2 identical printers not installed with the same driver

I have a Toshiba notebook, and i just bought 2 Epson EPL6200 printers, one to use in the office, and the second to be used at the user's home. The problem is that when the second printer is connected (after the first is dosconnected) the computer makes a copy of the printer driver, and the default printer does not work any more (eg EPSON EPL6200 (1)).
does anyone have any idea how could i use the same driver for both printers (and the usb port also) ???
2 answers Last reply
More about identical printers installed driver

    Common problem....

    USB printers ...... some have unique IDs actually built into the printer
    (which appears to be the case in your problem.)..... if you install one and
    then have to reconnect it to the second USB port, it will recognize that it
    is the same printer, but you've just connected it to the other USB port....
    XP will then realize this and 'transfer' over the drivers. If you connect a
    second identical printer, but with a different ID, it will install a second
    instance of the printer because, in XP's eyes, it is a different printer.

    Some USB printers do not have the unique ID built it.... in which case if
    you transfer the same printer to a second USB port, XP will automatically
    install a second set of drivers, because again it thinks there is a second
    instance of the printer.

    You may be able to get around your problem by ensuing you use one USB port
    for connecting the printer at work and another USB port when connecting the
    printer at home. Otherwise, you're down to having two identical printers,
    with unique IDs, therefore in XP's eyes, two different printers.

    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com
    "gjohn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Toshiba notebook, and i just bought 2 Epson EPL6200 printers, one
    >to use in the office, and the second to be used at the user's home. The
    >problem is that when the second printer is connected (after the first is
    >dosconnected) the computer makes a copy of the printer driver, and the
    >default printer does not work any more (eg EPSON EPL6200 (1)).
    > does anyone have any idea how could i use the same driver for both
    > printers (and the usb port also) ???

    Thanks for the answer Cari, but it didn't work. So i just named the first instance of the driver as office and the second as home, having as default the office, and the user will select the home printer when at home.
    Thanks anyway

    gjohn

Epson Printers Windows XP