Sign in with
Your question

My computer keeps forcing a shutdown for no reason

Last response: in Windows 7
October 11, 2010 1:55:41 PM

Hi everyone!

I am running windows 7 on my hp desktop. For some reason, when I load windows, after a few minutes, out of no where while I am using the computer, windows forces a a shutdown. If I can make it to press cancel, it will cancel the shutdown temporarily but then it will come back to shut down and the second time it won't even ask me, it will just force the shutdown. Sometimes when she's really cranky it won't even load windows. Like as soon as I type in my admin password, it forces the shutdown. It's driving me insane. I thought it had something to do with norton antivirus so i contacted them and they gave me norton antivirus 11 from 10 and that did not solve squat! I did run a system restore and i scan my comp for viruses but was not able to solve the problem. Can someone please help me.
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
October 11, 2010 3:57:28 PM

Flaky PSU or cpu overheating?
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 11, 2010 6:59:50 PM

What version of Windows are you using? The Release Candidate version has expired and will shut the system down in a manner similar to what you're describing. You can tell if you're using the RC version because there will be a version number displayed in the lower-right corner of the desktop background.
m
l
October 11, 2010 9:03:16 PM

I don't think it's an overheating problem becauseI haven't used it in days then returned to the computer tosee if I could fix the issue and immediately it shut down before I can even get to the login page.

I haven't tried booting it up in safe mode but I will try that next. However, even during safe mode it will shut down on me. Will this work?

Also I have no clue what version of windows I am using but could you tell me where exactly I can fnd this version number...will I find it in safe mode?

Lastly, norton told m that I had an error message 3047,53...does anyone have any idea what this error is? Somehow I think it's related to the shut downs
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 11, 2010 10:53:59 PM

If you don't see a version number in the lower right corner of your desktop background when you minimize all your windows, then you're using the release version, in which case the auto-shutdown you're experiencing wouldn't have anything to do with the RC version.

The other thing to check is to make sure that Windows is activated:

Start -> right-click "Computer", select "Properties".

Near the bottom of the right pane is a section that says "Windows activation". If it says "Windows is activated" just below that then you're OK. If not, then you need to click the "change product key" link and enter your license key to activate Windows.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2010 2:08:52 AM

[#0005ff]If you get time when you see a shutdown coming, hit the Windows key and R together and type shutdown -a in the box (including the space before the dash) then hit Enter.[/#000ff]

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2010 2:14:25 AM

If you have a full version of Windows and not a beta version then I would suspect a virus or Trojan. I know you have Norton on your computer but Norton has to be the worst anti-virus program going. Try downloading and running the free version of Malwarebytes anti virus this will work along side Norton ok.
m
l
October 12, 2010 3:04:51 AM

This is such an amazing community and I thank all the people who have responded to this thread.

I suspect it be a trojan or virus.

I have a legit version of windows 7, it came with my hp desktop computer, It also shut downs in safe mode.

I checked also if the windows is activated.

As soon as I come to enter my password for logging in (even for safe mode) it begins to shut down. The irony is sometimes i get more time and other times I dont. But easily within 2 mins if I make it to into windows, I am guaranteed a shut down. Sometimes if i can open other applications fast enough, I can postpone the shut down temporarily as windows will ask me to save the applications before it proceeds with shut down and i just choose to cancel the shut down. Although it works a few times, after that it wont even prompt me and forces the shut down.

I also tried typing windows key and r together and that has been quite successful for me. So far no shut downs and my wife is using the computer next to me as I write the message and it has been past 2 mins.

So saga can you please explain to me if this is a permanent fix, and what exactly did i do?

Why was the computer forcing shutdowns?

I will check the thread for your replies and keep you posted to see if she shuts down on me again

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2010 3:50:27 AM

jabriel said:

So saga can you please explain to me if this is a permanent fix, and what exactly did i do?

Far froma permanent fix - possibly the winlogon has been compromised by malware and your best bet is to run ComboFix which you can find at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com. Thoroughly read and understand the detailed instructions before use and also on screen as the process runs. Be on hand immediately to abort any shutdown while it's running - it is crucial it's not interrupted. In Windows 7 you need to right click on the downloaded ComboFix.exe file and scroll to RunAs Administrator. CFix will not work properly in Safe Mode.

Before doing any of the above, hit Windows and R and in the Open box, type cmd /k net user administrator active:yes and hit Enter then when the black form pops up, hit Enter again. It it refuses the instruction, type net user administrator {yourlogin} and then your password if you have one. If that's accepted run the first command again. That should enable the Adminisrtator account to be shown on the Welcome Screen so you can log in to that account and probably remain on uninterrupted.

m
l
October 12, 2010 4:06:04 AM

Okay your awesome thanks. And you are right it was far from being the fix. She started shutting down on me again. I will try your suggestion tomorrow morning after I get some sleep. I will keep you posted on the status.

Your help and guidance is most appreciated. Thanks a bunch to you and all the others.
m
l
October 12, 2010 5:19:31 PM

okay couple of new problems.

Number 1 I tried window r both options and it kept saying user not found?
Also I downloaded combofix.exe and it said my windows was incompataible? I have windows 7. I don't know what it meant by that?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2010 5:17:25 AM

jabriel said:
okay couple of new problems.

Number 1 I tried window r both options and it kept saying user not found?
Also I downloaded combofix.exe and it said my windows was incompataible? I have windows 7. I don't know what it meant by that?

[#0005ff]I thought it worked in Windows 7 so maybe you have the 64 bit version, in which case it can't work. That's a nuisance - you'll have to depend on MalwareBytes from http://www.malwarebytes.com to find the threats. Also, try the TDSSKiller from http://www.kaspersky.com.

I'm not quite with you on the Windows and R problem - that should bring up the Run box into which you type commands. Are you saying it doesn't work?
[/#000ff]

m
l
October 14, 2010 5:16:14 AM

okay i ran malwarebytes and it did not detect anything unfortunately.

I did however run kaspersky and it did find 5 malware and 1 virus. I am not sure if it disenfected them.

What I did was I went out and purchased te Aluratek Sata Hardrive Docking from best buy. I removed my hard drive from my desk top, placed it onto th Hardrive Dock and connected it via usb cable tomy laptop. I ran both Malwarebytes then later kaspersky.

Kaspersky did mention that it Quarantined the virus, but I am not sure if it disenfected. Anyways I removed the harddrive from the dock and connected back to my desktop to see if she was fixed and unfortunately to my demise she wasn't, still forcing the shut down.

I am running norton antivirus 11 on it now. Wil see if that works. If it does not work then I will disconnect my hard drive again and backup my files that I really need and format the crap out of her!

I also purchased a 2tb seagate portable hard drive to back my stuff up incase i need to back her up.
What do you think about my strategy?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 14, 2010 6:23:27 AM

jabriel said:
What do you think about my strategy?

Format and reinstall should do the trick so long as the issue isn't a hardware one and also that there isn't malware right at the heart of the matter - something ComboFix could have sorted if only it could work in 64 bit systems. As soon as the new system is in place and before you transfer your files back in, run all the scans again and see if you get any unscheuled shutdowns.
m
l
October 14, 2010 4:33:55 PM

I pray it is not an hardware issue, because i could have potentially voided my warranty when I opened the case. I wish I could have run comboFix as well. I will format her and keep you updated on her progress. I am almost 90% sure its a software problem.

Saga your help and guidance has been most appreciated through this whole process. May God Bless you.
m
l
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
October 14, 2010 5:45:12 PM

Combofix doesn't run on 64bit OS's. There is a malware guide in my signature that has a step by step guide to removing infections. Might be worth a peek.

m
l
October 15, 2010 5:27:40 AM

okay guys here's the deal..

I formatted her and ran the recovery. She got worse. She won't even complete the recovery anymore. She shuts off as soon as I start to run the freshly installed windows.

I a beginning to think that this is very much a hardware issue??? I cleaned her already witha blow off duster compressed air, and she looks like new. I can't seem to figure it out!

Its an HP Pavalion Elite e9260f. Anyone know what could now be the problem?

Any help and guidance concerning the matter would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2010 6:15:33 AM

jabriel said:

Any help and guidance concerning the matter would be greatly appreciated.

[#0005ff]The only surefire way to decide whether this is hardware or software is to try a different Operating System. There are various Linux systems which can run as a LiveCD without impacting on your hard disk at all so no changes will be made to your existing OS but if the LiveCD can run for half a day without making the computer shut down, then it isn't hardware.

You could Google and take your choice then download and burn a CD or you could go straight to http://www.pclinuxos.com and get a copy of my personal preference, PCLinuxOS. Contrary to popular myth, the system won't present you with a black screen awaiting comples code - you'll see a GUI which will remind you of Windows apart from the fact that it will work a lot better. :D 

[/#000ff]
m
l
October 15, 2010 10:46:45 AM

Hey Saga thanks for the prompt reply.
ok well suppose it's a software issue.. Shouldn't a format solve the issue?

Suppose its a hardware issue? Where do you suspect the problem is coming from?

I read up a little on found that it seems to be a common HP problem. Something to do with the fan and cpu.
Anythoughts on this one?

Thanks again.
m
l
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2010 11:16:51 AM

Yes, a fresh install should fix a software issue.

The most likely hardware cause, would be PSU or temps. A failing PSU is most likely. If you have a spare, or one you can borrow, that's an easy test.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2010 11:51:34 PM

unless the HDD is bad, a fresh install of windows.
m
l
October 16, 2010 5:57:27 AM

sending it back to HP boys,, she's still got warranty on her.
m
l
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2010 5:59:37 AM

That's by far the best option if it's under warranty.
m
l
October 16, 2010 6:54:49 AM

will keep you posted, they said for sure its a hardware issue...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2010 3:10:06 PM

hardware issue is where i was going that's why i asked about re-install and HDD's.
m
l
November 27, 2012 4:35:12 AM

I have the same problem as you. as long as I open my windows a search tab will open and type numbers and a player will open too then my computer will shutdown. I try formating my computer with xp but still it shutdown. I bring it to the store where I purchase it to let them fix it. fortunately when they open my computer it did not shutdown. They install a new windows and programs and it went well.

when I return home I connect everything and open my computer after few minutes it shutdown again. I'm going crazy. what would be any possible problem with this.....please help
m
l
April 13, 2013 9:37:40 PM

jabriel said:
Hi everyone!

I am running windows 7 on my hp desktop. For some reason, when I load windows, after a few minutes, out of no where while I am using the computer, windows forces a a shutdown. If I can make it to press cancel, it will cancel the shutdown temporarily but then it will come back to shut down and the second time it won't even ask me, it will just force the shutdown. Sometimes when she's really cranky it won't even load windows. Like as soon as I type in my admin password, it forces the shutdown. It's driving me insane. I thought it had something to do with norton antivirus so i contacted them and they gave me norton antivirus 11 from 10 and that did not solve squat! I did run a system restore and i scan my comp for viruses but was not able to solve the problem. Can someone please help me.

m
l
April 13, 2013 9:40:35 PM

Hi Gabriel,

Good morning to you.

1. You can format your C drive and install windows 7 newly. (or)
2. Download registry cleaner for full version and clean your registry.
m
l
May 13, 2013 2:02:14 PM

This was a shutdown virus to begin with, but may have damaged hardware later. I'm having the same issue, but no virus program that I've tried has helped. I'm on the infected computer now and the only way to keep it from shutting down is by holding down the arrow keys starting the moment you see the mouse arrow. Shutdown viruses (most anyway) initiate by any key "release" so if you don't release the initial key, it cannot shut down. If it shuts down anyway, then you do have a hardware issue, but otherwise, it's a virus. And it was annoying typing this one handed.

Correction... apparently I have a virus that after a certain time overrides other commands. It's not hardware, unless the virus wormed into the keyboard driver to trigger the shutdown command. There has to be a program out there that can find these buggers!
m
l
!