Control of the Page Width Using the WinPrint Print Process..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

Could someone please explain how I can control the printable page width on my printer. My printer is set up for PCL-5 and I have zero margins set in my printer and also in the "Letter" form and therefore was hoping I could print an image file to almost the full 8.5" page width. However, results yield a page width of approx. 7.9-8.0". If I set my printer to Tiff mode and send it a tiff file by copying to the port direct therefore bypassing the winprint processor (or atleast I think it does), it prints the full page width or close to it. I am not sure if this is a Winprint problem or the PCL-5 implementation within the printer.
If anyone has any ideas, or can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.
4 answers Last reply
More about control page width winprint print process
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

    Printing Solution Center for Windows Products
    http://www.microsoft.com/insider/printhelp/

    Resources for Troubleshooting Printing Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q308028

    How to Troubleshoot Windows Printing Problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q260/1/42.asp

    Windows Printer Driver Support
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q156/0/82.asp

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Duncan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could someone please explain how I can control the printable page width on
    > my printer. My printer is set up for PCL-5 and I have zero margins set in
    > my printer and also in the "Letter" form and therefore was hoping I could
    > print an image file to almost the full 8.5" page width. However, results
    > yield a page width of approx. 7.9-8.0". If I set my printer to Tiff mode
    > and send it a tiff file by copying to the port direct therefore bypassing
    > the winprint processor (or atleast I think it does), it prints the full
    > page width or close to it. I am not sure if this is a Winprint problem or
    > the PCL-5 implementation within the printer.
    > If anyone has any ideas, or can shed some light on this, I would
    > appreciate it.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

    It is the printer driver that determines how close to the edge of the page
    that Word can print. A quarter inch border sounds about right.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    Web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site www.mvps.org/word
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

    Duncan wrote:
    > Could someone please explain how I can control the printable page
    > width on my printer. My printer is set up for PCL-5 and I have zero
    > margins set in my printer and also in the "Letter" form and therefore
    > was hoping I could print an image file to almost the full 8.5" page
    > width. However, results yield a page width of approx. 7.9-8.0". If I
    > set my printer to Tiff mode and send it a tiff file by copying to the
    > port direct therefore bypassing the winprint processor (or atleast I
    > think it does), it prints the full page width or close to it. I am
    > not sure if this is a Winprint problem or the PCL-5 implementation
    > within the printer. If anyone has any ideas, or can shed some light
    > on this, I would appreciate it.

    Thanks for the reply Graham...

    I appreciate you taking the time to reply Kelly..... Thanks.

Microsoft Printers Windows XP