Car Kits for Modern Phones

Last response: in Network Providers
February 4, 2005 7:48:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.celluar.cingular (More info?)

My wife and I are looking to switch from Cingular to Verizon. One of the
reasons I've stuck with Cingular is because of the Ericsson phones they
offered and the professional quality car-kits you can get for them. After
driving around with a phone in the cradle and a quality speaker-phone setup
(including the glass-mount antenna) - it's hard to give it up. I do most of
my chatting in the car during my commutes. But lately Cingular's sound
quality has tanked as they are phasing out TDMA in favor of GSM.

I've had the car kits for my Ericsson DH668, T60D and T62U (GAIT) phones.
Finding something comparable is getting harder.

I realize that cellular coverage has gotten much better in recent years, so
the need for an external antenna isn't as great, but I do live out in the
boonies where there are some weak and dead spots. Do they even still make
phones that have antenna connectors on the back?

So what's out there for either carrier? I wouldn't mind staying with
Cingular, but the wife hates it and wants to go back to Verizon.

Thanks in advance.

More about : car kits modern phones

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 7:48:47 AM

Les Wilson wrote:
> My wife and I are looking to switch from Cingular to Verizon. One of
> the reasons I've stuck with Cingular is because of the Ericsson
> phones they offered and the professional quality car-kits you can get
> for them. After driving around with a phone in the cradle and a
> quality speaker-phone setup (including the glass-mount antenna) -
> it's hard to give it up. I do most of my chatting in the car during
> my commutes. But lately Cingular's sound quality has tanked as they
> are phasing out TDMA in favor of GSM.
>
> I've had the car kits for my Ericsson DH668, T60D and T62U (GAIT)
> phones. Finding something comparable is getting harder.
>
> I realize that cellular coverage has gotten much better in recent
> years, so the need for an external antenna isn't as great, but I do
> live out in the boonies where there are some weak and dead spots. Do
> they even still make phones that have antenna connectors on the back?
>
> So what's out there for either carrier? I wouldn't mind staying with
> Cingular, but the wife hates it and wants to go back to Verizon.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Don't know how it compares, but I do external antennas out in the boonies,
and have found almost all verizon phones have external antenna connectors on
em.

Here's a handy site for seeing what is available at many truck stops
(truckers use em both on the road and when stopped... they usually sell
wilson cellular or can order special order items)
http://www.wilsoncellular.com/
February 4, 2005 10:57:49 PM

I have three Motorola V60s phones in the family, and three Motorola
professional car kits installed in three vehicles. It works great since any
phone works in any vehicle at any given time...

"Les Wilson" <nessman@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o 8DMd.21840$8H2.12208@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> My wife and I are looking to switch from Cingular to Verizon. One of the
> reasons I've stuck with Cingular is because of the Ericsson phones they
> offered and the professional quality car-kits you can get for them. After
> driving around with a phone in the cradle and a quality speaker-phone
setup
> (including the glass-mount antenna) - it's hard to give it up. I do most
of
> my chatting in the car during my commutes. But lately Cingular's sound
> quality has tanked as they are phasing out TDMA in favor of GSM.
>
> I've had the car kits for my Ericsson DH668, T60D and T62U (GAIT) phones.
> Finding something comparable is getting harder.
>
> I realize that cellular coverage has gotten much better in recent years,
so
> the need for an external antenna isn't as great, but I do live out in the
> boonies where there are some weak and dead spots. Do they even still make
> phones that have antenna connectors on the back?
>
> So what's out there for either carrier? I wouldn't mind staying with
> Cingular, but the wife hates it and wants to go back to Verizon.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:57:50 PM

Motorola is a good choice. Ihave Nokia cark-91's and have been using a
6340i on ATTWS for 2 years just because it fits the speakerphone. Next
phone will require a change. I'd go bluetooth, I use it on a Moto 270c, but
I have to play with the connection. Most carriers have a Moto model, and
I'm copnsidering a v551 on attws.

I'd love to hear other ideas from the group

!