Control of the Page Width Using the WinPrint Print Process..

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Printers
  • Windows XP
May 4, 2004 1:16:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

Could someone please explain how I can control the printable page width on my printer. My printer is set up for PCL-5 and I have zero margins set in my printer and also in the "Letter" form and therefore was hoping I could print an image file to almost the full 8.5" page width. However, results yield a page width of approx. 7.9-8.0". If I set my printer to Tiff mode and send it a tiff file by copying to the port direct therefore bypassing the winprint processor (or atleast I think it does), it prints the full page width or close to it. I am not sure if this is a Winprint problem or the PCL-5 implementation within the printer.
If anyone has any ideas, or can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

More about : control page width winprint print process

May 4, 2004 7:18:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

Printing Solution Center for Windows Products
http://www.microsoft.com/insider/printhelp/

Resources for Troubleshooting Printing Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q308028

How to Troubleshoot Windows Printing Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q260/1...

Windows Printer Driver Support
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q156/0...

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Duncan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could someone please explain how I can control the printable page width on
> my printer. My printer is set up for PCL-5 and I have zero margins set in
> my printer and also in the "Letter" form and therefore was hoping I could
> print an image file to almost the full 8.5" page width. However, results
> yield a page width of approx. 7.9-8.0". If I set my printer to Tiff mode
> and send it a tiff file by copying to the port direct therefore bypassing
> the winprint processor (or atleast I think it does), it prints the full
> page width or close to it. I am not sure if this is a Winprint problem or
> the PCL-5 implementation within the printer.
> If anyone has any ideas, or can shed some light on this, I would
> appreciate it.

Anonymous
May 4, 2004 1:13:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

It is the printer driver that determines how close to the edge of the page
that Word can print. A quarter inch border sounds about right.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

Web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site www.mvps.org/word
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Duncan wrote:
> Could someone please explain how I can control the printable page
> width on my printer. My printer is set up for PCL-5 and I have zero
> margins set in my printer and also in the "Letter" form and therefore
> was hoping I could print an image file to almost the full 8.5" page
> width. However, results yield a page width of approx. 7.9-8.0". If I
> set my printer to Tiff mode and send it a tiff file by copying to the
> port direct therefore bypassing the winprint processor (or atleast I
> think it does), it prints the full page width or close to it. I am
> not sure if this is a Winprint problem or the PCL-5 implementation
> within the printer. If anyone has any ideas, or can shed some light
> on this, I would appreciate it.
May 6, 2004 7:01:04 PM

Thanks for the reply Graham...
May 6, 2004 7:06:04 PM

I appreciate you taking the time to reply Kelly..... Thanks.
!