Alpha fans and noise

Pontifex

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
I'm going to get an alpha PAL6035, but I was wondering what fan I should get on it. I've seen it with the delta, but as I want the least noise possible, I've rounded it down to the Sanyo Denki and the Sunon (not sure on the models). I've not found any comparitive mention of these two configurations. thanks

----------------

Save me jebus!

Pontifex

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Well from the toms article about the HSF's, the 66 only comes up one degree cooler, but the 6035 is 3 dB quieter... and since dB is on a log scale, I went for the 6035. Also its cheaper.
--------------

Save me jebus!

G

I use the PAL6035 with the Sunon 30cfm fan. I ordered it from www.inflowdirect.com. I had previously ordered and run a Global Win FOP38 with the Delta fan. No I know from my own experience that the only reason the FOP38 cools well is because of the massive fan, as the heatsink with a smaller fan increases the temps. I mounted the Delta Fan to the Alpha PAL6035 just to see if a difference would be seen over the Sunon 30cfm fan. The temps ran about 2C-4C cooler over the Sunon fan under all conditions. Cools down quicker after full load runs, etc... I must say though that the Delta is very loud. I can't stand it in my house. If I had a my server in a separate room that had the door closed all the time I would probably use it, but the noise of the high pitch fan irritates me and others around. I use the Sunon 30cfm fan all the time now. I have a 1.2Ghz in which I vary the speed on from 1Ghz to 1.4Ghz, and under full load at 1.4Ghz the temps never get above 51C, usually 48C is average temp for full load. The Global Win FOP38 would not even do this well with the Delta fan. The Sunon fan on the heatsink is quiter than the fan inside the power supply and therefore I never hear it.

TRENDING THREADS