Network printing

bonehead

I have a user who is attached to several networked
printers, each at a different remote branch. Whenever he
reboots he will lose the ability to print at one of the
printers. For example, he has printers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
He boots up and finds he can't print to #5. Next reboot
he can now print to #5, but now can't print to #3.
Reboot, can print to #3, but not #4.

The error message reads:
Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current
printer setup.
Try one or more of the following:
* Check the printer by printing a test page from Windows.
* Make sure the printer is turned on and online.
* Reinstall the printer driver

Others, locally and remotely, are able to print to the
printer in question.

Thanks,

Is he also connected to other PCs? If so he's possibly hitting the 10
simultaneous limitation in XP Pro or 5 in XP Home.
www.coribright.com

"bonehead" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a user who is attached to several networked
> printers, each at a different remote branch. Whenever he
> reboots he will lose the ability to print at one of the
> printers. For example, he has printers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
> He boots up and finds he can't print to #5. Next reboot
> he can now print to #5, but now can't print to #3.
> Reboot, can print to #3, but not #4.
>
> The error message reads:
> Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current
> printer setup.
> Try one or more of the following:
> * Check the printer by printing a test page from Windows.
> * Make sure the printer is turned on and online.
> * Reinstall the printer driver
>
> Others, locally and remotely, are able to print to the
> printer in question.
>
> Thanks,

bonehead

Cari, tell me more.

We are on a WAN with 150 other PCs, several BDCs and a
PDC (nt4 sp6). At his local branch there are 10+ other
PCs and a BDC. Only one of the 6 printers he connects to
is NOT shared off a server.

Hardware)