Laggy when it shouldn't be...

kyle_iv

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hey,

I had an old machine. Had windows XP Pro x64, GTX550 TI DirectCU Top x2 SLI, and a athlon X2 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram 800MHZ and GTA ran at like 25-30 fps just about maxed out on specs. Now I built a new machine. I have the same graphics cards, I am using Windows 7 Pro x64, 16GB Ram 1600MHz, AMD FX 6100 - 6 Core Processor, and that's it. With this new build I get only around 20 FPS after about 10 minutes of playing. When it just starts up I am lucky if I even get 10FPS. I am also using a Crosshair V Formula Motherboard. My old one was a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe. What can I do to make GTA run faster. I also tried on Fallout New Vegas. Same thing.

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
Fallout is a easy to run game like Skyrim ,

i played high fps on my old c2d e6600. you should not have anyproblems, unless there is a driver issue,

if u have sli and the 550 make sure u manually download the latest drivers. do not rely on windows update.

let me know if this works

vbright

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
If i may suggest something, I would either OC your CPU or get a faster quad core CPU, your GPU is perfectly fine. If you decide to OC get a good CPU Cooler (Air Cooler is fine). The i5 2500k quad core out performs the AMD FX series both 6 and 8 core. Not saying they are bad CPU's they work great for multitasking but are not the best for gaming.

DM186

Splendid
What is your PSU brand and watts? Are you checking your temps? I have two 550 Ti's in SLI and I don't have lags of any kind. Now I do know when I up dated my drivers, it set off a bomb.

That is the best way I can subscribe it. Lags, crash to desktops, BSOD, internet explorer stop functioning, things like that. So I ran a driver sweeper then I down loaded an earlier driver the 280.26.

Now it works fine. But that might not be your case. What speed do you have your 550's at, the core, shader, and memory clocks? If you get back to me I might be able to help you.

kyle_iv

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I have an Antec current gamer PSU 900 Watt. Right now I am using the latest driver. In Asus smart doctor it says the Vcore is 1.137, the Engine is 1004, Memory is at 4230MHz, and the Processor is at 2008MHz. Its also an Asus card. The card is also O.C. a little bit. But I have tried without O.C. and I get same results.

Also I can get one card to work only if I reinstall the drivers each time. If I restart the computer and go to play GTA it will lag like hell. But if I close it, do an Express install of the drivers(the current ones) it will let me play optimally like 40+ frames on maxed out setting. Even when I'm using more resources then I have, 1059 / 987 MB.

Also I believe my temps are fine, when I'm under full load my processor is at around 42C and one of the cards solo is at 46C. It goes up to around 55-60C sometimes if my side fan not on(one that is directly facing at the graphics card)

DM186

Splendid
These are what my clocks are set at. Core = 951mhz, Shader = 1902mhz, Memory = 2178. I also use MSI Afterburner to set my cards to those settings plus monitor my temps.

Also I can watch my GPU useage. Try rolling your drivers back for the cards They might be use to the old ones. Here is a link to the nVidia old drivers. Also trying using MSI Afterburner.

It might take you some time to try the older drivers, but start with one I told you about. And MSI afterburner will give you a second opinion. And two others Mem test and bench mark to put you system under stress.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/Afterburner%20User%20Manual.pdf

http://www.memtest.org/

http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/

let me guess you didnt clean install windows when you replaced the cpu with a new 1...
TIP: always either fresh install or repair install when you swap out a major component like a cpu/motherboard or gfx card... reason? the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) it creates a hardware profile for windows at install so windows can load the relevant drivers for that configuration. if you then change the hardware. the original drivers are loaded regardless of whether there needed or not. this will result in the cpu not being fully recognized and the correct driver for it wont be loaded until you renew the hal and that can be done 3 ways... fresh install/ repair install or replacing the hal which sounds easy but its not always...

kyle_iv

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
No, I did. I did a fresh install onto a HDD. I realized when I got 2 Intel 520 series 480GB put them in RAID 0 and everything started to work fine. I probably had a corruption in the registry something like that.

DM186

Splendid
That is great news and thank you for sharing your fix and letting us know how things have turned out. Not to may people do that. So a lot of the time we are left with were we able to help or not. Good luck to you and have fun gaming.