EQ2: My "grouping" night

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

1) Logged in, and went to the Crypt of Betrayal to see if I could get into
a pickup group to do Armor Quest 4. No luck finding a group.
2) While waiting for somebody to show up for AQ4, I decide to
try to solo the blue con mobs I need for the quest. No luck
soloing them since Sony instituted the anti-soloing nerfs.
3)Waited another 15 minutes for a pickup group. No luck finding a
group after another 15 minutes.
4) Gave up and ran to Thunderring Steepes to see if I could find a
pickup group for the Spindlecog helm or dwarven boots quest.
No luck finding a group in the Thunderring Steepes instance.
5) Zoned into the second TS instance. Find a group camping
the spawn I need for the boots quest! Cool! Come to find out
one of the toons in the group is eight levels above me - meaning
I can't join their group and get credit. No luck finding a group.
6) Run back to the crypt of betrayal to see if an AQ4 group
is forming. No luck finding a group.
7) Log out after a couple of hours running around looking for
a group.

I'm *this close* (holds figurative fingers an inch apart) to canceling
my eq2 account.

I'm even playing a healer as my main since I thought it would be easier to
get pickup groups.

Blizzard - save a place for me on one of your servers.
18 answers Last reply
More about grouping night

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:19:38 -0500, "emolsen" <emolsen@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >1) Logged in, and went to the Crypt of Betrayal to see if I could get into
    >a pickup group to do Armor Quest 4. No luck finding a group.
    >2) While waiting for somebody to show up for AQ4, I decide to
    >try to solo the blue con mobs I need for the quest. No luck
    >soloing them since Sony instituted the anti-soloing nerfs.
    >3)Waited another 15 minutes for a pickup group. No luck finding a
    >group after another 15 minutes.
    >4) Gave up and ran to Thunderring Steepes to see if I could find a
    >pickup group for the Spindlecog helm or dwarven boots quest.
    >No luck finding a group in the Thunderring Steepes instance.
    >5) Zoned into the second TS instance. Find a group camping
    >the spawn I need for the boots quest! Cool! Come to find out
    >one of the toons in the group is eight levels above me - meaning
    >I can't join their group and get credit. No luck finding a group.
    >6) Run back to the crypt of betrayal to see if an AQ4 group
    >is forming. No luck finding a group.
    >7) Log out after a couple of hours running around looking for
    >a group.
    >
    >I'm *this close* (holds figurative fingers an inch apart) to canceling
    >my eq2 account.
    >
    >I'm even playing a healer as my main since I thought it would be easier to
    >get pickup groups.
    >
    >Blizzard - save a place for me on one of your servers.

    I too have found grouping to be problematic and erratic at best on my
    server (Unrest). Not very many people in the nearby zones and none my
    level.

    The game is new but most of the people I see LFG (or not even LFG but
    just around) are lvl 20 and above. I'm currently lvl 9, so no socials
    for me...

    I realize 20 is not *that* high, but I remember getting groups at lvl
    7 in EQ. There's more solo'able quests in 2 of course but then what's
    the point of the MM in MMORPG?

    /shrug I still primarily play EQ anyway so whatever. Just an
    observation really.

    ~F

    "Faeandar" <mr_castalot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:19:38 -0500, "emolsen" <emolsen@comcast.net>
    > I realize 20 is not *that* high, but I remember getting groups at lvl
    > 7 in EQ. There's more solo'able quests in 2 of course but then what's
    > the point of the MM in MMORPG?

    You dont need a group at level 9, and for the other guy, here is a
    hint...skip the quest and move on to other content

    unless you want your content spoon fed to you, then go pussy out and play
    WoW

    > You dont need a group at level 9, and for the other guy, here is a
    > hint...skip the quest and move on to other content

    It wasn't "the" quest - I was looking for a group for any of
    three different quests during the couple hours I was logged on.

    Also, as a lvl 22 templar, the bulk of the quests in my Journal
    require a group.

    My time constraints are such that I can play an hour here
    and an hour there. Translation - I'm not in a situation where I
    can have a regular group to play with and I rely on pickup groups.

    I guess your point was that I should continue to run from zone to
    zone to zone LFG in an attempt to "move on to other content"
    during the short periods I have to play?

    Also, please explain to me how playing WoW means you are
    "pussy (ing) out", as you so eloquently put it.

    In article <04mdnflFEYARcpffRVn-1g@comcast.com>, emolsen@comcast.net
    says...

    > Also, please explain to me how playing WoW means you are
    > "pussy (ing) out", as you so eloquently put it.

    He means WoW is more fun, and he resents it because he's an SOE fanboi.

    .... er ...

    He just means that WoW is more soloable, so the number of instances
    where you will -need- to group are less. Frankly it may suit your
    availability better.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    That may be in part because of the devs changes to make the game more
    'solo friendly'. Now, many people are soloing yellows, oranges and the
    new 'enraged' mobs instead of grouping, so in the end it hurts the
    people who like to group (and which is the base of the EQ population)
    because it gets harder to form groups, and it's a domino effect, if you
    have a group of 2 trying to get more, since you have to wait longer,
    the members already there get bored and decide to go solo.
    Luckily I'm in a guild where everyone is about my level (actually I was
    much higher but created a new toon just so I could play with them)
    I feel for you man, I heard the news about them trying to make the game
    more 'solo friendly', and knew it would hurt the guildless
    'non-soloers' players
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "emolsen" <emolsen@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > 1) Logged in, and went to the Crypt of Betrayal to see if I could get into
    > a pickup group to do Armor Quest 4. No luck finding a group.
    > 2) While waiting for somebody to show up for AQ4, I decide to
    > try to solo the blue con mobs I need for the quest. No luck
    > soloing them since Sony instituted the anti-soloing nerfs.
    > 3)Waited another 15 minutes for a pickup group. No luck finding a
    > group after another 15 minutes.
    > 4) Gave up and ran to Thunderring Steepes to see if I could find a
    > pickup group for the Spindlecog helm or dwarven boots quest.
    > No luck finding a group in the Thunderring Steepes instance.
    > 5) Zoned into the second TS instance. Find a group camping
    > the spawn I need for the boots quest! Cool! Come to find out
    > one of the toons in the group is eight levels above me - meaning
    > I can't join their group and get credit. No luck finding a group.
    > 6) Run back to the crypt of betrayal to see if an AQ4 group
    > is forming. No luck finding a group.
    > 7) Log out after a couple of hours running around looking for
    > a group.
    >
    > I'm *this close* (holds figurative fingers an inch apart) to canceling
    > my eq2 account.
    >
    > I'm even playing a healer as my main since I thought it would be easier to
    > get pickup groups.
    >
    > Blizzard - save a place for me on one of your servers.

    Did you try starting a group? If I can't find a group doing what I need to do, I
    sometimes start one up instead.

    Rich
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    wrote:

    >I'm even playing a healer as my main since I thought it would be easier to
    >get pickup groups.

    I was having the same problem, and switched to my Cleric as my new
    main - sh ecan now solo Blue >> mobs with a high degree of success,
    and groups of ordinary Blues.

    As someone state elsewhere, you'd be better off starting a group, as
    Clerics have a much easier time stating groups. Also, remember for a
    lot of mobs, you can get away with a group of 3, if you're careful to
    watch for additional mobs. You don't need a full group of 6 all the
    time.

    And what's with all the carrots ?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "emolsen" <emolsen@comcast.net> wrote in

    > 1) Logged in, and went to the Crypt of Betrayal to see if I could get
    > into a pickup group to do Armor Quest 4. No luck finding a group.
    > 2) While waiting for somebody to show up for AQ4, I decide to
    > try to solo the blue con mobs I need for the quest. No luck
    > soloing them since Sony instituted the anti-soloing nerfs.
    > 3)Waited another 15 minutes for a pickup group. No luck finding a
    > group after another 15 minutes.
    > 4) Gave up and ran to Thunderring Steepes to see if I could find a
    > pickup group for the Spindlecog helm or dwarven boots quest.
    > No luck finding a group in the Thunderring Steepes instance.
    > 5) Zoned into the second TS instance. Find a group camping
    > the spawn I need for the boots quest! Cool! Come to find out
    > one of the toons in the group is eight levels above me - meaning
    > I can't join their group and get credit. No luck finding a group.
    > 6) Run back to the crypt of betrayal to see if an AQ4 group
    > is forming. No luck finding a group.
    > 7) Log out after a couple of hours running around looking for
    > a group.
    >
    > I'm *this close* (holds figurative fingers an inch apart) to
    > canceling my eq2 account.
    >
    > I'm even playing a healer as my main since I thought it would be
    > easier to get pickup groups.
    >
    > Blizzard - save a place for me on one of your servers.

    Crypt of Betrayal is not exactly a hotspot for grouping. Mind you,
    second time I went there I got an AQ4 group, and we knocked that out,
    then proceded to crawl through CoB and had a great time. TS is one place
    I never have any trouble getting a group, not always able to find one for
    any one specific quest, but, I try to keep multiple quests going for the
    area I am in, so that killing most anything there will advance at least
    one quest. Aside from that, I also do a lot of writs there, all soloable
    stuff, including the group encounter gnolls. In fact, I soloed almost
    all of AQ5 now, just have the swarm beetles to go, and they just are too
    large a group for me to solo. Generally, if I put LFG up, I get an
    invite within 5 minutes maximum. I don't always accept blindly, but,
    finding a group is really not a problem, if you go to a popular zone. If
    you insist on going to a zone where almost noone goes, then, finding a
    group will indeed be difficult.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 24 Dwarven Mystic, 21 Sage
    Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 19 Craftsman
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote in news:1108045062.929025.168900
    @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > That may be in part because of the devs changes to make the game more
    > 'solo friendly'. Now, many people are soloing yellows, oranges and the
    > new 'enraged' mobs instead of grouping, so in the end it hurts the
    > people who like to group (and which is the base of the EQ population)
    > because it gets harder to form groups, and it's a domino effect, if you
    > have a group of 2 trying to get more, since you have to wait longer,
    > the members already there get bored and decide to go solo.
    > Luckily I'm in a guild where everyone is about my level (actually I was
    > much higher but created a new toon just so I could play with them)
    > I feel for you man, I heard the news about them trying to make the game
    > more 'solo friendly', and knew it would hurt the guildless
    > 'non-soloers' players

    Soloing is still a lot less efficient than grouping, not to mention,
    usually not as much fun. I do solo a lot, but, if a group comes along
    that is doing the same quests I am doing, I am always happy to join up
    with them.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 24 Dwarven Mystic, 21 Sage
    Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 19 Craftsman
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    An eerie voice echoes across the wastes...

    "Join a guild, Luuuke....."
    Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
    "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
    once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
    http://www.mrlizard.com

    wolfing1@yahoo.com writes:

    > That may be in part because of the devs changes to make the game more
    > 'solo friendly'. Now, many people are soloing yellows, oranges and the
    > new 'enraged' mobs instead of grouping, so in the end it hurts the
    > people who like to group (and which is the base of the EQ population)
    > because it gets harder to form groups, and it's a domino effect, if you
    > have a group of 2 trying to get more, since you have to wait longer,
    > the members already there get bored and decide to go solo.

    They'd be better served by going duoing something instead - a group of
    two is a lot more powerful than a group of one, even if they're not an
    optimal duo they should be able to take down things they can't take
    solo.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "emolsen" <emolsen@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > 1) Logged in, and went to the Crypt of Betrayal to see if I could get
    > into
    > a pickup group to do Armor Quest 4. No luck finding a group.
    > 2) While waiting for somebody to show up for AQ4, I decide to
    > try to solo the blue con mobs I need for the quest. No luck
    > soloing them since Sony instituted the anti-soloing nerfs.
    > 3)Waited another 15 minutes for a pickup group. No luck finding a
    > group after another 15 minutes.
    > 4) Gave up and ran to Thunderring Steepes to see if I could find a
    > pickup group for the Spindlecog helm or dwarven boots quest.
    > No luck finding a group in the Thunderring Steepes instance.
    > 5) Zoned into the second TS instance. Find a group camping
    > the spawn I need for the boots quest! Cool! Come to find out
    > one of the toons in the group is eight levels above me - meaning
    > I can't join their group and get credit. No luck finding a group.
    > 6) Run back to the crypt of betrayal to see if an AQ4 group
    > is forming. No luck finding a group.
    > 7) Log out after a couple of hours running around looking for
    > a group.
    >
    > I'm *this close* (holds figurative fingers an inch apart) to canceling
    > my eq2 account.
    >
    > I'm even playing a healer as my main since I thought it would be easier to
    > get pickup groups.
    >
    > Blizzard - save a place for me on one of your servers.

    Blizzard have stopped selliung new copies until they resolve their server
    problems.
    Good luck finding a copy.
    What did you expect from SOE? A solo friendly environment?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Graeme Faelban wrote:
    > Crypt of Betrayal is not exactly a hotspot for grouping. Mind you,
    > second time I went there I got an AQ4 group, and we knocked that out,

    > then proceded to crawl through CoB and had a great time. TS is one
    place
    > I never have any trouble getting a group, not always able to find one
    for
    > any one specific quest, but, I try to keep multiple quests going for
    the
    > area I am in, so that killing most anything there will advance at
    least
    > one quest. Aside from that, I also do a lot of writs there, all
    soloable
    > stuff, including the group encounter gnolls. In fact, I soloed
    almost
    > all of AQ5 now, just have the swarm beetles to go, and they just are
    too
    > large a group for me to solo. Generally, if I put LFG up, I get an
    > invite within 5 minutes maximum. I don't always accept blindly, but,

    > finding a group is really not a problem, if you go to a popular zone.
    If
    > you insist on going to a zone where almost noone goes, then, finding
    > group will indeed be difficult.

    I agree with what Graeme said... if you want a group, there are certain
    zones you avoid. I don't know how it is on your server, or if CoB is
    the same as ED, but ED is completely empty except for people farming
    palladium torques or doing AQ4. It might be easier to find a group
    doing AQ3, help them out, then move on to 4 when it is completed.

    There are just certain zones you don't go LFG in and expect an invite
    though. People assume you want to stay in that zone if it is a higher
    one than they are currently in. If you never want to get a group,
    throw up LFG while in LS (two people there last night), PF (groups
    generally form before making the trek), or ED (bypassed except for
    torques or AQ4).
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Graeme Faelban wrote:
    > Palladium torques drop off mobs? I had one made up from the one lone

    > Palladium cluster I have ever mined.

    I believe the ones you loot do not have any stats. I stupidly dropped
    the ones I got at a vendor because statless generally means vendor
    loot. Turns out that they do work for the Glowing Black Stone quest,
    and sell for a ton of coin.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "scritchy" <scritchy@gmail.com> wrote in news:1108132748.281532.143980
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Graeme Faelban wrote:
    >> Crypt of Betrayal is not exactly a hotspot for grouping. Mind you,
    >> second time I went there I got an AQ4 group, and we knocked that out,
    >
    >> then proceded to crawl through CoB and had a great time. TS is one
    >> place I never have any trouble getting a group, not always able to
    >> find one for any one specific quest, but, I try to keep multiple
    >> quests going for the area I am in, so that killing most anything there
    >> will advance at least one quest. Aside from that, I also do a lot of
    >> writs there, all soloable stuff, including the group encounter gnolls.
    >> In fact, I soloed almost all of AQ5 now, just have the swarm beetles
    >> to go, and they just are too large a group for me to solo. Generally,
    >> if I put LFG up, I get an invite within 5 minutes maximum. I don't
    >> always accept blindly, but,
    >
    >> finding a group is really not a problem, if you go to a popular zone.
    >> If you insist on going to a zone where almost noone goes, then,
    >> finding a group will indeed be difficult.
    >
    > I agree with what Graeme said... if you want a group, there are certain
    > zones you avoid. I don't know how it is on your server, or if CoB is
    > the same as ED, but ED is completely empty except for people farming
    > palladium torques or doing AQ4. It might be easier to find a group
    > doing AQ3, help them out, then move on to 4 when it is completed.
    >
    > There are just certain zones you don't go LFG in and expect an invite
    > though. People assume you want to stay in that zone if it is a higher
    > one than they are currently in. If you never want to get a group,
    > throw up LFG while in LS (two people there last night), PF (groups
    > generally form before making the trek), or ED (bypassed except for
    > torques or AQ4).

    Palladium torques drop off mobs? I had one made up from the one lone
    Palladium cluster I have ever mined.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 24 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
    Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 19 Craftsman
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "scritchy" <scritchy@gmail.com> wrote in news:1108139495.000925.111290
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Graeme Faelban wrote:
    >> Palladium torques drop off mobs? I had one made up from the one lone
    >
    >> Palladium cluster I have ever mined.
    >
    > I believe the ones you loot do not have any stats. I stupidly dropped
    > the ones I got at a vendor because statless generally means vendor
    > loot. Turns out that they do work for the Glowing Black Stone quest,
    > and sell for a ton of coin.

    Nice to know that they work too. As I understand it, I can probably make a
    nice chunk of change renting mine out for the quest. I do plan on not
    attuning it so that at the very least guildies can use it to complete the
    quest. Not sure yet about risking it by renting it out to strangers.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 24 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
    Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 19 Craftsman
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 06:38:43 GMT, "Vladesch"
    > <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote:
    >
    >>Blizzard have stopped selliung new copies until they resolve their
    >>server problems.
    >
    > Define "Blizzard" - it seems to me it's just a name, now. The
    > employees who made Blizzard a successful company are all gone.
    > Replaced by random new hires.
    >
    >>Good luck finding a copy.
    >
    > Of the cartoon game? I saw a bunch down at Target a day or two ago.
    > You act like the game is in demand or something :p

    Actually they did stop selling them for about two weeks, but restarted
    recently. I don't know if it was due to server problems or not, they may
    have just needed another print run. By all accounts, it is selling like
    hotcakes.

    --
    The Soliphist asks...
    What assertion do you make to validate your existence?

    They were out of stock for awhile because Blizzard did not want to release
    anymore copies due to server problems. They underestimated the popularity
    of the game which caused the servers to be unstable. They had to double
    their servers the first few days to accomodate the population. From 44
    servers to 88 I believe. So there were misc. things that needed to be fix.

    Yes, it was in demand. =D

    "The Soliphist" <fatmanlittleboy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 06:38:43 GMT, "Vladesch"
    > > <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Blizzard have stopped selliung new copies until they resolve their
    > >>server problems.
    > >
    > > Define "Blizzard" - it seems to me it's just a name, now. The
    > > employees who made Blizzard a successful company are all gone.
    > > Replaced by random new hires.
    > >
    > >>Good luck finding a copy.
    > >
    > > Of the cartoon game? I saw a bunch down at Target a day or two ago.
    > > You act like the game is in demand or something :p
    >

    > Actually they did stop selling them for about two weeks, but restarted
    > recently. I don't know if it was due to server problems or not, they may
    > have just needed another print run. By all accounts, it is selling like
    > hotcakes.
    >
    > --
    > The Soliphist asks...
    > What assertion do you make to validate your existence?

Games Video Games