Alright bout to make a decision and I need some advice

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I currently have a ps3 (no intention of getting rid of that really). I'm between getting a new 360 and upgrading my PC for PC gaming. My only thing is I'm doing some research and from what I've been seeing with most of the games i want on PC, steam or some other random service is needed to actually play the game. When I say some rand service I don't mean like starcraft 2 and .battle.net(That's something understood as needed). I'm going to be honest from what I've read about steam I simply don't like it. I'm the type of person who likes to sell their games once I'm done with them. I don't like have to log on to some server every now and then to update a service I don't really plan on using for an offline game. One case I'm thinking of is ES5 Skyrim. I love that I can mod the game to my liking but I hate having to log on to steam just to make the thing work. I digress, my major thing is that I don't want to jump in hastily. Right now I just want to get some other opinions, perhaps I'm letting some of the negatives I've read about steam influence me or maybe not( a lot of what I'm seeing appear to be some ineffective means of dealing with piracy etc). A bit of background info is that to upgrade my PC the bar minimum cost would be <= $130, I just need to get a new gfx card and an extra 4gbs of ram(I currently have 4gbs). And of course with the 360 I need to spend $250 on the console + games + live.

P.S. By no means do I plan on starting some kinda war over which is better. After making the mistake of getting a wii :pfff: I REALLY want to get as many outside opinions and research under my belt before making a decision. If I've made a comment in error please correct me.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Unless you want to play Xbox exclusives, of which there aren't many anymore (Halo essentially), no reason to buy a second console really. You would be better off saving your cash and upgrading your PC.

Xbox doesn't really have anything to offer that PS3 doesn't have aside from just a couple of mediocre exclusive titles (not that PS3's exclusives are any better). Only reason I can even see for owning a console anymore is access to more fighting games, in which case you only need one console or the other.

well for me the most prominent exclusives were gears of war and uncharted series.

Op, one thing that confuses me in your post is you're ok with battle.net but not ok with steam? Steam is a lot less overbearing that battle.net.

Lets say Skyrim vs starcraft2 = skyrim can run in offline mode while SC2 cannot. As for reselling your games, sorry, PC gave up that practice some 5+ years ago. You should have jumped in back in the days of Starcraft 1.

The advantage of steam really comes into play nicely with games like dota2 for example, even though it's still in beta, the game gets rather frequent updates, with dota 1 you had to do the downloading manually for every map update the problem was that you only found out once you couldn't join a game or got kicked for starting a download. Steam does it all for you, the only thing required for you is to log in and hit play button, if it's downloading the update at that same moment it will let you know.

anyway, long pointless rant isn't very useful. Point is, unless you really feel that you're missing out on something by not having xbox over ps3 that's a decent consideration, but otherwise you would do well to invest into some good pc games.

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Ohhh, my bad I thought battle.net was just a server for SC2. I guess I'll look into steam a bit more. Truth be told I had a 360 once, i got bored with it and why I want it back I don't know. Casualcolors said it best, for few the exclusives left on the 360 there aren't many I care to play. Halo got boring after reach, GoW was only fun to me for the horde mode, and that's about all. Where as PS3 has the soul series(let's be honest, dark souls was better off as a PS3 exclusive), uncharted, LBP is actually fun once you sit there and play, ratchet and clank series is freaking hilarious, then i have persona 5 to look forward to. The Ps3 has a pretty fun handheld to work with in the vita... So pretty much I'm just deciding whether or not I want to deal with steam. Maybe I'll just do the PC exclusives in that case.