Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming Keyboard after transition from console?

Last response: in Video Games
April 7, 2012 8:58:56 AM

Not sure if this is the right spot, but thought it seemed more relevant here:

I've just recently within the past week and a half ago or so picked up SWTOR. To my unexpectedness, I'm absolutely in love. Its still going slow for me, as I'm normally just a console gamer. My roommate has been trying to get me to take full use of my custom built computer I bought from him for quite some time. I've never actually played an MMO, normally just console RPGs and Action-RPGs. (UNLESS YOU COUNT DIABLO 2 ) Well, after a short while of deciding to commit to 90 days of SWTOR and seeing where it went, I bought a new mouse (the Razer Naga). I honestly absolutely love it.

Along with a new mouse I bought a Cyber Snipa gaming pad for absolutely dirt cheap. I was assuming that the transition would be more comfortable from console to PC if there was a dedicated gaming platform for controls. I was wrong.. I got the pad for roughly 10$ so its not that big of a loss, but I was thinking that this pad would confirm/ deny the viability of the Steelseries Merc Stealth that I was anxious about. There are some similarities that have led me astray from this keyboard now and decided its time to "put on my big boy pants" and use the keyboard. I'm using a 15$ microsoft keyboard at the moment that is horrid. I've been wanting to upgrade for quite some time anyways.

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN:

I've done some research as far as what type of gaming keyboard would be the most suitable. I'm not quite sure which would be the best value. I have a range of spending from roughly $50 - $100. Below is a list that I have compiled that I've found to be the best value, but rather than taking the leap, anyone else have some input? I've read countless other forum and there has been some rather wide discretion concerning feedback. The keyboard will be primarily used for SWTOR as far as gaming goes. I am just reluctant to go full-out gaming mechanical keyboard for the sake of typing. I use CAD drafting quite a bit and type on my keys constantly. I poked around Best Buy earlier today and found the keys on the Razer Blackwidow to be rather enjoyable, but not sure how they would be to type on.

From my reading, the "brown" and "red" keys are better happy mediums between Black and Blue. I haven't quite committed fully to a mechanical keyboard, but it seems the most logical route. I do have a distinct love for backlit things (neon blue computer case, clear blue glowing xbox controller, new Razer Naga, and the Cyber Snipa pad). It shouldn't dissuade me, but I'm a sucker for flash :p 

Anyways, here's the list below that I've narrowed down. Please sell me on one or two so that I may maintain my sanity, and commit to a keyboard.

- Razer BlackWidow Stealth
- Tt eSPORTS CHALLENGER ULTIMATE
- ROCCAT Isku Illuminated
- Logitech G510
- Razer Anansi

I know its quite the list. I just have problems committing lol. I've seen countless others, but have been able to narrow it down to 5! (~pat on my own back) Slightly hierarchical listing.

Thanks for the input!
April 7, 2012 3:06:06 PM

Sorry if I missed this in your post, but do you require macro keys?

If not I highly recommend Leopold, or filco keyboards as well. I found the cherry browns to be the sweet spot for me. But this is a personal choice. I own a cherry brown tenkeyless Leopold. One day I think I'm going to pick up a cherry blue though to put next to my brown so I can use for straight up typing purposes. I play all types of games from FPS to RPGs.

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 7, 2012 3:17:27 PM

If you need macro keys and price is no object: Corsair K90
If you need macro keys and price is an issue: Microsoft Sidewinder X4
If you don't need macro keys and price is no object: Das Keyboard, Leopold as mentioned above, Ducky, Deck, Thermaltake mech, and Filco Majestouch are worth looking into (all are mechanical keyboards)
If you don't need macro keys but price is an issue: Microsoft Sidewinder X4 (yeah, it's the best budget keyboard around).

Avoid Razer and Roccat keyboards like leprosy. For every decent one that ships, 5 that would fail QC in any other company also ship.
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2012 3:53:48 PM

i never use the macro keys but i bought a cyborb v7 keyboard

i know its not a mechanical keyboard but i couldnt find one within my budget that had volume +/- keys and backlit

if you play at night with lights off (like me) having a keybaord with a backlight is nice
m
l
April 7, 2012 6:36:15 PM

if you like your naga id say get the lycosa. any key can be programed for macros, and it would match the naga. just pick it up from best buy in case you need to return it.
m
l
April 7, 2012 7:41:20 PM

I didn't like the lycosa. I owned one awhile back before I switched to mechanical. The keys wore off quickly and occasionally keys would get stuck. Again, razer QC issue.
m
l
April 7, 2012 9:03:46 PM

mines been going strong for a year. i think its a matter of luck getting a good one. i did return my first one because of a key sticking after one week of use, but this second one works great.
m
l
April 7, 2012 9:16:43 PM

SKAZ - I have seen that keyboard and have been really tempted just for the things I heard about the mechanical brown keys. But the lack of back lighting and even a few macros kind of led me astray. I can get a pretty sweet deal on a Razer BlackWidow Stealth Ultimate which has the same brown keys, so idk how those two compare.

CASUALCOLORS - I had the Sidewinder X4 on an early portion of the list I was narrowing from. But thought the X6 would be the better option anyways. I like the idea of moving the keypad to the other side, just not sure if you can re assign those keys. Also, I've had trouble finding good info on Roccat. They are a German brand (I think) and just new to the American gaming market. Have you had personal experience with them? The backlighting and mechanical all in one for a relative price makes them a good option. Keep you're advice in mind though.

TJOSBORNE - I really like the idea of the Lycosa, but all the feed back I've seen has been from Polar extreme to extreme. Either amazing or bad. I was talked from the Lycosa as an option to the Anansi seeing as the keyboard will be used primarily for MMO purposes.

I might be leaning towards the

Logitech 510
Tt eSPORTS CHALLENGER ULTIMATE
Razer Anansi
Roccat Isku

Try and pick from these as a better or worse option! :D 

m
l
April 7, 2012 9:37:42 PM

on newegg the Tt looks solid based on reviews. id say that or the roccat.
m
l
April 7, 2012 9:56:30 PM

Yeah, I haven't had many opinions in for the Tt brand in forums, but all the reviews I've seen shown alot of positives. Just think its not quite as common as most keyboards in the gaming area.
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
April 8, 2012 5:15:12 AM

jsmith825 said:
SKAZ - I have seen that keyboard and have been really tempted just for the things I heard about the mechanical brown keys. But the lack of back lighting and even a few macros kind of led me astray. I can get a pretty sweet deal on a Razer BlackWidow Stealth Ultimate which has the same brown keys, so idk how those two compare.

CASUALCOLORS - I had the Sidewinder X4 on an early portion of the list I was narrowing from. But thought the X6 would be the better option anyways. I like the idea of moving the keypad to the other side, just not sure if you can re assign those keys. Also, I've had trouble finding good info on Roccat. They are a German brand (I think) and just new to the American gaming market. Have you had personal experience with them? The backlighting and mechanical all in one for a relative price makes them a good option. Keep you're advice in mind though.

TJOSBORNE - I really like the idea of the Lycosa, but all the feed back I've seen has been from Polar extreme to extreme. Either amazing or bad. I was talked from the Lycosa as an option to the Anansi seeing as the keyboard will be used primarily for MMO purposes.

I might be leaning towards the

Logitech 510
Tt eSPORTS CHALLENGER ULTIMATE
Razer Anansi
Roccat Isku

Try and pick from these as a better or worse option! :D 

Roccat's mechanical is a rebrand of a very very poorly made mechanical board. The Isku is not a mechanical board at all by the way. It is membrane. The only high quality backlit mechanical keyboards have been Deck and a couple models of Ducky.

The TT mechanical keyboard has had overwhelmingly good feedback. I haven't used one myself, but I've never seen any consumer review that wasn't satisfied with it. They seem to be in the same league as Corsair's K60 and K90, where they're a company trying to market "gaming" mechanical keyboards and actually putting out a decent product (unlike Razer, who puts out a mechanical keyboard that was literally the worst keyboard I have ever used in my life).
April 8, 2012 5:19:43 AM

Best answer selected by jsmith825.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 8, 2012 8:57:43 AM

have a look at the nighthawk x8 and x9 and deck do a backlight model 2 all worth checking out on there utube vids.
m
l
!