When to stop?

G

I was wondering when I will know exactly when to stop overclocking my video card? What affects should I see? Thanks.

Sevensins

G

tell us what vid card it is you are trying to overclock. Next, when changing the settings don't make big jump in the clock. After making the changes, run a benchmark and view the gains in fps. When you change a clock setting and either the test fails (nvidia drivers oc'n) or the benchmark doesn't complete set the clock back to your last settings before the crash. Then benchmark more many hours looping the benchmark to ensure that it is stable more than a few minutes. Make sure you have proper cooling for the ammount of oc you'll be doing. heatsink and fan are a must if your serious about having more than a few fps in oc. Also a good idea to get memory heatsinks as well. I miss anything?

G

ok, I am trying to overclock a GeForce 2MX. I have a fan and heatsink on the GPU, heatsinks on the ram, and 60mm Sunon fan blowing the whole card, but basically towards the ram. Here is what happens when I overclock,

I move up about 5mhz (is that to much?) on either memory or core. Test and then repeat.

However, the test have never failed yet and I think I ran a benchmark once, but don't remember. Anyways, at some point i get lines like this | | | |, only thicker and on the screen in different places. Those made me believe that it shouldn't be overclocked anymore, am i right? Or is that another problem?

Thanks!!

Sevensins

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
one thing I like to use when OCing video is the goofy 3D flower box screensaver. I OCed mine all the way...and it appeared to work ok until I ran that saver and the screen was all pixellated. I just backed it down until the saver ran fine.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

Sometimes getting the ||| can mean that you've reached the max but since you have the cooling it should be fine. Sometimes a certain mix of core hrz and memory hrz can cause incompatibilities. Just keep monitoring the heat.

gregorarch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, heat isn't the big problem with O/Cing memory - it's transistor conductivity. You could chill your DRAMs with liquid nitrogen, but they will not get past a certain frequency. The limitation is determined by transistor geometry. The artifacts resulting from conductivity problems in memory are very different to those produced by GPU overheating - have a read of this article: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=1246