Fallout New Vegas HD 4670 Stuttering/Lag

1addictedplayer

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hello, I have made a few posts before asking questions and a while back I bought FNV and I noticed it wasn't lagging until I moved to a new area.

Say I am traveling to the next town or something, as I am traveling I will get random stuttering from what I think is the grass and trees loading up.

Fallout 3 runs perfect at 50 FPS.
Fallout New Vegas runs just as good, but it's whenever I am traveling outside and loading up more objects like grass, and trees.

I don't know what the deal is since Fallout 3 doesn't do it, and they are basically the same engine and graphics. It doesn't matter if I lower view distance or higher view distance or lower graphic settings, it still just has random stuttering.

So, is there a fix for this? I've seen fixes before that removes stuttering, but I heard that it isn't needed after a patch last year, I think my game was automatically patched, but I am not sure. (I have Steam which automatically patches games I believe, and Bethesda's website is too confusing for me to navigate to re-download the patch.)
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times, but it didn't help.
If anybody knows if there is a fix for it, please tell me.

Edit: I forgot to put my computer specs, silly me:

My PC specs are: (Note these are taking from Canyourunit.com when I scanned if I could run it.)
CPU:AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor

CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz Performance Rated at: 4.80 GHz

RAM: 3 GB RAM (I have 4 GB total RAM. but 1 GB is in use for the HD 4670 I think.)

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 32-bit

Video Card: HIS Ati Radeon HD 4670
Direct link to one I purchased: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161337

Video Card Attributes / Video RAM:
3D Yes
Hardware T&L Yes
Pixel Shader version 4.1
Vertex Shader version 4.1
Dedicated Video RAM 1.0 GB

1addictedplayer

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

Yes it starts right after I pull it up and start exploring the wasteland.

I am not monitoring my temps nor do I know my PSU brand or anything like that since I had this computer built for me and am not a technical person.

I do know my computer can run Skyrim on medium fine and GTA Iv on Medium and a decent resolution fine, and so I can with Fallout 3 which is basically the same engine and everything.
Fallout New Vegas isn't much different than Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 runs perfect, so I see no reason why the temp or anything like that is the problem since New Vegas and Fallout 3 is basically the same everything when it comes to system requirements.

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Have you defragged the HD since installing the game? That I know for sure can cause that kind of stuttering, I especially noticed it after installing the DLC and several mods. If you have reinstalled it several times the files can be all over the place on the HD. Also if you have any high res mods/updates installed that can cause stuttering on objects entering the draw distance. You are running steam so it should be fully updated, are you running up to date video drivers? Optimizations for New Vegas may have been implemented.

DM186

Splendid
Ok since you don't know your stuff and I did not know that game is a steam based game. So have you updated the Verify Integrity of Game Cache? Some times you have to do that inorder to make sure any updates are in stalled.

Go to Steam. At the top left click on games then left click on view games library then on New Vegas Right Click on it then left click on properties then left click on local files then left click on Varify Integrity Cache.

It will start an update and it will take a few minutes then try your game. If you have to delete your game and redownload there is a program that will take all of the files that go with the game or even related to the game.

Completly out. It is like a driver sweeper but it is an uninstall program. I will link it to you. Try what was posted above and what I suggested and see if your problem doesn't go a way.

http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

1addictedplayer

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

It can't be that I kept re-installing or whatever, because when I first installed it, it was doing it. So, it can't be that the files are being cluttered.

As said, I don't know anything about computers and I don't know what you mean by defragging the HD.

I have no mods on, no DLCs. It's just the regular Fallout New Vegas.

I doubt it has anything to do with the files being cluttered or the files in general.

I can confirm that it is when it's loading up objects, since I was testing it earlier and it was whenever a good size house or a ton of grass / trees would load up is when it lags for a second.

xendazzle

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
hi i had a similar problem, do you experience this "stuttering" more when moving horizontally? i almost smashed my computer vowed to never buy anything from bethe*^a, then i opened my fallout_default.ini and changed ifpsclamp=0 to ifpsclamp=60 and it runs smooth. now my urge to kill is fading and will buy fallout 5. i hope this works for you

mattdc123

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Thank god, this finally worked for me, ty!

xendazzle

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

cool. enjoy fallout NV! still such a great game.. does your skyrim have a similar problem? i did it was unplayable but for me i found running it on windowed mode got better performance, with a few changes you can force it to go fullscreen 1920 x 1080 in windowed mode and runs great. A mod called simple boarderless window can help. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4/?

mattdc123

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
[cool. enjoy fallout NV! still such a great game.. does your skyrim have a similar problem? i did it was unplayable but for me i found running it on windowed mode got better performance, with a few changes you can force it to go fullscreen 1920 x 1080 in windowed mode and runs great. A mod called simple boarderless window can help. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4/?[/quotemsg]

Never seemed to have a problem with skyrim. But thx anyway.