Solved

Older games are costing plenty.

Tags:
  • Games
  • Handheld Device
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
April 7, 2012 10:57:50 PM

I have been looking at older console and some pc games. The prices can get ridiculous.

When did they start to climb? ther eseems to be a point when they skyrocketed.

I remember back in 2001-2003 it was somewhat of a joke to keep and try to buy outdated older PC, NES, SNES, Handheld devices, Even PS1 was being phased out not too long after.

I am aware of emulation, and I think it's been important to save some of these titles and the history.

Anyone have any ideas how to deal with the older media costing way too much? Some of it is starting to break down, and it should not be costing what it cost when come out, hundreds or thousands of dollars either. I like collectibles. I still have no ussues with selling what I did when I did in the early 2000's. |I started to collect stuff, then thought twice since it seemed this absuded situation would happen. Believe it or not I like many other people had a few titles that now are fetching $700+-$1000+. I still have no regrets though.

More about : older games costing plenty

April 8, 2012 2:58:41 AM

You can get the Atari and Activision Atari 2600 collections pretty cheap these days at half price books. They run on XP but not Win 7.
Dave
m
l
April 13, 2012 2:01:41 AM

Does anyone know what year the prices started to rise? And then start to spike up quickly?

I notice it on certain systems. Some systems, preferials, games, etc are not so expensive.

Stores that advertise selling collectibles do cost more than other methods to seek and find what's out there.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2012 2:28:35 AM

Games that are coveted in certain communities (like Marvel vs. Capcom 2 in the fighting game community) will always command the utmost premium if they're being sold in like-new condition. Same goes for 100% functioning original consoles, particularly ones that never had very successful sales in the region you're purchasing in. Dreamcast, Neo Geo CD, 3DO and such fall into that category.
m
l
April 13, 2012 2:54:25 AM

Saw a 3DO for a great price not too long ago. I've been watching and keeping my eyes open.

I know what you're saying. for those types of items, I am still seeing lots of product even with the demand: this is the disconnect.
m
l
April 13, 2012 3:07:25 AM

SyncroScales said:
Saw a 3DO for a great price not too long ago. I've been watching and keeping my eyes open.

I know what you're saying. for those types of items, I am still seeing lots of product even with the demand: this is the disconnect.

Well, it seems like there are a lot of products out there, on the whole. But if you start looking for things specifically, like a certain region's 3DO production for example, rarity is slowly accrued.

There aren't a lot of people out there looking for just any retro system or game. Most people want X game with Y region code in Z condition or else nothing. Even if there are 50 MvC2's listed for 100 bucks apiece, it still isn't much when you consider that the game was beloved by millions of players. Just as an example, obviously.

There is to some extent a disconnect between availability and demand, but all of those notions go out the window when something is perceived as nostalgic or a collector's item.
m
l
April 13, 2012 12:26:57 PM

Hit the yard sales where you live. It's the best way to find stuff cheap and if you are lucky, you find a gem.
m
l
April 17, 2012 1:45:18 AM

Good discussion and comments.

Something that still has not been answered is: Around what year did this price spiking or disconnect happen?

I am finding Atari systems with 25+ games for $100-$125. This is technically a collectors item, but not in so much demand. I am unsure about TurboGrafx16 systems and games. I think it all starts with Sega Genesis Master system, Nintendo and up from there. It seems we all grew-up and many more people have some ideas or attachments or "want to play what they played or did not get to play".

I remember having discussions with HARDCORE gamers at the end of 2006 who were saying Nintendo games, SNES, etc were a joke and really cheap. Maybe the few titles that the companies did not publically release or the titles that only were made ~25 times were being bidded on for three or four figures. Even then I was told and read about some of these actually rare items being posted on ebay for thousands of dollars and NOBODY willing to pay. Even older PC games were not really of interest to many other people apparently. A few Pc games that are cult classics and industry defining potentially up to today.

These gamers knew their stuff. They were mostly PC gamers and likes Playstations. But they played all the consoles and were in that 23-28 age range in 2006. I trust most of their information. I was the person who looked events or information up, or checked out stores, etc. I was not the gamer who knew what was happening.

It seems in 2007, the costs for most items were fairly low and nothing was really expensive, except a few titles and I think some sold for a high or higher price this year.

Then in 2008 I think the price jumps and price spikes happened. Probably parallel to the problematic financial situation that happened and was created that year. (Not trying to get too political, that can be another thread. I'm sure it's been on the forum.). Is that the trigger? Or was this the year?

I called pawn shops and got a much better rates than the video game store in my city.
m
l
April 17, 2012 1:51:00 AM

I'm old school. I wanthe instruction manual and box. You had to have that before if you traded or sold the cartridge or disc.

That isn't so common today. Some people have split all the media, instruction manual, box and strategy guide and sell it seperately.... :pfff:  :fou: 

Near mint-like condition would be great or at least the manual to know some of the controls. But somethings are hard to come by which should be included, and it's still over-priced.

In the store, they have 5 or 6 more once you buy what's in the case. I know about that one already and have seen it before.
m
l

Best solution

April 17, 2012 2:08:49 AM

SyncroScales said:
Good discussion and comments.

Something that still has not been answered is: Around what year did this price spiking or disconnect happen?

I am finding Atari systems with 25+ games for $100-$125. This is technically a collectors item, but not in so much demand. I am unsure about TurboGrafx16 systems and games. I think it all starts with Sega Genesis Master system, Nintendo and up from there. It seems we all grew-up and many more people have some ideas or attachments or "want to play what they played or did not get to play".

I remember having discussions with HARDCORE gamers at the end of 2006 who were saying Nintendo games, SNES, etc were a joke and really cheap. Maybe the few titles that the companies did not publically release or the titles that only were made ~25 times were being bidded on for three or four figures. Even then I was told and read about some of these actually rare items being posted on ebay for thousands of dollars and NOBODY willing to pay. Even older PC games were not really of interest to many other people apparently. A few Pc games that are cult classics and industry defining potentially up to today.

These gamers knew their stuff. They were mostly PC gamers and likes Playstations. But they played all the consoles and were in that 23-28 age range in 2006. I trust most of their information. I was the person who looked events or information up, or checked out stores, etc. I was not the gamer who knew what was happening.

It seems in 2007, the costs for most items were fairly low and nothing was really expensive, except a few titles and I think some sold for a high or higher price this year.

Then in 2008 I think the price jumps and price spikes happened. Probably parallel to the problematic financial situation that happened and was created that year. (Not trying to get too political, that can be another thread. I'm sure it's been on the forum.). Is that the trigger? Or was this the year?

I called pawn shops and got a much better rates than the video game store in my city.

Probably the early 2000's when classic games finally started getting far enough into the past that the game hipster crowd began masturbating all over obscure titles that in some cases were literally awful in their day. They're the same people that usually come along and bash the games that are prolific toward the end of a niche genre, while extolling vastly overstated virtues of the seminal titles in the same genre that culminated in what they despise. Seems like this crowd has grown rapidly in the last 5 years especially. With a target audience like that, who wouldn't start marking atari games up 1000%?

You've got the right idea. If you want a deal, you have to try to find what you want through avenues that aren't trying to farm a small profit from a rabid group of consumers. Unfortunately, that also makes the ordeal a complete pain in the ass.

If you want to know the unfortunate truth, a lot of the people that drive these prices sky high weren't even alive when half of the games they covet were released.
April 17, 2012 1:12:24 PM

I think it's always been this way for "collectors" items. Used to be that games weren't collectible, and now they are. I live in central PA, there are a few used game stores in the area. I bought mischief makers for the n64 at one of them for $13, but I got the N64 itself, the official game storage cabinet and 10 games for $10.00 at a yard sale.
Ogre Battle 64 at this shop with no box or manual was $50.00.
Yard sales are the way to go, you just don't know what you will find.
m
l
April 17, 2012 11:53:53 PM

Best answer selected by SyncroScales.
m
l
April 18, 2012 12:34:06 AM

A raw way to put it casualcolors. Kind of funny and kind of sad.

I never liked those types who bashed thigs and jumped on what was told to them to jump onto. Like you said casualcolors, they support the seminal stuff.

That happened with RPG's. Anyone remember when only nerds played that type of stuff? I have noticed today that many titles have RPG elements or are out right RPGs. I'd say that 80% of titles could have something RPG in them. I think it's part of the evolutions of games instead of everything being so seperated into title categories. But like the internet and computers being nerdy, everyone is doing it now or uses them throughout the week or month. It's like "Tony Hawk Skating" or a fighting game is cool to play for hours and never go out, but a shooter or specific action game is for losers. It's a reason I stepped away from gaming. The cool crowd and wannabe thugs got into it more.

Fallout 1? Nothing nice to talk about by some in 1998ish-2001....But it was a genre changer and introduced elements people wanted in an RPG (mostly the violence, sexual stuff, etc). At the time that was unheard of. Now...I don't know how the Devs got away with so much... :sarcastic:  :non:  But I read a wiki and I saw on youtube that Fallout references or was influenced by a Commodore 64 game from back in the day.

I have met some hipsters who are young and wern't even born at the time of these old games and consoles. But I was thinking it's mostly older people who might have the interest. Many say that the newer games are too hard or too much. The hipsters mostly seem to want to accumulate roms and play/brag about certain titles, but they even complain about the coveted or sought after titles that are expensive now (wether they are good or not is a different topic).

Yes this process is a pain in the ass to find the old titles or collections. It shouldn't be. I liked before to be able to check out a few stores and a flea maket and find something good or a few items for $50 or less. Those times are over. The stores use to say these are not collectors items, even for harder to finds. Now I am seeing the same store or people trying to get booths at Comic Con and sell collectibles (or "collectibles"). It's hard to talk on the phone and even ask certain questions, the sales pitch and profit farming grates my ears.

How can a console that appears on average every week be $40+ with only one controller? They use to be rejected.

rpg_poser: Good point, sometimes I wonder who decided what is collectible or not. Nice deal. I'm looking for those types of deals. I can see few online, or not.... But havn't got out. Need money.

On the hipster behaviour or clueless trendy type: It's been hard to discuss some things with them when they have no clue about it. They don't know about certain things. Eg: They don't know about that 101% in Donkey Kong Country 1 on SNES and how I think each sequal had something similar, and I think a way to reset the game incase you missed the secret, so you can try again....From the beginning of the game....hahahaha. Even with all the access to the internet, someone will tell me that I do not have a clue about it. Some get it and figure it out though. :hello: 

Another question: Did the smaller and larger video/movie stores and independent stores closing down and selling inventory have anything to do with this?

I wonder if this crowd will die down or die out and prices will stabilize. I think at this point it won't happen. I can see stock slowley falling apart or being thrown away rather than traded and sold. I think the tipping point is over. The only thing that can chage this is if every single title is released digitally by the companies. They should have done that already. I think a few people are still making some money. The money has been made, stop dragging your feet. There is a little extra cash that might be made and people might grab it up digitally.
m
l
April 18, 2012 12:53:20 AM

To be fair, I'm always happy to see younger people getting into games that I enjoyed when I was a kid. I think it's great, so long as it doesn't turn into something that they cultivate their entire personality around. No one wants to hear about the artistic shortcomings of Super Mario 3 from an 18 year old with a technicolor full-sleeve tattoo around his 10-inch bicep. lol
m
l
!