File and Print services for Unix - Win XP

Hi,

After installing file and print services for unix on XP,
it sets up your printer to accept unix (LPD) commands to
your printer on valid IP (\\19x.x.x.x\hp)
This works fine, however, The LPD service is not
configured to work for localhost (\\127.0.0.1\hp)
Is there any way for me to get this to work?

A quick way to test see if the service is available, after
installing f&p services for unix, open a window using the
Ip address ie \\19x.x.x.x and you will see a folder
called: printers and faxes.

When you open \\127.0.0.1 this folder is not available....
however for a brief while only, immediately after
installing the Service for the 1st time (before reboot) it
actually is available...

Also for some reason??? when connecting to the network via
dial-in) the service is also suddenly available for
\\127.0.0.1

Please help, I really need this to be available for normal
LAN connections also.

Many Thanks
Clinton
2 answers Last reply
More about file print services unix

    when connecting to \\19x.x.x and seeing the printers folder, you are
    connecting to the server service not the LPD service. You do not need to
    load additional services to open the printers folder over the ip address.

    To view jobs over LPD you must use the lpq command. To submit jobs to LPD
    you must use the lpr command. I'd say LPD does not support the localhost
    IP. Anyone with more info on this can jump in.

    lpq -S 127.0.0.1 -P hp

    Windows LPD Server
    Error: specified printer does not exist

    lpq -S system2 -P hp

    Windows LPD Server
    Printer \\10.198.9.33\hp (Paused)

    Owner Status Jobname Job-Id Size Pages Priority
    user Waiting Test Page 2 110656 1 1

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Clinton" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > After installing file and print services for unix on XP,
    > it sets up your printer to accept unix (LPD) commands to
    > your printer on valid IP (\\19x.x.x.x\hp)
    > This works fine, however, The LPD service is not
    > configured to work for localhost (\\127.0.0.1\hp)
    > Is there any way for me to get this to work?
    >
    > A quick way to test see if the service is available, after
    > installing f&p services for unix, open a window using the
    > Ip address ie \\19x.x.x.x and you will see a folder
    > called: printers and faxes.
    >
    > When you open \\127.0.0.1 this folder is not available....
    > however for a brief while only, immediately after
    > installing the Service for the 1st time (before reboot) it
    > actually is available...
    >
    > Also for some reason??? when connecting to the network via
    > dial-in) the service is also suddenly available for
    > \\127.0.0.1
    >
    > Please help, I really need this to be available for normal
    > LAN connections also.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > Clinton

    It used to work in Windows NT, so the code must have changed at some point.
    It shouldn't matter though as you can use the local PC's name or IP address.

    --
    Tony Edgecombe
    www.frogmorecs.com/ng

Unix Windows XP Printers