Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

XP: Unable to connect to shared printers in a Workgroup co..

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Printers
  • Windows XP
April 27, 2004 1:21:07 PM

This is the first time I've encountered this specific issue. To give a general idea of the setup, we have a workgroup configuration of approx. 42 computers, 38 of them running Windows XP Professional with SP1. Have approx 11 printers that are shared and distributed across various departments. One of my users, who used to be able to print to a shared printer across the hallway, reported that yesterday, he was no longer able to print. I used his computer to try and connect to the different shared printers, but constantly get the error that Windows was unable to connect to the shared printer and that possible problem could be that the print spool service was not running. But, the spooler service is running on both systems, and the running services on both systems are identical. I compared that to my own system, which is able to connect to the share, and cound not find any difference. Any help is appreciated. Let me know if you need any specific info and I'll be glad to provide it.

More about : unable connect shared printers workgroup

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 1:53:25 PM

If the printers are connected to the XP Pro PCs, are you sure you're not
running into the 10 simultaneous connection limitation in XP?

--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Manoj Nayak" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is the first time I've encountered this specific issue. To give a
> general idea of the setup, we have a workgroup configuration of approx. 42
> computers, 38 of them running Windows XP Professional with SP1. Have
> approx 11 printers that are shared and distributed across various
> departments. One of my users, who used to be able to print to a shared
> printer across the hallway, reported that yesterday, he was no longer able
> to print. I used his computer to try and connect to the different shared
> printers, but constantly get the error that Windows was unable to connect
> to the shared printer and that possible problem could be that the print
> spool service was not running. But, the spooler service is running on
> both systems, and the running services on both systems are identical. I
> compared that to my own system, which is able to connect to the share, and
> cound not find any difference. Any help is appreciated. Let me know if
> you need any specific info and I'll be glad to provide it.
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 4:13:25 PM

Hello Cari,

The thought did cross my mind. But that brings up the
other question. I can connect to the same shared printer
from any of the other 38 computers. So why would only
this one system run into the limitation problem? So, by
process of elimination, I'd have to chalk that off as a
possible cause. Plus, as I mentioned before, I've
compared services on two seperate pcs to the one that has
this problem, and they're all identical. The user has
Administrative rights on the local machine and there are
no user-ids or passwords needed for the shared printer
since the security setting is set to Everyone -> Print.
Any other thoughts? Any particular setting that I'm
possibly over looking here?

April 28, 2004 1:37:28 PM

Good Morning Manoj

See if Bruce Sanderson's instructions on installing a network printer stop
your problem...

> Hello Cari,
>
> The thought did cross my mind. But that brings up the
> other question. I can connect to the same shared printer
> from any of the other 38 computers. So why would only
> this one system run into the limitation problem? So, by
> process of elimination, I'd have to chalk that off as a
> possible cause. Plus, as I mentioned before, I've
> compared services on two seperate pcs to the one that has
> this problem, and they're all identical. The user has
> Administrative rights on the local machine and there are
> no user-ids or passwords needed for the shared printer
> since the security setting is set to Everyone -> Print.
> Any other thoughts? Any particular setting that I'm
> possibly over looking here?

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 9:34:18 PM

Hello again Cari,

Went through those instructions, and tried it out; still at square one. I'm
starting to wonder if the issue lies in policy restrictions on the local
machine? While I'm at it, let me ask a quick question; If a local policy is
set to where a certain task is restricted, would this affect all users of
the local machine? Or just the current user?

Manoj