I'm gonna overclock the hell outta my Voodoo3!!!

G

Hehe. I've just found a site which explains how to perform a voltage mod.

I also read in a "confidential" document from 3dfx (rest in peace) that the processors in the different versions of the Voodoo3 run at different voltages (overclocking?).

If you try to run the processor at a higher speed you would then need to up the voltage, just like with a CPU, but you couldn't till now!!!

I'm gonna try the voltage mod, I just need to solder a 1kohm potentiometer to 2 pins and tadaaaaa...

Anyway, if I don't post for two months, it's cause I burnt my Voodoo 3 2000 PCI and had to save for a new card.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

scarecrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So what's this sites url? I would be interested to check it out.

<A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com" target="_new">Join The Tom's Hardware SETI@Home Team</A>

G

Yo dude dont go too nuts i got a voodoo 5 5500. 64meg I found the reg mod to add a oc setting in the voodoo tools. I can run at 187 {stock is 166} if I go to 191 it starts to get red chunks on the screen lol no kiding !! The card has 2 large fans on the chips so if I was u I would get a fat slot fan to cool down that furnace your building try to look for a regeditor for x-tra tools first before you fry your VoOdOo card with voltage!! PS dont use a blowtorch when soldering LOL. have fun

G

Don't worry my Voodoo has got a bigass heatsink + fan (I removed the original heatsink), and I have installed home made ramsinks (with a Pentium heatsink cut in two pieces).

I could not solder the potentiometer, so I shorted the two pins with a pushpin (yes, a pushpin) to max the voltage.

Now I can overclock the card up to 177 Mhz without experiencing artifacts, with 100% stability, if I go further there are many artifacts. Before I couldn't go past 166 Mhz because there were crashes because the core was not getting enough voltage, but I didn't experience artifacts up to 190 Mhz.

So the best thing would be trying to solder the potentiometer and get a balance between artifacts and core voltage and speed, but when I apply the soldering iron with Sn, the pins "repel" the Sn. ¿Can you help me?

The best way to fight boredom is sleeping

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Im not sure what on the card you are soldering, but it may well be covered in protective laquer as a lot of cards are, simply either sand/scrape (carefully) the point you want to solder to, also dont try to solder the pot directly to the card- use fly leads (bits of thin wire)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
You're kidding right?? Are we talking about a Voodoo3 2000
AGP card?? I've got 3 of those....well 2 now....I sold one.

But I got ALL mine to 174mhz core/mem (ROCK STABLE)with Peterson's OC utilities. Uhhh...the default was 143mhz. And they don't need bigger heat sinks either....a little tiny fan keeps them plenty cool.

Did you mean 277mhz???

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

G

I am talking about a Voodoo3 2000 PCI with SGRAM memory, which is supposed to be very overclocking unfriendly.

Without the voltage mod it was rather stable when overclocking but always crashed in 3dMark 2000 in the village scene, I was rather angry with that, and it crashed sometimes in Quake3.

I also did the voltage mod because it was unstable at speeds further than 150Mhz with high PCI bus speeds, now there is no problem with the PCI bus up to 41.5 Mhz.

DAD, MUM, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH (...AND MY COMPUTER IS GETTING RATHER OLD)

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Oh, okay...Since you have PCI, maybe we have apples and oranges then. But our GPUs are probably the same....I think.

You have SGRAM?? I thought it was all FPM, EDO, OR SDRAM

I have the LGS (lucky gold star), SDRAM, 3.3v, 4k refresh, 1x16, T7 RAM speed which I believe is rated for 143mhz - 7ns. And that may be the difference in why you
can’t run as high. I can push the T7 ram to 174 before I get any glitches at all. The code on the chip is as follows: GM72V161621ET7.

Your code can be deciphered at:
http://lehre.technikum-wien.at/fh-e/Adt3-4/Sommersemester/RAM/Identify/lgs.htm

It may be the PCI bus that holds you back....but I thought that was just the amount of data going to the north bridge...not the clock speed limitaion on your card.

It may be your ram isn’t up to those clock speeds. If your code is 7K, or 7J it it rated at 100mhz.
Or if it’s “...8”, then 125mhz.

Gee, they don't tell you this kinda stuff when you buy the PCI card I’ll bet.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

G

I think my ram was 6ms, right now I don't remember the brand.

DAD, MUM, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH (...AND MY COMPUTER IS GETTING RATHER OLD)