Changing printer queue name

April 28, 2004 9:57:46 AM

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the printer
queue name within Windows XP as you could do within
Windows 98? We use a software application where we need
to specify in an INI file a printer name for a group of
users that print to different printers. Under Windows
98, we could rename their appropriate printer queue to
the necessary printer name specified in the INI file but
that does not seem to be applicable within Windows XP.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

More about : changing printer queue

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 6:40:13 PM

If you are referring to renaming a networked printer, then no.

You can create a local printer that prints to a Local Port with the name
\\printserver\printshare. The users have to be admins to rename the printer

Create a local printer, and then redirect the port to the network server.
Follow these steps:

1.. Create a local printer and, under Ports, add a new port.
2.. Click Local Port, click New Port, and then type the server and printer
name for the printer in \\ServerName\PrinterName syntax.
3.. Use the new port for the local printer.
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

!