Increasing FSB

Zenthar

Distinguished
I don't know much about overclocking, but I would like to know if FSB overclocking generates a lot more heat. I don't want to overclock the speed of my CPU, just the FSB (i don't even know if this is a contradiction haha).

What I am trying to do it to get the best out of my system without having to add extra fans, any suggestions.

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well this will depend on the cpu that you use if you use a PIII then by increasing the fsb you will overclock the cpu but if you use an amd Tbird/duron you can unlock the cpu's via the L1 bridges and lower the multiplier and up the fsb, also note that if you have a kt133 chipset that the max fsb is about 112mhz but the kt133a will do 133+ easily (looks to max at 145 range).

SANDMAN

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh yea, the increase would be noticeable. From what I can see, most of the performance from the DDR boards is the higher FSB. Right now the KT133A mobos are the bestbuy because DDR will only make a noticeable difference when CPU speeds reach 2 gigs or so. So if your game, then go ahead and grab an A7V133, you won't regret it. I only wish I could get one, oh well. Goodluck, Laterz.

"I yam what I yam!"

G

As Diemos mentioned DDR is not available on most motherboards yet but should become available soon, They are also very expensive right now. I went for a PC133 motherboard - I will get more value of money and there will be boards that support both the DDR and the PC133 memory.