Very Weird stuttering occuring lately with Battlefield 3

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Asus Crosshair III Formula
ATI Radeon 5770 Series HD 1gb (OCed @ 950 and 1300mhz)
4 GBs of ram
1360x768 Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

I had Battlefield 3 ever since the release and i used to play it @ Ultra settings with shadows set to medium and Anti-aliasing (deffered) off, the game runs at 60-120 FPS but lately i started experiencing terrible random fps drops at least an hour into the game.

Additional information:

I don't have an antivirus
I have IObit game booster
I have IObit Advanced SystemCare
I don't have a firewall turned on

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Hope you noticed that my monitor is not full HD, besides i ran the game since october without problems.

No i don't.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I saw your resolution but that has more impact on your VRAM, which I wasn't talking about. Did your troubles start with the recent patch?

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

It started mainly the patch before this one but i was able to fix it by setting tesselation setting to use the application settings in the CCC but this patch i can't fix it no matter how hard i try.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Have you tried deleting and reinstalling drivers and not installing CCC? If on the off chance you don't have the issue after doing so, at least you would know it was some innocuous setting in CCC, and can abandon it for ATI Tray Tools instead (which is objectively speaking, pretty superior to CCC).

I still think your 4gb sys memory is suspect since your issues are occurring as time passes and not based on certain scenes, but that's just me. I'd give it a go with clean driver install and no CCC for starters to at least rule that out.

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I forgot to say that i just formatted my PC last week, and i do have ATT as well actually .

My virtual memory settings were reset after formatting can it be that? do i need to set them manually again?

if your getting a solid 60 fps then turn vsnc on this will stop any stutters. bf3 sends 60 packet data bursts a second so having more than 60 fps brings no advantage.
yes that right if the game sends 60 packets then if you have 60 fps the game will update every frame. if you have 120 solid the game will update every other frame so is another sweet spot but 75 means you will update irregularly and this can cause the game to lag by a small amount each time till it builds into a persistent stutter.
syncing the game is important if you want smooth play.
as for your vmem you set it to 1.5 your actual ram size. so 4 gigs= 6 gigs vram.
less than this and you can get messages like short on mem or some tasks wont complete. more than this you can get a performance hit.

ccc pannel should be set to default. make sure amd overdrive is unlocked and on.
make sure morphological filtering is off and everything else is default...
check to make sure theres no active game profile. if theres a bf3 profile for the ccc panel delet it or rename it and move it... this will ensure you only use the default settings for the gfx rather than 1 setup for best quality 60fps crossfire enabled system.

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

So while setting vmemory what should i put in minimum? 1.5 for example and maximum 6 gigs?

con310

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

4gig is fine for Bf3, maybe he should just try turning settings down to high? i mean a 5770 might be able to do some on ultra at the resolution but he didnt even list his cpu.

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

my bad

AMD Phenom II 3.4 GHz X4 965 BE.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Like I said in an earlier post, I pass 4gb of sys memory used (by over a gig and a half at times) when I run BF3 under any normal circumstance. So 4gb of system mem for BF3 is borderline to completely insufficient. The only reason to have 4gb memory on a gaming computer these days is if you're using 32-bit OS.

con310

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

4gb is not anywhere close to insufficient in BF3, you must have some other serious problems with your comp because 4gb should be fine.

and If you read the OP post he says that he has had the game since it came out and 4Gb never held him back

con310

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Its not the ram, 4gb is fine. If you were trying to run the game with everything on Ultra (including all the extra stuff) and with a really High resolution then yes then the ram would definitely be the case, but with a 1360x768 Monitor ? no way. i dont know you could try messing around with your settings see if it makes a difference. It just seems odd that you would play the game with 4gb fine and all of sudden its not enough.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

And if you read the rest of the thread you would see that he recently reformatted and lost his virtual mem settings around the same time these stutters started. And nothing is wrong with my computer lol. You're presumptuous and painfully wrong at the same time. BF3 has been the number one reason for people on 64 bit systems who had 4gb system memory to go up to at least 6gb.

In fact the only time I haven't read about 4gb memory causing direct capping issues with the game has been people on 32-bit OS's who just have their large-map performance gutted from the very beginning instead and don't even notice it until they do finally upgrade.

con310

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

None of this changes the fact that his game ran fine before on 4gb ram not to mention the insane amount of people play Bf3 with 4gb and have no problem what so ever, i dont know if i struck a nerve with you or why you would say im "presumptuous" but your wrong, he does not need to upgrade his ram and it is not the problem with his computer right now.

Also.. when i said "you must have some other serious problems with your comp" i was referring to anyone with 4gb of ram not you specifically.

You should definitely do some more research before you go and tell someone to upgrade there computer to fix something that is clearly not the problem.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Lol all I told him was that it is suspect and worth looking into. I never claimed that was exactly what was wrong with his computer, and you're being literally as abrasive as possible on a topic you're actually wrong about. The majority of people on 64bit systems with 4gb of ram actually have problems with BF3's multiplayer. I feel like maybe I hit a nerve by implying that 4gb of ram was insufficient. I'm not sure if maybe you can't afford another 4gb kit or if you're just prone to being sensitive, but I don't really care either. You're throwing out the fact that the game's stutters started around the same time as his reformat

While Hexit offered a lot of good advice, you haven't actually offered any aside from "turn the settings down" ignoring that he was already running on those settings without issues before. Congratulations on doing absolutely zero troubleshooting, rofl.

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I am gonna upgrade the rams as soon as i can anyway because 4 gigs is low i know but it still bothers me that the game was running fine after last patch :(.

con310

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

How am i throwing out the fact that he reformatted? if he reformatted and some settings got changed that would mean you are wrong(Which you already are completely) and adding more ram would not fix this problem and 4gb is not a problem with Bf3 to begin with so ya.

Dam man... why are you so insecure? this is an internet forum, do you not leave your house much or something or what? you seem to take this WAY to serious and I know for a fact I hit a nerve with you, your getting all bent out of shape over this...now your moving onto poor jokes because your wrong? lol good job buddy you have done nothing what so ever to help this guy other then telling him to dish out for more ram when its not the problem...i could have not posted anything and i would be doing more good then you are.

con310

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

you might as well for the price of ram now, still dont think that is your problem though.

Before you reformatted did you have windows 7 64 bit or 32?