PIII 450 @ 504. Any suggestions?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got my PIII 450 to get to 540 MHz but putting the FSB up to 112. When I try 133 it freezes at post. I do only have PC100 memory.
I'd like to get to 600 or 650 like I've seen others do but on my old Tekram mother board I'm not sure if it can handle it. I do have only PC100 memory in it so I'm thinking I need some PC133 and then it might go. What do you guys think?

G

lucky bastard, doesnt have a piece of sh*t mobo with a crappy clock generator :eek:).... is this where the tape/nail polish applies to up the cpu voltage as well? (or maybe he doesnt have a katmai??)

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

Your major problem of reaching 600MHz with 450MHz processors is really two-fold.

1) Will your current products hold up to it? eg: RAM running at 133 rather than 100 or 112 which it is currently at. Have you upgraded the cpu coolers (including the cache).

2) Your multipler/divider ratio. Most likely you are running a mainboard with a BX chipset (or something similar from via) The BX chipset, without modification, will only support bus dividers of 3 to get a PCI bus speed of 33MHz. If you run your system bus at 133, then your PCI bus speed will be about 45MHz and your AGP at about 90MHz. waaaaayyyyy outside spec. Barely any cards will function at that tolerance. Also your on board IDE (which is a PCI device) is running faster and will almost certainly fail.

Your system might POST at 600MHz from 450MHz cpus, but windows is VERY unlikely to actually run.

I speak of this from experience. I have an EPoX mainboard, dual processor with two 450MHz P3 cpus in it. When i first got it I was immediately upgraded the HSF on the cpus and put the bus speed at 112 (same as you), so i now have two processors running at 504MHz. The system runs PERFECTLY stable. I decided to be reckless and tried for 600MHz (bus speed of 133MHz). The system POST'ed... fantastic i thought. Windows started to boot, even better i thought. When my hard disk started thrashing and windows hadn't loaded in 5 minutes i thought something had to be wrong, so i dropped the cpu speeds back down to 450MHz just for safe keeping. Booted up again, system POST'ed, but windows wanted to scan disk on boot.

Took about 30 minutes to scan disk, and then i had to end up doing a system re-install because it just wouldn't fire up cleanly.

I have PC133 ram in my system, so i'm guessing the fact that it freezes at POST is a ram issue, but don't think that that will fix all your problems.

Just to let you know from my experience.

G

I have overclocked a 450 @ 558 with default voltage, no extra cooling and Pc100, set the memory timings to a higher value.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

i have a p3 450 katmai at 600 133 fsb on an asus p2b and the pci is at 33 the bx chip has a 1/4 divider for the pci bus built into the chip, the problem is a lot of motherboard manufacturers decided not to enable this in their bios,so it would depend on the motherboard bios. but at the same time the agp runs at 89 with only a 2/3 divider, so don't say it is not possible when you just don't know what your talking about.