Artic-Silver compound?

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi people,

I'm wondering about the best way to apply Artic-Silver thermal compound to a processor's die and heatsink/cooler.
Does the Artic-silver conduct heat better than cast aluminum? I realize that it's mainly to fill in the tiny gaps between the sink and the die (transferring alot more heat that way), but if it's a better conductor than the aluminum itself, then wouldn't it be a good idea to spread a thin layer of 'silver' over most of the heatsink's bottom?
Then maybe a drop more where the 'sink' contacts the die?
If it does conduct heat better than the heat can be conducted through the cast aluminum, then the heat would be transferred to a larger portion of the heatsink's area, resulting in quicker dissipation of heat..
I'd like to hear your opinions...
Phil

p.s. I know you've answered these questions too many times to count, but I can never seem to find the answers I'm looking for without a new post. Thanks...

Zenthar

Distinguished
Indeed, solid silver do conduct heat better than aluminium and copper, but here we are talking about thermal paste. Solid aluminium is better (copper is even better, but $$$) than thermal pastes of any kind, but the reason why we use it is that since it's silver it conducts heat better than any other paste and A LOT better than the air space it replaces.

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
An answer to your question about application of the paste. This method is reccomended for any kind of thermal paste. First of all make sure everything is clean. I don't mean take paper towel and wipe it off, I'm talking about a Q-tip and alcohol. After the core and hsf are clean don't touch the two contact surfaces, the oil off your hands will carbonize and create a real problem. Next, put a very small drop (I can't emphasize this enough, small) of paste on the core (and the core alone) and spread it out with a razorblade. Try to get as even a coat as possible. Don't worry about getting it too thin because you can't. Next do the same to the spot on the hsf where the core will contact. Voila, you're done. Apply the hsf as you would normally. This process takes time but is worth it. Even the best heatsink performs like crap if its not installed properly. Enjoy, Laterz.

"I yam what I yam!"

G

Does anyone know a good source of paste available in the UK?

G

ok... but when I screw it up, and use too much, how do I clean up the mess? Alcohol and Qtips only smear it around....

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well Denver, all I can say is be patient. Start with a dry Q-tip to get all the big stuff, then use alchohol to clean the rest. It took me about 45 minutes to clean my tbird after I overdosed it on the first go. Now I know not to use so much. Seriously, use the metod above and you can't go wrong. Goodluck, Laterz.

"I yam what I yam!"

G

The alcohol that you said, is it the same as Nail Polish Remover alcohol..can I use that? And this is kinda dumb but what's Qtip?

G

qtips are those little sticks with cotton swabs on the end..... you're not supposed to stick them in your ears, but everyone does.... but I dated this girl once who......................

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Alcohol (like rubbing alcohol) not Acetone (nail polish remover). You can dump rubbing alcohol all over your motherboard, dry it off, and use it. I dare you to try that with Acetone!

Suicide is painless...........

G

Oh I think i know those qtip, aren't they use for wiping out inside ear or something? ;)