Unable to install fax service - Library error

May 3, 2004 12:34:28 PM

(Type your message here)
When going to Control Panel, Add or Remove Software, Add/Remove Windows Component I get the following error message:

"The installation library for component fax could not be initialized"

After clicking Ok I see the normal windows, except the Fax option isn't in the list.
Am I the only one who has expirienced this problem?
--------------------------------
From: Simon Elmer

-----------------------
Posted by a user from AdminLife (http://www.adminlife.com/)

<Id>YnSl9c0ynU6YfLlWPZW3mg==</Id>
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 9:09:38 PM

If your installation of Windows XP was from a CD, you will be prompted to
insert the CD and may need to browse to the i386 Folder so the installation
routine can find the necessary files. If your installation files are on the
hard drive, you may need to direct the routine to the i386 Folder there. If
you have applied SP1, these files may have been moved to a different folder
(ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the routine to that
folder.

If your installation was performed by an OEM (original equipment
manufacturer), it will be the responsibility of the OEM to supply those
files. Unfortunately, the installation disks supplied by many OEM's do not
contain the necessary files and you will need to contact the OEM to obtain
them. The fax installation files are not available to download from
Microsoft.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"Simon Elmer via AdminLife" <anonymous@adminlife.com> wrote in message
> (Type your message here)
> When going to Control Panel, Add or Remove Software, Add/Remove Windows
Component I get the following error message:

> "The installation library for component fax could not be initialized"
>
> After clicking Ok I see the normal windows, except the Fax option isn't in
the list.
> Am I the only one who has expirienced this problem?
> --------------------------------
> From: Simon Elmer
>
> -----------------------
> Posted by a user from AdminLife (http://www.adminlife.com/)
>
> <Id>YnSl9c0ynU6YfLlWPZW3mg==</Id>
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 2:16:02 PM

Hi Russ
Thank you for your reply, which I saw only today.
My XP profesionel is an OEM version, so it is probably as you describe. I do have another cd with xp, I just don't know which files that are relevant. Can you give me the file names?

All the best

Simon
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 10:05:56 PM

You didn't quote the rest of the post, so I have no idea to what you are
referring. I doubt you'll be able to install fax from anything other than
the original installation source. The files on the CD will be compressed.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

!