MSI Bringing "Killer" NIC Tech to MoBos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christop

Distinguished
All the review I have read about this nic shows no improvements over the normal one that comes on board. I would guess this will add another 100 bucks to the price also.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]All the review I have read about this nic shows no improvements over the normal one that comes on board. I would guess this will add another 100 bucks to the price also.[/citation]

I agree. Is there unbiased proof it does anything useful?

G

The big bang mobos already come with pcie sound cards, so bundling a NIC card with it as well wouldnt be that big of a surprise. I would go MSI over Asus for that feature if it does not add any cost.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Tom's needs to do a review of the newest Killer 2100 card, since they seemed to have improved it over their last gen.

I would definitely try the card if it had 2 ports with a $60 price tag, but as of now it only has 1 port for $70 at newegg.

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I don't understand why buying that thing is such a big deal. Spend $30 on an Intel based PCI or PCI-E NIC and it will have just the same performance.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Does anybody actually do any research before they post a comment? Here is another idea, try owning the product before commenting the usefulness of it. Or at the very least, you've tried the component for a while.

I have a Killer nic (2007) and it does work. It only dropped my ping by 2ms BUT, there was a definite improvement when all hell breaks loose on the battlefield.

As for your review

http://www.kitguru.net/networking/zardon/bigfoot-killer-2100-gaming-network-card-review/

See you(first) on the battlefield.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
The killer nic has some cool features like allowing the nic to take over the processing of VOIP and torrent configs but really the every day user isn't going to use that and spending that money would be better spent on other hardware.

If MSI can add this tech without any added cost that would be great.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]lljones[/nom]Does anybody actually do any research before they post a comment? Here is another idea, try owning the product before commenting the usefulness of it. Or at the very least, you've tried the component for a while. I have a Killer nic (2007) and it does work. It only dropped my ping by 2ms BUT, there was a definite improvement when all hell breaks loose on the battlefield. As for your reviewSee you(first) on the battlefield.[/citation]
Yeah, I have read plenty of reviews on this product for years and the price/performance ratio is not even worth it...to this day! And I told you that without even owning it! :)

Don't want it if it costs more than a dollar or two. My router and just about any current router does QOS which is essentailly the same thing. The QOS on the router will make sure when I play games that other network traffic say wife browsing the web etc gets a lower priority. I just don't get optimizing a NIC like this since at best you might get 2-3ms lower pings and thats if you have a failry slow internet connection. Everytimme I see something on Killer NIC cards I wonder how they are still around.

btw I have read reviews on this card and it seems milage will vary. Most games today primarily use UDP which is a very lightweight protocol. If you want lower TCP pings in games like WOW google "Leatrix Latency Fix".

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Why would anyone buy a Killer NIC over a Intel NIC for around double the cost?

I see no advantage sure their are some fancy throttling features the Killer Nic software can do, but a open source router can be set to do the same thing for the entire network and from a earlier section of the input data signal chain. Most of the throttling options are also commonly available for software you'd actually use it with like torrents.

A open source router+intel nic can be had for right about the same cost as a killer nic so it make no sense at all getting a killer nic.

G

id rather see them push for fiber optic cable mass adoption to reduce packet-loss and improve online fps

mavroxur

Distinguished
After reading the piles of comments from people, it's very obvious that people don't understand the benefits of offloading the TCP stack to a hardware engine, instead of letting the OS handle the stack. The benefits are proven, and have been several times. Do your research before spouting off uneducated comments.

[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]After reading the piles of comments from people, it's very obvious that people don't understand the benefits of offloading the TCP stack to a hardware engine, instead of letting the OS handle the stack. The benefits are proven, and have been several times. Do your research before spouting off uneducated comments.[/citation]

When im paying $200 for something IM EXPECTING $200 WORTH OF RESULTS

MSI will never bring results, nor will an overpriced network card.

[citation][nom]lljones[/nom]Does anybody actually do any research before they post a comment? Here is another idea, try owning the product before commenting the usefulness of it. Or at the very least, you've tried the component for a while. I have a Killer nic (2007) and it does work. It only dropped my ping by 2ms BUT, there was a definite improvement when all hell breaks loose on the battlefield. As for your reviewhttp://www.kitguru.net/networking/ [...] rd-review/See you(first) on the battlefield.[/citation]

Is that worth hundreds of dollars? Have you ever used an Intel branded network controller?

[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]Couple this with the new Lucid Hydra chip and MSI could have one of the best all-around motherboards for gamers on their hands...[/citation]

Lucid Hyrda is software bound - dead end, its why stupid MSI is the only company who looked at it, msi is all show and no guns - pure rubbish.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]After reading the piles of comments from people, it's very obvious that people don't understand the benefits of offloading the TCP stack to a hardware engine, instead of letting the OS handle the stack. The benefits are proven, and have been several times. Do your research before spouting off uneducated comments.[/citation]

You are aware that the cheapest Killer NIC card is $77 on newegg, right? If you did your research, you'd find that putting $77 into, say, a faster video card would show much better results than this worthless card. If they physically integrated this into MSI motherboards and reduced the price, I could stand by that. But, I'm not going to waste a pci slot on an over-priced, under-performing product.

Status
Not open for further replies.