent.


Nothing to do with the thread lol? You do realize the ps4 and 720 aren't out yet right? For now all we can do is compare the current gen and try to predict next gen. And if you go by this gen, a simple comparison gives playstation an obvious edge. Not to mention all the rumors point to sony's console being more powerful.
February 5, 2013 11:20:52 AM

lazykoala said:
Nothing to do with the thread lol? You do realize the ps4 and 720 aren't out yet right? For now all we can do is compare the current gen and try to predict next gen. And if you go by this gen, a simple comparison gives playstation an obvious edge. Not to mention all the rumors point to sony's console being more powerful.


Since approximately zero of the aforementioned features (two of my posts back) have been confirmed for either system, using the 360 and PS3 to debate the relative values of two unannounced, unreleased and unspecified systems is about as factually important as the waving flag being used to deny the moon landings. :hello: 
February 6, 2013 12:32:29 AM

casualcolors said:
Since approximately zero of the aforementioned features (two of my posts back) have been confirmed for either system, using the 360 and PS3 to debate the relative values of two unannounced, unreleased and unspecified systems is about as factually important as the waving flag being used to deny the moon landings. :hello: 


Then what would you like to use to discuss anything? Apparently the thread is pointless to you since we can't talk about the future at all or even use the past to predict the future. I would say past consoles are very relevant to predicting future consoles and whereabouts they will rank in comparison to one another.
February 6, 2013 3:36:10 AM

PS because the great quality of the games, IMO.
February 6, 2013 11:34:05 PM

well some of Xbox 720 features have been released, the only issue is the always on internet connection and the fact you can't borrow games or buy used games because of the 1 use code per user id. So once you get a game that's it, no one else can play it and you can't sell it, the code is tied to the user id. PS4 will only make there announcement feb 20, 2013 if they are doing the same thing, if they are I believe Wii U will out sell those consoles buy a mile. Right now I will wait for the final announcements, I like picking up used games, if nothing else this will be my decision for purchasing a future console.
February 11, 2013 8:29:45 PM

I'm kinda open to the ps4 or 720 but after seeing the wii u I will not be getting it. for me it kinda depends on what my friends get which will probably be the 720
February 12, 2013 9:55:49 AM

roumors say thy will be about the same and that they will be a bit slow.

Ofc those are roumors, but hard to imagine they will make anything as strong as a high end PC.

I guess it comes down to platform exclusive games and what ones you want to play.
!