Diablo III outdated?

superstew24

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I loved Diablo II and spent many moons looting, exploring, leveling up, and doing it all over again. At first I was very excited about Diablo III and all news associated with it. Now, it dawns on me that this game seems a little dated in the wake of Skyrim, The Witcher 2, and other really interactive RPGs. It definately looks like an improvement on Diablo II, but is it enough? I think we are beyond just mindless slaying and hunting for treasure. Thoughts?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I don't think it's that dungeon crawling hack and slash games are necessarily dated, but Torchlight 2 looks infinitely more promising in the genre. D3 seems like a market research vehicle for blizzard to explore alternative revenue means and eventually incorporate them into Titan if they're successful. The game itself is not very impressive =/.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

So true ... =/

dragon199

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
skyrim and witcher 2 are third person games
diablo has birds eye view

i think torchlight already revealed that mindless slaying of monsters was still fun

i have not played the beta but if there is no skill tree and online is required then these are the only things that will cause people to lose interest

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Sacred was like Diablo II, loved it, Sacred 2 also, Fate, Fate 2, Daggerfall and Morrowind... But Diablo III has been in development stages for years, way before even Oblivion and Elder Scrolls has been improving on First Person/Third person view for a LOOONNGG time. (I still have an original copy of Elder Scrolls Arena on 3 1/2" Floppy) this game along with original AD&D games that got me into Diablo in the first place. Will still buy it, it is something that I passed at least 1500 Hours playing so I will continue to play, even if Skyrim makes me drool when I play, HAHAHA

Even when Diablo I and II were released, there was Skyrim type games. They aren't really the same genre.

Frankly, I think we should go back to the roots of gaming a little more. Simple mindless games are a lot more fun than dev's realize. Look at Angry Birds as an example.

superstew24

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
You have a good point. Sometimes games are so complicated and detailed that to complete the game seems overwhelming. I was just thinking about great leaps in series such as GTA II to GTA III or Fallout 2 to Fallout 3. I'm just hoping it's going to be more than a Titan Quest (exaclty like Diablo II but better graphics). Maybe I just need to be expected a simpler, fun game.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
One of the most indicative facts of where Blizzard stands these days, is that Diablo 3 has been in production for almost a decade, and the only two real innovations that the game has seen has been online-only DRM a la standard for Blizzard these days, and an auction house that utilizes real money of which Blizzard skims a percentage for themselves.

Cannot stress how much better Torchlight 2 is looking.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

I wonder how many people still even know what AD&D is/was? I used to play the real AD&D before they were video games. It was fun because if you had the modules you already knew where the good items were located since the video games just copy and pasted from the modules.

As to Diablo 3, I guess I might to try if my brothers do.

About a year ago, I was at a customers home and noticed things like Chainmail and flails decorating the home. The husband and wife even had a AD&D board setup for table top AD&D. That was the first I had seen people who played pin and paper AD&D in about 20 years.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I still have the original D&D (Not advanced) box sets, plus the original print AD&D hard cover role playing books with dice (Also still have Dragonlance, Palladium, Rifts, Recon, TMNT, Heroes unlimited and many more role playing books). But yeah, sometimes we just need to play mindless, less complicated games with less story and just simple hack and slash. I like simple sometimes, other times I like to figure stuff out and really get into a story.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

I also played some of the AD&D board games. But wasn't it great when the pc game Pool of Radiance came out back in the late 80's? Then the Eye of the Beholder series.
Dave

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I literally have in my hands All 12 Forgotten Realms Titles in a 4cd collector's edition.... as it says on the case, it has Pool Of Radiance, Curse Of The Azure Bonds, Secret Of The Silver Blades, Pool Of Darkness and Hillsfar on 1 disc, Eye Of The Beholder 1,2 and 3 plus Special Demo of Blood & Magic on 2nd disc, Dungeon Hack, Gateway To The Savage Frontier and Treasures Of The Savage Frontier on 3rd disc, last disc has Menzoberranzan and that one was my favorite.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

Thats exactly the game I was referring to when I said you could use the modules as cheat guides!

Sorry I totally hijacked this threat!

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I played the DB3 beta so far it seems like a nice game. But, to me it seemed very much like a one time and done game. I did barbarian,necro,demon hunter. very fun I do say. plus the talent system is nice although it's very uncustomizable. you get your spells and are locked to certain ones in certain places as far as what I've figure out so far. But, it is still an outdated game even though it's not released yet. the graphics and such nothing was at all special. The style very much like every game. kill *** get gear kill more ***. beat bosses etc etc. But, that's what we all love to do kill stuff =)
what makes game different is how things die and or are killed.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
You guys should check a new awesome game that it's in development, called Path of Exile, right now being in Closed Beta ( will open in around 1 or 2 months )

It has the hack&slash&loot mechanics, with some twists, and awesome dark modern graphics. I think it actually looks much better than Diablo III itself.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

I think this one has the chance of becoming the best game of the genre (so far)

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

What people need to realise is the same team that made the first 2 diablo's are the team that made torchlight 1 & 2, that is why those games are so good, and feel so much like diablo.

i am still playing torchlight over diablo 3 right now, im not ready to shell out $59.99 for a game that i can get just as much quality and fun out of a game that costs $14.99 (or free with Torchlight 2 pre-order).

tyler225

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
are you kidding?
there miost definitly is an improvement and yes it is enough?
ok yes it might be too similiar in ways of the whole hack and slash side of things but isnt that what diablo is made for?
and im sure d2 doesnt have all those eye popping graphical new character classes?
and the hack and slash is even better now then ever before thanks to blizzard?
personally im thanking them for continuing on with the set?
but arent we all?
there is no way you can put any diablo game down like that.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

why not put it down? yes it may be a good game, but its not new or fresh, its the same idea wrapped in 3D graphics and deep fried in in new skills/classes/story.

D2 wasn't fresh or new either. The original one was the only one that could claim that. Not everything has to be innovative. As long as you can make it fun, it doesn't matter. Blizzard has never been a company that innovates anyways. They prefer to polish old ideas.