Presario 5711 Canadian

Hi:
Trying to install a USB 2.0 card in my old compaq. There is an available PCI
slot, but I can't remove the little metal cover that protects the opening
from invasion by dust. It's held in by an extension card retention bracket
which I can remove with no problem. However, the metal slot cover will not
come out. It seems to be sealed in there somehow. I can pry it apart at the
bottom and the sides, but in the middle it is firmly held by something. Any
ideas, anyone. I'm scared to push too hard on it for fear of damaging some
other parts.
Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about presario 5711 canadian

    "jennyjay" <bgclarke@mts.net> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    > Trying to install a USB 2.0 card in my old compaq. There is an available
    PCI
    > slot, but I can't remove the little metal cover that protects the opening
    > from invasion by dust. It's held in by an extension card retention bracket
    > which I can remove with no problem. However, the metal slot cover will not
    > come out. It seems to be sealed in there somehow. I can pry it apart at
    the
    > bottom and the sides, but in the middle it is firmly held by something.
    Any
    > ideas, anyone. I'm scared to push too hard on it for fear of damaging some
    > other parts.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Don't know about your model but on other units you need to twist (that is to
    break ) it off. I found something about installing a card specifically to
    your model, perhaps this help:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=br&docname=c00006862&pr
    oduct=93570&dlc=pt&lang=en

    Check here for the Maintenance & Service Guide for your 5711:

    http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/5700/

    HH

    "foolinyu" <foo@BayArea.none> wrote in message

    > "jennyjay" <bgclarke@mts.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi:
    > > Trying to install a USB 2.0 card in my old compaq. There is an available
    > PCI
    > > slot, but I can't remove the little metal cover that protects the
    opening
    > > from invasion by dust. It's held in by an extension card retention
    bracket
    > > which I can remove with no problem. However, the metal slot cover will
    not
    > > come out. It seems to be sealed in there somehow. I can pry it apart at
    > the
    > > bottom and the sides, but in the middle it is firmly held by something.
    > Any
    > > ideas, anyone. I'm scared to push too hard on it for fear of damaging
    some
    > > other parts.
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >

    > Don't know about your model but on other units you need to twist (that is
    > break ) it off. I found something about installing a card specifically to
    > your model, perhaps this help:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=br&docname=c00006862&pr
    > oduct=93570&dlc=pt&lang=en

Compaq Presario Computers