Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Laptop won't run games

Last response: in Video Games
April 9, 2012 8:58:01 PM

Okay so here is the problem. When I try to open a game it does nothing but gives my the loading cursor for awhile then back to normal. I have looked into task manager and it says that the game is running in the process section yet it shows nothing in the application section. It's only doing this to Direct X based games if they means anything (NFS Underground II, NFS Carbon, GTA SA, GTA VC). Minecraft runs with no problems. All help is appreciated

More about : laptop run games

a b D Laptop
April 9, 2012 9:29:39 PM

specs of your laptop would help
m
l
April 9, 2012 9:36:17 PM

Well if I'm playing games from the PS2 era you know my specs aren't great
Laptop is Dell Inspiron 1545
CPU- Pentium IV @ 2.3GHZ
3gb of ram
Windows 7 Ultimate
What else is worth listing?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
April 9, 2012 9:41:43 PM

your video card, unless you don't have a dedicated one, which is then the answer to your problem.
m
l
April 9, 2012 9:52:45 PM

It isn't dedicated, I know that isn't the problem though because it used to be able to play those games. Sometimes it plays them sometime they don't boot which makes no sense to me what so ever. I was however playing around with the compatibility today and set the games to run on XP but they still wouldn't boot until I turned it on and turned it back on later. Not only do they run but they take up the whole screen so I think (but am not completely sure) that I fixed my own problem.
m
l
a c 249 D Laptop
April 9, 2012 11:52:33 PM

AntiZig said:
your video card, unless you don't have a dedicated one, which is then the answer to your problem.

Hi :) 

Dell 1545 lappies dont have a video card, just a rubbish onboard chip.....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l

Best solution

a c 462 D Laptop
April 10, 2012 12:12:50 AM

The problem you are running into is that you are trying to run some old games in Windows 7. Not every old game will be 100% compatible with Windows 7. I am assuming they worked in the past because you had Windows XP installed on the laptop.

GTA SA is officially not compatible with Windows 7 according to Microsoft...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-...

The following video shows how to get GTA SA to work with Windows 7. I can't guarantee that it will work because I played GTA SA about 7 years ago.

GTA VC basically uses the same game engine as GTA SA so maybe you can follow the same steps. Do a general Google search on "[name of game] Windows 7 fix" to see if there are ways to get your old games to run in Win 7.
April 20, 2012 11:38:35 AM

jaguarskx said:
The problem you are running into is that you are trying to run some old games in Windows 7. Not every old game will be 100% compatible with Windows 7. I am assuming they worked in the past because you had Windows XP installed on the laptop.

GTA SA is officially not compatible with Windows 7 according to Microsoft...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-...

The following video shows how to get GTA SA to work with Windows 7. I can't guarantee that it will work because I played GTA SA about 7 years ago.

GTA VC basically uses the same game engine as GTA SA so maybe you can follow the same steps. Do a general Google search on "[name of game] Windows 7 fix" to see if there are ways to get your old games to run in Win 7.

I'll have to give that a shot
m
l
April 20, 2012 11:38:57 AM

Best answer selected by MrPintar14.
m
l
!